View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #406
El Capitano Gatisto
World Class Raconteur

El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I didn't vilify the concept of sexuality in games as juvenile, I said "pretty much all attempts" have been juvenile, which is true. This completely fits in with the need for games designers to keep in mind a wider audience, not a teenage boy, if the medium is to mature.

Entertainment can be both mass-market and frivolous or it can be serious and life-defining. There's no contradiction in that. Anyone who watches films understands there are different types of film that be enjoyed equally as much in different ways. Indeed, the games I have enjoyed most recently have been the Souls games that have thrown all narrative and wider character motivation out the window and went for simple objective-chasing wrapped around a superb combat mechanic and a beautifully realised world, whereas I've found attempts like GTA V and Skyrim to be more encompassing to be off-putting and got bored of Bioshock Infinite before finishing it.

But this is speaking at cross-purposes. People can make games for whatever reason they want and their target audience can enjoy them for whatever reason they want. This does not preclude the legitimate critique of what a critic may consider problematic imagery or themes in games. This drives development and innovation.

And you're also wrong, because I do want to hear about these things. I want to hear about the gameplay, the game mechanics, the sound, the graphics, the level design etc. and I want to hear if there's off-putting themes in the game. I basically lost interest in single player GTA V after the torture scene, after tolerating the appalling yoga and strip-club scenes, because it was so crass and dull-witted. A horrific misstep from a game that has traditionally been very strong on satire.

Last edited by El Capitano Gatisto; 11-05-2014 at 09:34 PM.
El Capitano Gatisto is offline   Reply With Quote