Thread: MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #6877
Damian Rey 2.0

Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Damian Rey 2.0 makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Dale Newstead View Post
I'm fond of the homegrown talent. I like their lineup. But I cannot abide by 217 million dollars for a snake bitten ace, it makes a complete mockery of everything. In my opinion, that signing was a complete fucking joke. I like David Price, but at most that guy is worth a lengthy 150 million dollar contract and even that is all kinds of gaudy and gross.

I will say, even the Yankees when they were buying and selling the league had tremendous scouting and a lot of their best talent was home grown. But there is always that breaking point when it seems all the big money players go there and they are signing these game killing contracts.
The Yankees gave up on homegrown talent after their initial dynasty. Early 2000s is when they literally started buying everyone and became the evil empire. They're finally realizing that's a poor way to do things.

And Price is getting paid what his market value is. He deserves to go to the highest bidder, just like any of is in our own job market. The owners rake in so much money that the discrepancy between what they make, and what the players who generate that income make, is still a large one at the least.

Grienke got an equally lengthy, gaudy deal. Because that's the new market. The Yankees are eating A-Rod's contract like it ain't shit. Because it isn't. Look at what J.A. Happ and Estrada got this year. Guys who've had zero previous extended success. No way they make out on those types of deals even 5 years ago.

Even my sorry ass Padres are eating a large sum of money to jettison players. Revenue streams are greater than they've ever been. $30 mil is the new $20mil now. This has been trending in that direction for a while now.

And to answer your earlier question, yes, Bryce Harper is def worth whatever contract he signs. Just like A-Rod was when the Rangers gave him the then "worst contract ever".