View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
Cool King
King K Cool

Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I like both but I went with Kane.

I really liked the Kane gimmick until he was unmasked. That was probably the worst thing you could have done to the gimmick and it was, as it effectively killed the gimmick. Unmasked Kane was alright, I guess, but it was just the beginning of the end really as Kane went from being unmasked, to masked, to unmasked in a suit and back to masked.

The character of "Kane" just didn't make sense anymore and everything that was built up over the near six year period from Kane's debut to his unmasking was just shat on and dumped in the bin, with the only thing still remaining being that he and Undertaker are brothers. The gimmick was a good one however, and I feel one of the last classic wrestling gimmicks as you're never going to get another gimmick like Kane again in today's world of professional wrestling. You're never going to get a character with such an in-depth and compelling backstory and a wrestler who carries so much intrigue with him like Kane did back during his original masked days.

I don't know about everyone else, but as a kid, I really wanted to see Kane's face and I would almost freak out when he would lose his mask as I wanted to see if I could catch a glimpse of his face, but I never did. You get a masked wrestler now and all you have to do is jump on the Internet and you'll either get a picture of him wrestling before donning a mask or thanks to social media, you'll get a picture of him from years ago before he started wrestling.

Finally, he was and still is a good wrestler. He's not as good as he once was but that's what happens when you get older so that's pretty much unavoidable, but he can also surprise you sometimes and pull out a good match every now and then.

I always enjoy Kane's matches and there are some matches that I've watched and thought, "wow, that was a really good match".

I don't think I've never said that about Mick Foley's matches.

Foley is a good guy and his matches were pretty crazy at times and because of that, they're memorable, but they're only memorable for that one moment/spot or two that happens during his matches.

Everyone remembers Undertaker throwing him off the cell but that's about it for most people. They can't recall what happened during the rest of the match. Some people can and mention him being Chokeslammed through the top of the cell, but that's about it for those people. People remember him being punted down some stairs by Randy Orton or The Rock smacking him across the head a few times with a chair but most people only seem to remember moments when it comes to Mick Foley.

Mankind was a good gimmick, it was somewhat dark and interesting, but it didn't last very long (about a year or so?). After that, he was this happy little freak who stuck a sock on his hand and spoke to it. Sure, it was different, but (in my opinion) the new happy Mankind didn't really stand up against the others at the time. Guys like Undertaker, Kane, Austin and even Goldust. He didn't catch my attention like the aforementioned did.

To me at the time, he was just some happy burly dude with a sock on his hand. If Mankind was around today, Micheal Cole would be telling us all that Mankind likes to have fun.

Briefly on the subject of Foley's other gimmicks, I feel Cactus Jack and Dude Love were just Mankind's most well known aspects turned up to eleven with each one basically being "Mankind 2" depending on what aspect was turned up. Cactus Jack was the better of the two in my opinion. He was Mankind's hardcore side turned up to eleven, whereas Dude Love was Mankind's happy goofy side turned up to eleven.

I will give props to Foley's promos though. Out of the two, Foley's promos are miles better. Mankind, Cactus Jack, Dude Love or even as himself, his promos always caught your attention and made you listen. That's something Kane has never really been able to do.

So overall, my vote is for Kane because I feel his gimmick, wrestling and even his look has always been better than Foley's.

Foley only wins it on promos and his niceness for me.
Cool King is offline   Reply With Quote