View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #9565
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
My thought on indies is a lot of it is shit. Too concerned with introspection and often doesn't care for the gameplay experience. I always why indies don't try more often to replicate great game design in an environment devoid of suits and aggressive profit margins. Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained, Mighty #9, and to a degree anything from Platinum are games that largely avoid the pitfalls of AAA culture while retaining what got gaming to that status in the first place. A lot of indy misses the point, imo.

It's why you see I don't play many games and ones I do I stay dedicated to for a while. I'm real big on gameplay experience and seeing it maintain the 'fun factor'. Very few indies build with that in mind.

I dunno, I've played a ton of budget games throughout the 360's lifespan that were a blast. Also, I should have worde that better, but I didn't specifically mean "indie" but more the digital releases, where even if it's published by a bigger name they're like "go nuts" cause it's just a budget game. Not talking about like, the xbox indie channel, because those really are 99.9% trash.

Super Meat Boy
Limbo
Brothers
Dust
Bastion
Trials/Trials Fusion
Skull Girls
Shank 1 & 2
Fez
Geometry Wars
Shadow Complex
State of Decay
Child of Light

Those are just off the top of my head, that I've personally played. Not to mention whatever I'm forgetting, and the ones that are upcoming (of which there are MANY on xbox one.)

I am exited for Bloodstained, and Mighty No. 9, and Yooka Laylee too. But if everyone did what they did, we would just get an endless stream of games that give new twists on old formulas. Some of the games I mentioned above go much further to distinguish themselves and present something new, than any spiritual successor ever could.

Obviously there is risk involved with straying from successful archtypes, and yes, there are a lot of digital games out there that are garbage, because different doesn't automatically mean good. But when different is backed up by great design, and actual thought into making it work, there's nothing quite like the experience.

So yeah, if you're talking about xbox's crappy 99 cent indie games I'm with you, but if you're talking about all these digital releases we've gotten over the years? Nah. Have to disagree. Vehemently.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote