Thread: Fallout 4
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #942
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
You know, I don't mind doing them Preston's quests as a whole.

That said, *my* problem with them seems to stem from:

a) when a settlement is under seige, why do I *have* to be there for it not to fail and kill everyone off? My settlers are fully armed with real guns and armor, and the settlement has like 4x the defense to resourse ratio. If I actually show up in most places, I don't have to lift a finger, and they mop up like nothing. But if don't go, they get slaughtered. But okay, it's a thing to make sure you go...

b) time limit. I don't like timed quests. It's one of the reasons I don't love Dead Rising as much as I feel I should. I don't want to drop everything to sprint to something that really could have waited if the programmers didn't insist on putting you on an arbitrary clock. But alright, there is usually a substantial window of time between request and failure...

c) THE GAME DOESN'T RELIABLY TELL YOU ABOUT A AND B! I bitched about the first two things to get to this, as this seems to tie my issue with Minutemen missions together in one package. Like I said, I don't mind doing this stuff. And as far as the timed missions, I rarely had to drop everything and give my full attention to a settlement quest. However, when I did, it was usually because the game never told me about shit to begin with. I've had defense missions I "failed" without ever being told they were under attack. Sometimes, it was a place I literally just left... as in, I walked down the road after building shit in or buying/selling stuff at the settlement in question, and suddenly the people I just interacted with literally about 30 seconds ago are pissed and their crops are all messed up. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN??? And I don't like to fast travel (passes time faster for enemy respawns, and likes to warp you in the middle of a pack of enemies at that). The worst was when I was trying to get Cait clean, and I had a mission in my inventory to clear a new settlement for someone. I marched all the way down to where we were supposed to go, wrecked that shit, did the mission, and was leaving the area to head to said settlement, and it failed because I somehow ran out of time... on an empty settlement populated by ghouls. I reloaded a save before wandering south with Cait, and lo and behold, I now get a warning that I was running out of time on that settlement mission. Hm, could've used that before.

I *did* get that mission quite awhile ago (game time), and it was more than enough time to complete several missions and hike to that town. I just don't like how unreliable the game's system of telling you what you need to know is. I don't like being unaware and suddenly losing or dying because of something I had no clue was even a problem. Game can tell me I'm overencumbered every ten seconds, but can't say "hey, these people need help soon as you can go" until the moment is gone?

THAT is a thing *I* would like to see modded.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote