View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #1399
The CyNick
Make the IWC Great Again

The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelly Meatball View Post
Meltzer has said plenty of times in the past his numbers come the actual arenas whenever he'd contact them for a report about an event. Even mentioned the 78k for Mania III is him just rounding up the actual number to make it easier to remember.

Even mentioned several times the breakdown when it comes to attendance numbers and how it takes months for the actual final number to be confirmed. Last year's Mania didn't get confirmed until a few weeks ago and turned out the paid attendance was even lower than previous estimates.

Also has decades of experience fact checking WWE numbers which is how he can safely estimate the amount of padding used. Usually goes between 10k-20k for big events and a few thousands for smaller events and tv shows.
I don't doubt he asks, what I doubt it's the source of the info. Usually his numbers come from spotters who estimate crowd size. Just because someone works for an arena, doesn't mean they have access to the actual paid attendance. That's why all of his numbers for live events are "4000", or "5000". You never seem him publish actual numbers with sourcing from the arena because his sources are BS. If say Camping World Stadium had real numbers, they could just be forthright and say the actual attendance was "X".

He's got this gimmick down to a science where his followers just believe anything he says. You're even doing it in your post. He has decades of fact checking WWE numbers, but who is fact checking him? Bruce Prichard who no longer has anything to do with WWE has gone on record saying Dave is full of crap with his numbers. This is from a guy who would actually have access to real numbers based on his past employment with WWE. Give me other sources other than Dave who can verify that day WM3 had 78k fans instead of 93k? You can't, because it's just the info he collects from these mysterious sources who they themselves lack credibility, and people in the IWC just drink the Kool aid.

A big part of fact checking is actually presenting facts. Dave misses the mark on that one. He's a nice guy, he's just a carny, and his followers don't see that. I still enjoy talking to him when I get the chance though.
The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote