View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #85
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
On paper the idea of translating the pro-wrestling version of 'flash knockouts' is sound and accurate to the show, but this runs into an issue I've spoken about for years about the eternal contradiction of designing essentially a sports combat simulation... of an openly scripted sports entertainment show.

The win/loss conditions are based on an open ended fighting game technically speaking, but these are rules that honestly do not exist on the show. Superstars don't actually win or lose because of stamina management and physical strategy as with actual contact sports. The win/loss reality of actual pro-wrestling is who had the best match of the night. Who got the biggest pop, who got the night's big moment, who's capturing the crowd. These are what usually controls a wrestlers career (setting aside the politics).

But the games are designed with the ruleset and stratagem of pro-wrestling being a real thing. So we are asked to manage stamina, and drain HP, and work the limbs, and basically operate matches in a manner the real guys don't actually do. Who would win between The Rock and Bret Hart? In a bizarre way we know the answer better than these actual men would, if the in-game stats are accurate enough.

Until devs actually gamify the actual win/loss conditions of the real show, we will always have massive contradictory mechanics like Struggle Submission wins (dramatic on TV, bullshit in game), and flash pins (funny or shocking TV moment, extreme salt generator if a player loses that way).

For instance; while they finally added an old idea of mine that the counter window for high flying attacks should be from the opponent's launch rather than connection, it will still be something people will 99% want to avoid once they get the timing down. Imagine a real match where a guy avoids the shit out of every time somebody jumps from the top. Who would pay to see that, realistic as that would be. But a game that makes the real wrestlers end goal yours, well that's a game where maybe I'll take the dive - so I can 'sell' the attack and build sympathy from the crowd to pay off later on. I elaborated on the crowd sympathy thing a long time ago but the point is; that would actually be a pro-wrestling game, rather than a fighting game simulating a fake sport.
Kalyx triaD is offline   Reply With Quote