View Single Post
Old 05-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #14946
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Miller's Crossing (1990) - 8/10

A hard film to rate. I really really enjoyed this but it does feel like its something *I* would enjoy more than *people* would enjoy. The Coen Brothers always write smart scripts and this one is definitely up there near the top of their pile, but maybe its too smart for its own good

The film spends the first act announcing its characters through well written dialogue but doesnt actually allow us to meet manyof the people until later. Or we meet a character once, memorably in all fairness, and that character returns not in personbut in prose later.

And thats kinda the issue if i dare to call it an issue. The film is demanding that you keep up and its probably a big ask for most viewers.

The scenes themselves are brilliantly performed and the dialogue wont let you down but following who are the players and what the throughline is could be tricky and on some level that has to be a mark against the script.

Now personally i really enjoyed watching all these planets orbit around one another and the climax was very very satisfying.

Another thing i enjoyed that i could easily call a negative is the film exists as a meta comedy against the genre of the ganster films of the 30s and 40s. Its never completely serious. The major beats of the script played straight could absolutely work but they play every scene very subtly as a mockery. And i really loved it. But i wonder if that this film is made for my sensibilities and if i recommended it to someone else howd they think about it.

My enjoyment was at minimum a 9/10. But i really wonder if this film is leaving a lot on the table. That if say Scorsese made this film instead if it would be an all time classic. I dunno. I really liked it though.
Destor is offline   Reply With Quote