View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BrotherVito DELETED View Post
Umm.....
I think what Liam is saying is that the switch doesn't really make sense if it wasn't to free up Omega for other things. Why wouldn't you just keep it on him to keep the belt visible and build that association with Omega and add to his matches? It would be a North American thing to take the belt off Omega because they feel that he "doesn't need it" or because they felt it would help a struggling White. To be honest, I could see the latter being true in Japan too, especially if they re-upped Jay White for a large amount of money and were scared Switchblade wasn't working.

I'm not really plugged into New Japan booking as much as others, but I called Okada going over, so I'm just going to proclaim to be an expert. Gedo has been booking Okada to his salary. He's on 2.2 million for 5 years. The two options I see are:

1. Naito in a match at the Dome, with Okada having shattered all the records and officially the greatest champion in New Japan's history. Naito has always been a step behind, but this becomes must-win for him. Naito does win, he sells a bunch of shirts, and he eventually drops the belt back to Okada and settles back into that #2 position.

2. New Japan finds a young heel that they think is money. I've seen the President of the company, or someone, talking about how he would love to find a 25-year-old domestic monster. If they find someone that fills that role, then Okada dropping the belt in shocking fashion in order to really boost this new person and give Okada a chase is something I can definitely see.

But I think Destor is on the money, even if he was kinda joking: This reign is supposed to go on forever. This is Bruno Sammartino with the WWWF Title. It obviously won't go on that long, but he's the guy. You're supposed to be able to bet the house on him. If he's Hogan he won't drop it until they find an Andre. They might decide that is Naito or do it just to make sure they keep him and justify paying whatever salary he is on for a brief period. But there's no next "guy" in mind right now.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote