View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #3402
Ultra Mantis
Grim Fandango

Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I get that for some players it's just fun to run around the open world fultoning things and clearing outposts, making your own narrative as you go. If this wasn't mainline MGS then maybe I wouldn't view it as harshly or held it to such a high standard. But it is.

The pacing is terrible, the intro starts with such promise and then it falls into the usual open world trap of sacrificing storytelling for meaningless side quests and endless title sequences or end credits. Repetition upon repetition upon repetition.

Snake isn't Snake, He has barely any personality. He's a passive, mostly silent avatar and that makes the info dump you constantly get from Miller and Ocelot even more obtrusive than the codec spam from previous games. Stunt casting Keifer actually harmed the character, not because he's bad at all but because he's a gimmick and he's barely present. They then double down on this by making your only human support character a mute.

Boss battles are forgettable filler, nothing here even comes close to previous entries which were stacked full of creativity.

The Big Boss heel turn is completely handwaved. The pay-off for the main plot points storylines are rushed, flat, or in some cases entirely unresolved (not entirely Kojima's fault tbf). Narratively it is a complete failure and to me that makes a poor Metal Gear experience. The story beats don't even top Ground Zeroes ffs. The drop in quality from the other numbered games is severe and incredibly disappointing.
Ultra Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote