View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #46
hb2k
Do Unto Others...

hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)hb2k has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Rey 2.0 View Post
The real barometer is going to be box office. Money talks. The positive reviews the film is getting will likely help but moviegoer word of mouth will also play a big role in whether it's going to crash and burn or be a hit.
Bingo.

I hated the trailer. And moreover, I hated my then-roommate trying to convince me that it was still worth looking forward to, and trying to make it a gender issue. It's not. Women have been headlining films since fuck knows when, at least the 30s, this is not a breakthrough of any kind. It's a shit film issue. They took a franchise people have fond memories of and they painted it with the same unfunny Hollywood trying-to-amuse brush that films like Bridesmaids strive for.

But if everybody pays to see it, regardless of whether the people that leave think it's good or bad, it's accomplished it's goal as a spectacle that people wanted to see for themselves. And that would be the biggest crime of all - that Hollywood figured out a way to rape and cheapen people's memories with a blatant cash-grab remake, throw lazy comedy in there, and still came out better off for it. It deserves to bomb. I don't hate the idea of an all-women cast in an action film. I hate the idea of anybody, male or female, filling shoes that are impossible to fill.

It's not as if the perfect cast and concept came along, and it was like "you know what these guys would make great? The Ghostbusters franchise!" They were looking at old franchises they could exploit for a quick buck, and they figured the only way to avoid a direct comparison was to use women. Fine on paper, Bill Murray himself years ago said that would be the only way it would have a chance to fly - female cast, different style of film, but some core principles intact to appease the people that want it to be true to the original.

But just watching that trailer, there's no heart in it whatsoever. I want it to fail to stop this lazy element of cinema that has found itself relying on superheroes and remakes. If it does record business, we all lose.
hb2k is offline   Reply With Quote