View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 AM   #36
mitchables
bonjour

mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
i'm about six episodes in, digging it heaps and v impressed etc but my issue is less with the show itself than its role in the mcu and what it says about how fractured marvel's 'shared' universe has gotten when you've got not only major franchise characters that can't be referred to by name ("the big green guy", "the flag waver" etc) or their actions only get referred to in passing ("the incident", "dropping a city out of the sky"), not to mention the barely noticeable tv adventures of s.h.i.e.l.d, but you've got two shows on the same freaking network/streaming service/whatever that are supposed to be part and parcel of establishing a big ol' team-up show down the line but feel barely related at this stage. maybe i am speaking out of turn having not yet watched to the conclusion, i don't know.

i know there's a crossover still to come with the night nurse and all but like... no passing reference to the vigilante running around hell's kitchen? the fact that there were like... several explosions in a few days in the neighbourhood? daredevil was literally all over the frigging news in his own show, but to watch jessica jones you wouldn't know it. there have been plenty of opportunities for throwaway references - not even direct ones TO murdock, but even just things in his universe; jeri could've offered to refer hope's case to the other big firm that matt and foggy left to start theirs, for example, just to show this is still the same borough, much less the same universe.

just seems weird that on arrow/flash, every other week it's "cisco whipped this up at star labs" or "i sent this to caitlin" or "barry couldn't be here", or once or twice a season, "holy shit it's barry and caitlin and cisco" and it's like, YEAH, arrow and flash SHARE a universe. this is nice. this is good. this is how it should be. it's not JUST the payoff of having robert downey jr show up at the end of your hulk movie so that it can be claimed to be 'in continuity'; especially on tv, it's the week-to-week reminders that this is still a part of something bigger that also count.

i get that jessica jones, being a max book, technically occupied her own little corner of the marvel universe anyway, but her best friend was carol danvers and she solved cases for superheroes and luke cage became an avenger, so she didn't exist in a vacuum. and with things moving towards defenders faster than they seem prepared for, i don't know if playing it the same way they played the pre-avengers films - ie completely separately - is the best path to take. or, if it is, then the singular 'shared universe' maybe doesn't matter off the big-screen as much as we thought it did.
mitchables is offline   Reply With Quote