View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #174
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Yeah not trying to dismiss you here, but I don't think any of those had more potential than what they got. Fandango and Sandow are both Curtain jerkers. Fun curtain jerkers, but never had the IT factor.

Ziggler was and is a semi main event hand. He's a guy you can stick in there with other guys and give you a good little match. Up until the last 6 or 12 months I would say he's been pushed really hard. Always at or near the top of the card. But then he stated to run his mouth publically and ventured into other forms of entertainment. Hard to put the machine behind someone who has one foot out the door.
... unless that's what WWE plans for you, you mean.

No bones have been made about this exact thing being the endgame for being behind Roman from the get go. But someone other than pre-picked people wanting to try their hand at other shit? Preposterous!

And Zigs has never truly been consistently pushed. He is one of those start/stop victims.

One of the biggest problems with WWE booking is exactly what you said about Sandow and Fandango: the idea that certain people are "fun curtain jerkers" and nothing more. If they get presented that way all the time, people will ultimately think just that. WWE themselves have the ability to change ghat perception for a good majority of their roster. They just don't.

Right now, you have AJ Styles. The major knock I've read in this thread is how he doesn't have anything others on the roster don't. I disagree. He has his name. In spite of the WWE idea of "TNA doesn't exist", people who watch wrestling know who the fucking guy is. He got a good pop at the Rumble simply from the word "phenomenal" appearing on a screen. His match with Jericho, while nothing earth-shaking, was pretty damn decent considering they haven't crossed paths. In-ring, it was back and forth enough to give AJ footing to show a WWE crowd (kayfabe wise) he "can hang with a big name". He also is a decent wrestler. The teasing of the heel turn by Chris also opens a door for a feud, which would give AJ something to do on TV to help those unfamiliar give a shit. There announce team did something they rarely seemed to do since the departure of JR: put over in-ring talent that isn't Cena being "freakishly strong" or something to blow smoke over everyone about Roman. (Although, to be fair, it *is* getting better... but it is slow going, and likely out of neccessity with the whole plague of injuries issue- they HAVE to try to put people over in the booth).

And they did it to the guy who was, for quite awhile, the FRANCHISE of that wrestling show that doesn't exist. They could have just as easily planted the usual "who is this goof?" Or "He doesn't belong here!" types of ear worms that don't shine decent light on up-and-coming talent. The only remaining obstacle is if, after the assumed feud with Jericho is over, he gets demoted to Main Event duty and is not seen for like 6-8 months on a show people actually watch.

It is a good start in presentation. His only flaw might be his promo ability (I don't mean his accent), and Jeff Hardy became a goddamn megastar years ago with less ability on the stick than AJ. And this shouldn't have to be prefaced (but of course it does), I'm not suggesting AJ gets a rocket up his ass and he headlines WrestleMania for the championship, but not automatically pigeonhole him into a curtain-jerking position just because he isn't tall like Strowman or fondly remembered from WCW like Sting, either.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote