View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
#BROKEN Hasney
BAY BAY

#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#BROKEN Hasney makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Cool What we know about Nintendo's next system(s) - NX

So I'm ripping this off from another forum, but there's a lot of information here. Sounds like there might be a home console then a handheld that streams from the console, but this is what we know:

1. Nintendo merged their handheld and console systems, now known as the "Integrated Research & Development Division" Or IRDD. This is headed by Genyo Tekada, the Senior Managing Director

2. Iwata's first mention of a new project that will feature unified architectures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwata on Jan 31st, 2013

"Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.

Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing."
3. Another mention of the architecture by Iwata, and how he wanted to take advantage of what they've done Wii U's architecture but not actually reuse it. Also expressing dissatisfaction with the effort needed when porting Wii games to 3DS and 3DS games to Wii U as a reason to do this. Also mentions how when this happens. consoles and handhelds will no longer be different, but like brothers in a family of systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwata on Jan 30th, 2014

"For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems."
4. Iwata's comments about the above being compared to Apple and Android.

Quote:
To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.
5. The NX is announced and is the codename of "a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept", with more information to be shared in 2016.

6. Iwata also announced a new "membership service" that they're working with DeNA on that encompasses NX alongside Wii U, 3DS, mobile devices, and PC's and will form one of the "core elements" of the NX.

7. Iwata discussed about Nintendo "internally analyzing what hurdles exist" to the removal of region-locking for the NX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwata on May 8th, 2015

"My understanding is that it is not realistic on the existing video game systems because unlocking them after they are already on the market poses a number of hurdles. On the other hand, regarding NX, we understand that many consumers hold such opinions and such suggestions exist in the market, and although we have nothing concrete at the moment, we are internally analyzing what hurdles exist to lifting region locks. That is the situation right now. We acknowledge your request, and I personally want to give it positive consideration."
8. Games-wise, originally Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI were officially confirmed at the Dragon Quest XI unveiling event by the producer. However, Square-Enix afterward claimed this is only merely a "consideration"

9. Wall Street Journal reported that Nintendo has already shipped NX dev kits to certain 3rd-party developers, and that sources claim the NX will likely feature both a console and a handheld unit that can be used together or on the go for separate use, and use "industry-leading chips" after "criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors"

10. The Nintendo Account system was announced.

11. Topic 6 was addressing the recently announced My Nintendo membership service.

12. Miyamoto ponders making on game that runs on both a console and a handheld.

Quote:
Certainly from a development standpoint there is some challenge to it, because if you have two devices that have different specs and you're being told to design in a way that the game runs on both devices, then that can be challenging for the developer—but if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us."
13. Shinya Takahashi says that Nintendo wants to make the NX exciting by looking at the perspective of the players.

14. Miyamoto has confirmed that he is taking a step back from NX's development after having a large hand in both the Wii and Wii U's development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyamoto on June 23rd, 2015

“I’ve pulled myself back out of some of the hardware section and I’m really focused on some of the software that I’m involved in—for example, the new Starfox game,” he says. “Of course I am observing and looking at the hardware, but I am not actively participating and making decisions.”
There's another bit that says it won't use the Wii name (thank fuck) due to confusing about the Wii U possibly being an add on. Lot of shit there, but it's enough to get me excited thinking that Iwata was and Nintendo is looking at the right things where they need improvement... Well, other than smartphone inspiration.

Long post I know, but this is the shit that happens when I have to take holiday to use up and I'm waiting for XB1 games to install.

#BROKEN Hasney is offline   Reply With Quote