View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 04:37 AM   #72
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Completely dismissing meta-critic sites and professional reviews because I'm my own authority or movie review and the only real objective metric is talks like this is money earned, and even that is based on something as nebulous as a movie having decent release date or how the marketing helped. So you rarely see me talk about shit like that.

Having said that; Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest superhero movies I've ever seen, maybe the best in my estimation. Not necessarily my favorite, but in terms of tone, wonderment, sense of virtue, action, and other things I believe a superhero movie in general requires - it nails it hard. Through the board. And while Iron Man set the specific tone of the MCU, Raimi's Spider-Man movies generally laid the blueprint of the 'emotionally cored, character driven, comedy + action, holy shit normal people wanna watch comic heroes now' formula. And Spidey 2 was the zenith of this series.

So while I dismiss most reviews that aren't my own, I also can't ignore a comparison to a movie I consider the best of the sub-genre. If they're ignoring Amazing and talking the Raimi stuff as direct comparison, my eyebrow raises.

Being that the MCU taking the piss is still them dropping an entertaining movie (Dr Strange, sorry), they almost brilliantly excused themselves from the burden of competing in the superhero genre in the traditional sense. They have the advantage of being a macro-series that, I think, 'forces' people to see these movies to continue this... Movie Show. Ten years of canon at over 20 movies is nothing to scoff at. So even if Homecoming is so-so, and we hear it's so-so before buying a ticket, we're still gonna watch it. Long form binge watching that will forgive filler and meh episodes so long as we get the good ones.
Kalyx triaD is offline   Reply With Quote