View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 05:46 AM   #33
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
David "Solid Snake" Hayter on Videogame Movies:

Quote:
"When we were... adapting X-Men, the first X-Men, [the studio] kept saying, 'Why is it so serious? Why are these people so serious?' It's like, 'Well... it's life and death, and the world hates them and [everyone is] trying to kill them, so you'd be serious too. So I think there is a huge element of studio executives seeing the value and the numbers that the video games sell in but [they] don't really appreciate how elevated that medium has become, and how far beyond studio movies video games have become."

"If you don't take the source material seriously, then you're never going to adapt it well. And you're certainly never going to adapt it to the standards of video game fans, who are pretty exacting and have come to expect a pretty serious product when they put down their money."

According to Hayter, it will take a few X-Men or Iron Man quality blockbuster films. "And suddenly you will be getting better quality in terms of the writing and the directors that come on board these things. I just think there's still a subtle prejudice with them that has to be gotten around."
With Hayter working on an adaption of Lost Planet (and having a complete Metal Gear Solid script Konami doesn't wanna read), Hayter may be the guy who gives the sub-genre the kick in the ass... sort of like when he did it X-Men (he also wrote Watchmen).

I have my own theories on why videogame movies will never be critically accepted by general movie goers or gamers (and exceptions like Mortal Kombat has factors that support my views), but I would like to see future attempts try to crack the 'code'.
Kalyx triaD is offline   Reply With Quote