View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #2186
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I don't think it's a big deal at all. I don't really view things like that. I can understand how people are purists about their characters though, and don't mean to be "racist" in complaining.

Even if comic companies intentionally incorporate or reappropriate races among characters, I don't really have an issue with that either. It's not like they're trying to call attention to it and distract from the stories. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury isn't trying to "blacken" the character in a way that's unintentionally offensive and stupid. He's just Nick Fury, with a new look. I think that's more than fine.

The truth is, most of the iconic superheroes are white males because they were created in a time when the social climate was much different, and the creators probably felt pressured to make all of their heroes from a mold. As sad as it is, a non-white superhero probably wouldn't have been recieved well back then.
There have been some great characters that have come along over the years now that diversity is accepted and creators have more freedom.
Jeritron is offline   Reply With Quote