View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #9216
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Logan Lucky 8/10 - Great fun, very smart caper which really wasn't what I expected. Adam Driver was good but Daniel Craig was hilarious.

Office Christmas Party - 7.5/10 - So much funnier than I hoped. A consistently funny and endearing little adult Christmas number.

Trance - 4/10 - Fucking terrible. This was like a shit remake of some weird French film but apparently it's an original opportunity to make another uninspired mess. Danny Boyle is caught in his own hype. He hasn't made a great film for a while and on rewatching none of his films really stand up as well as Shallow Grave. Trainspotting was always overrated but recent Boyle is bizarre and disappointing for me. T2, 127 Hours, Sunshine and Trance are all films that pretty much any generic director could have made.

Brawl In Cell Block 99 - 9/10 - After Bone Tomahawk we get this glorious and timely contribution to the prison genre. It seems like too long since a director making a genre film just said "fuck it" and instead of trope swerving just drives right through them. This is a brilliant film. It has big budget B movie written all over it and stood alongside Bone Tomahawk pushes this writer/director up next to Ben Wheatley and The McDonagh Brothers as one of cinemas best original contributors. Apparently he has 26 scripts sold and they are all in development hell so he's an auteur now. Fantastic.

Lego Batman - 7/10 - Will Arnett is always going to carry a movie this silly to an acceptable laugh ratio.

The Duel - 5/ 10 - A solid formulaic Western with the worst ending and worst ending speech of all time.

Valerian - 7.5/10 - This is what you get when the mind that brought you the Fifth Element gets access to a huge budget twenty years later. This could have been near perfect but it bounced around like a pinball with a bizarrely uneven tone. Cara Delevigne is unspeakably beautiful in it.

Kung Pow: Enter The Fist - 7/10 - I really wish I had seen this when it came out. My tastes are less infantile now so I was cringing half the time and laughing the rest. Had I seen it aged 15 I would have loved it forever.

Blood Father - 6/10 - Eh. I love Mel Gibson and the girl was smoking hot.

The Boss - 7/10 - Funny but too much fluff not a high enough laugh count.

Traffic - 6/10 - Supposedly a masterpiece. I prefer Logan Lucky than this preachy crap. Crash is a better movie than this and Crash aged horribly.

The Grey - 8.5/10 - High tension, high adrenaline action with a fucking amazing director at the helm. This is better than The Revenant.

Narc - 8/10 - Joe Carnahan is probably the best and least appreciated director that nobody can name. Imagine pulling together a police procedural film starring Jason Patric and Ray Liotta in their later careers and having it as a point of pride rather than shame fifteen years down the line.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote