View Single Post
Old 10-15-2023, 11:16 PM   #6
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockShot View Post
I never understood the "it" factor the Lara Croft character eventually received as time went by.

Hit scene back in '96 on Sega Saturn before making the jump to PlayStation. A bunch of video games since then. A couple movies starring Angelina Jolie. A reboot film with Alicia Vikander. Now she got an animated series coming on Netflix.

I can understand that in terms of bringing a video game character to something like film or TV, she's easy to do. But let's not forget, she's not the First Lady of ass kicking in video gaming. That title belongs to Samus Aran.

We'll see how this show goes, I guess.
Aside from the obvious pandering to the horny teens, her games were actually immersive and fun to play...for the most part, as I know there was that really ugly period in the early 2000s the fans would prefer to forget. The trilogy of Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld was a great combination to get interest going again and then the reboot series followed it up to really knock it out of the park. Lara herself, the original incarnation, isn't necessarily interesting or that deep a persona, rather what she does is interesting.

Her taking over a large chunk of the public eye over someone like Samus can be blamed on the power of marketing. Plus, outside of Super Metroid, what did Nintendo really have her doing during that time?
M-A-G is offline   Reply With Quote