View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #496
road doggy dogg
wekasauce

road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)road doggy dogg makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The console is a blast to play. I thoroughly enjoyed everything I played. They had several games available to play. The only ones I recall that we didn't get a chance to try out were Puyo Puyo Tetris, Disgaea, and Just Dance 2017. Wanted to play Tetris but cbf to bother with Just Dance. Already kind of know what I'm getting in D5 so didn't feel too bummed about missing out on that. I'll try to recap as best as I can the games we did play. In no particular order:

1-2 Switch
It definitely felt like the "Wii Sports" title of the franchise. Very disappointed that it isn't simply being bundled with the console. The games were fun, don't get me wrong. Really, I would have liked a title like this to have been fleshed out further and just made into a WarioWare title tbh. Seems like that would be a perfect way to showcase the console while retaining familiarity with consumers. The cow milking thing is hilarious. I lost to my buddy (13 cups of milk to his 14), but made sure to retain full eye contact at all time. Definitely a fun title overall, not sure I'd pay like $60 or w/e for it. (that last sentence will be a common theme as I go on)

Arms
Definitely an awesome game. I was skeptical at first (seems to be the consensus review of this game) but it was intense. I suck at/generally don't like fighting games but this was a different beast. Lots of mobility, and blocking and jumping n shit felt great. Only played for a Bo3 round so didn't get to see all the game had to offer but it feels like a pretty shallow title in terms of the total package. Seemingly lots of unlockables, though. Again, I think this is a title I'd feel comfortable paying like $30 rather than $60 for.

Has-Been Heroes
I'm not as in-tune with things as someone like Hasney or w/e so honestly wasn't sure what this was, entirely. It felt very much like Plants vs Zombies + the Find Mii Streetpass minigame thing. But with more strategy involved. Almost felt like some indie board game where you have to juggle when to do certain moves, etc. I dunno. I actually really enjoyed it, I may keep an eye on it in the future. I could see myself dumping several hours into this type of game (it's technically a roguelike) to see how far I can push myself.

Splatoon 2
I was really happy during the announce trailer that they weren't simply porting Splatoon over and were instead making a full sequel. Smart move. That being said, the game plays identically to Splatoon, with a few new guns or w/e it is. This is not a bad thing, just something to be aware of. The new Dual Splatties (I think that's what they're called) are nice but don't really feel all that revolutionary. Being able to do a dodge roll while out of ink was awesome, yet somehow that's only allowable when using the new gun. Did a second round using a Splattershot and kept trying to roll but was unable to. Seems like they should have just added that option as a new core movement thing to the game, not specific to one gun. But anyway. It's Splatoon. If you've played Splatoon, you'll know exactly what you're getting. Probably a day-one purchase for me when it launches, even if I'll feel a little ripped off doing so.

Ultra Street Fighter II
I don't know, it's fucking Street Fighter 2. With VIOLENT Ken. Meh.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
So, I'm probably one of a handful of people in North America who own a Wii U but do not own Mario Kart 8 already. So, for me, this is a great thing to come out for the Switch. It's basically MK8 with the DLC, and a better battle mode. I'm sold.

Snipperclips
Weird little puzzle game. Seemed fun. Seemed like something I'd buy for $8 on the 3DS eShop more than anything, though. Can't imagine spending much more than that on something like this, and I don't feel like being on the Switch does anything particularly special for it.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Oh baby. It's Zelda. I've intentionally been trying to avoid spoilers etc. for the game to go in fresh, but I couldn't just ignore it. They had 20 minute play sessions for BotW set up. Did the whole intro thing and all, and the game just feels incredible. Picking up like a woodcutter's axe and swinging it, the weapon has appropriate weighting to it and everything feels very crisp. The equipment/crafting etc. has me excited. A lot of the small details feel very nice too, like enemies who are downwind of you will pick up your scent, and there is a temperature gauge so as you wear more/heavier equipment your temp goes up. Feels like this is Nintendo's most ambitious stab at making a modernized title in quite some time that isn't just some gimmick that nobody else is doing, y'know? That being said, the fact that it is coming out on both the Switch and Wii U kind of makes the system as a whole feel kind of... I dunno, cheapened? I'm getting it on Switch at launch regardless. The scope of BotW makes every other title feel lacking in comparison.

Super Bomberman R
It's Bomberman. It's great. Me and my buddy did a 4 player FFA with a set of Nintendo socks on the line. I lost. Fuck my life. I love Bomberman.

Sonic Mania
It was... Sonic 2. With a new level? Eh?

Skylanders: Imaginators
I dunno, Skylanders was there so we pissed about on it. The animation of Bowser gliding across a chain was very poorly done. That's my only real takeaway tbh. Game seemed fun though, just nothing I am particularly interested in, I guess. Felt very Ratchet n Clank, which is cool and all, but nothing I'd be lining up for on a new console.

Overall the games felt great. But like I said, a lot of the games, especially compared to the scope of Zelda, felt more like $20-40 type purchases, not full $60 items. (not sure what the MSRP on any of them is). Some of the stuff like Snipperclips felt like it could easily be on the 3DS. But Zelda and Splatoon and some of the other stuff alone makes me very excited for the system.

The controller itself felt fine. Much smaller than I thought it would be but it never really "felt" small, if that makes sense. My biggest gripe is that the ZL and L / ZR and R buttons are far too close together. Pro Controller felt solid. The docked joycons felt good. Using the screen with the joycons attached felt more ergonomic than the Wii U Gamepad as well, IMO.

Overall very excited for March 3rd.
road doggy dogg is offline   Reply With Quote