View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #32
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I've watched a bit of New Japan over the years, but I don't follow it, so I feel (un)qualified enough to post.

* I like the booking. It's actually booked like pro-wrestling, with each match telling a story and not just happening for the sake of it. They have top stars and they protect them. I love that Okada and Tanahashi retaining. Putting the belt on a guy just because he's hot is so...American. Very "see what happens" and not really orchestrating your own stories, and in wrestling, you've got complete control over your stories. Things shouldn't be as "fast and loose" as they are in the west.

* When I first saw New Japan, I was shocked at how "big" it was. They have a screen with entrances and stuff. For some reason I thought Japanese wrestling was just a ring with people and streamers. It's got "gloss." I like that as a fan transitioning from a realm where presentation is king. They feel like a viable alternative, and like "real wrestling" done on a big stage. Makes me like them.

* I'm not a fan of The Young Bucks, but what I saw of their match was...alright. A few silly little spots, like when they both had Sharpshooters -- like only the legal man can win the match, yeah? Things like that take me out. But they were bigger than their opponents, so that division is actually good for them and when reeled in, they have enough talent to be able to be good heels in that division.

* Suzuki is a fucking bad-ass and his "seppuku" with shaving his head made me love the guy. Perfect character work that sells a fucking result. There isn't enough selling in matches these days, but there's not enough selling of wins and losses either. When a guy wins, it should mean the world to him, and when he loses, it should affect his pride, confidence, etc. Suzuki sold that loss like he had dishonored the Suzuki name. Perfect. He could be a babyface now, but he could also beat the piss out of Tanahashi in a rage after making you love him, and "double-down" on being the scariest dude in wrestling. Good stuff.

* Don Callis is really hit-and-miss on commentary. Sometimes he says something insightful. I liked his mentioning of Chris Jericho's dad being in hockey, hence the "hockey fight" environment. I also liked him saying "You're not even the best guy in Winnipeg," which really sums up why Omega is under Jericho's skin. But then he's just...awful. Like he's a really witty guy and funny on Lance Storm's podcast, but he's just...awful.

* Kevin Kelly is pretty good, I guess, in the sense that he clearly loves wrestling and is a fan of what he does, but sometimes he's "reaching" for that WWE emotion. A lot of "acting" and not enough "reacting," I guess.

* Omega seemed a lot more dialed down when being led by Jericho. That being said, he still annoys the piss out of me. His fucking face. I just hate it. He's got this dumb, smug asshole face. And his actions are so fucking cheesy. The gun thing. Then he turns his back to his opponent and hits the ropes just to get beat up. There's a lot of things he does that just make me roll my eyes. I get that he's athletic and does "cool" shit, but I just cannot see where this "best wrestler in the world" shit comes from. AJ Styles is at least 10x better.

* "You cannot escape!" Fuck's sake.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote