View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #240
Requiem

Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Requiem got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Really couldn't tell you what happened in each individual book specifically, as the whole thing has sort of melded together into one giant story, as do most 'series' I read. So it's hard to tell exactly where I've read certain story points. However, I'll give a general statement of each.

A Song of Ice and Fire

A Game of Thrones - 9/10
Really fucking good intro to the series. I'll say that I was somewhat spoiled by seeing the TV show first, but I picked this up after and was surprised how closely the show followed the book. Still, book was even better.

A Clash of Kings - 8/10
Really good build-up, not as good as the first book IMO, but carried the story on great. Still, most of the book seemed like a build-up to book 3. Not enough Daenerys, although there never seems to be enough of her in any of these books really. Jon Snow is a badass.

A Storm of Swords - 10/10
Third book of the series, and easily the best. One of the best fantasy fictions I've ever read. The build-up was never dull, and once the book hit its rhythm, I was on the edge of my seat. Or bed/pillow as it were. Lots of laugh out loud moments, most notably from Tyrion. Incredible book. Tyrion is genius in this book. His character is witty, clever, and is sick of being pushed around. Fantastic. You just can't help but be overjoyed when certain things happen.

A Feast for Crows - 7/10
Weakest book of the series, although it was still good. For those unaware, this book and the following are 'essentially' one book. They were going to be a single book, but the author decided it was too long and decided to split up the timeline a bit and divided characters/regions of the world between the two. This book gave a lot of insight into characters we hadn't really seen much before, and opened up new regions of the world to us. However, they weren't the characters that I'd already come to love, and so it was somewhat of a letdown. Still, lot of good storytelling. I only hesitate to give it a 6 due to the amount of a certain Lannister and how satisfying his portion of the book was. Really loved learning about his character and hearing his perspective. Also, a certain Stark character was great to read about. The part of this book I just didn't care about were the perspectives of the Iron Island characters. I just.. didn't care about them. There was too much of them in it for me to give the book an overall higher rating. We could have learned about them more indirectly and I would have been happier.

A Dance with Dragons - 7/10
Picked back up as it went back to the viewpoints of characters I loved. Still not enough Daenerys. Damn you George R.R. Martin! However, it was great seeing Tyrion again and the story set up the next fairly well and left me wanting more. The drama at the wall left me wondering where the next book is going to take us. There's just so many options that could happen.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote