TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cornette vs Russo: The Definitive Thread The most entertaining angle in wrestling right now! (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=133491)

The MAC 06-09-2017 02:57 PM

Cornette vs Russo: The Definitive Thread The most entertaining angle in wrestling right now!

CORNETTE RANTS THEN LAY OUT A CHALLENGES

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HErBP9e6H9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VINCE RUSSO "APOLOGISES"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JDsq3wn9_X0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know you love it!

RP 06-09-2017 04:07 PM

I like Vince Russo a lot. I really do think WWE should bring him in, because this shit they write lacks balls.

After hearing all the point of views of Bash at the Beach 2000, I think Russo was pretty brilliant in that situation. I feel like Hogan was the asshole hurdle he had to get over.

Mr. Nerfect 06-09-2017 05:06 PM

Love Cornette. Fuck Russo.

Mr. Nerfect 06-09-2017 05:09 PM

Corny can still fucking promo. God, I wish the WWE would let him the mouthpiece for The Revival.

Mr. Nerfect 06-09-2017 05:10 PM

My dream feud is Jim Cornette vs. #1-wwf-fan. I don't know who I would mark out for more.

Mr. Nerfect 06-09-2017 05:24 PM

Russo's sucks. I can't get more than a few seconds in before the bullshit meter starts going off, and then it gets very boring, very fast. Also, the mock being scared by someone as you put them down is weak as fuck. Plus he keeps going back to bullshit Corny has called him on -- the charity stuff. If you've got the money, bro, why don't you donate it to the legends that apparently can't work Skype (even though legends appear on Cornette's show all the time) right now?

Russo is a bottomless pit of logical fallacies and a talentless hack of a writer. He failed everywhere but the WWF. The things he is lauded for -- "writing something for everyone" -- is not the reason the Attitude era succeeded and was actually a detriment to the wrestling business. Angles only matter if there isn't one every five minutes. Russo didn't need a filter, like the myth suggests -- he needed a block. When he was allowed to touch main event talent, like he was in WCW, you can see the effect he had. TNA lost Spike TV because of Russo and the best chance at competition returning went down the drain because Russo took Kurt Angle and made his effect on the business negligible.

Fuck Russo.

Ultra Mantis 06-09-2017 05:44 PM

Cornette is an elderly man-child who is perpetually pissed off that nobody continues to believe in Santa Claus after they already found out he wasn't real 30 years ago.

Mr. Nerfect 06-09-2017 08:19 PM

He's right though. Look at the money boxing and MMA make on PPV when they have an honest-to-god heel who riles people up. People fall for the personalities in those two sports all the time, because they think they are real.

Mr. Nerfect 06-09-2017 08:23 PM

Wrestling is, ironically, an industry that doesn't benefit from wrestling tricks. Boxing, MMA -- fuck, Donald Trump's politics. It's classic wrestling stuff.

#1-norm-fan 06-09-2017 10:44 PM

Cornette vs Russo: The Definitive Thread

Shit's heating up again. Cornette has laid down the classic "I'll pay you $5,000 to come fight me" challenge. Russo responded by going old school heel with a "You're a fat fuck and I'd crush you in a second but I'm rich and $5,000 isn't even worth the trouble, bro" response. HOT SHIT.

PICK YOUR SIDE!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HErBP9e6H9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JDsq3wn9_X0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1-norm-fan 06-09-2017 10:52 PM

Promo-wise, Cornette brought the intensity. Russo brought the subtlety. Russo did have to script his promo, though. VERY NEW SCHOOL.

BigCrippyZ 06-09-2017 10:52 PM

I'm going with fan on this one.

Mr. Nerfect 06-09-2017 10:55 PM

Russo's promo was boring.

#1-norm-fan 06-09-2017 11:05 PM

Good SWERVE though. When I saw the title of the video I thought he was going all out with the born again Christian gimmick and genuinely asking for forgiveness.

Destor 06-09-2017 11:15 PM

Team Cornette but Russo would win

#1-norm-fan 06-09-2017 11:18 PM

I don't know. Logic says Russo would win a fight based on age and physical condition... but Cornette's intensity, fearlessness and the fact that he seems like he might be a little crazy makes me wonder.

SlickyTrickyDamon 06-09-2017 11:23 PM

Damnit a Russo swerve I didn't see coming. Well done on his part. I'd still go with Jimmy.

Maluco 06-10-2017 12:06 AM

Two side of the same coin. Both absolutely convinced that they are misunderstood geniuses, when the reality is that they don't really understand what fans want to see.

The hatred comes from the fact they are so similar, even though they have polar ideas. Same attitude, same approach and same documented failures. The fact that neither is a prominent figure in the business, or have been for many years, is all the evidence that's needed tbh.

Both are so creative, but also too arrogant to learn and adapt and listen to others. Two sides of the same coin.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 12:23 AM

This poll is restoring my faith in TPWW. :heart:

Bad News Gertner 06-10-2017 12:24 AM

Lol Russo is not rich. Having a podcast even on podcast one doesn't exactly bring a windfall of cash

Emperor Smeat 06-10-2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 4977135)
TNA lost Spike TV because of Russo and the best chance at competition returning went down the drain because Russo took Kurt Angle and made his effect on the business negligible.

Fuck Russo.

Russo is pretty terrible without some sort of filter or leash for his ideas but I'd blame Dixie way more for TNA's demise on Spike TV.

Legit got told not to hire Russo again because the network despised him. The smart move would have been to just listen and go in a new direction. Instead she had Russo hired again in secret and Spike only finding out months later because of the sheets and emails revealed.

Then again Dixie also played a big role in TNA's demise from Destination America as well.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maluco (Post 4977242)
Two side of the same coin. Both absolutely convinced that they are misunderstood geniuses, when the reality is that they don't really understand what fans want to see.

The hatred comes from the fact they are so similar, even though they have polar ideas. Same attitude, same approach and same documented failures. The fact that neither is a prominent figure in the business, or have been for many years, is all the evidence that's needed tbh.

Both are so creative, but also too arrogant to learn and adapt and listen to others. Two sides of the same coin.

I disagree. I think Heyman and Cornette are the opposite of the same coin. Lance Storm recently described them as such too. Russo doesn't really have anyone that he is compared to. I'd maybe suggest Bischoff, in the sense that they both had a "go, go, go" and television-based approach.

But yeah, I don't really see how they are similar, even from the outside, haha. Russo hates women and wrestling fans, whereas Cornette hates conservatives and people who book badly. I don't really know how you compare their failures either. Maybe Cornette with ROH is similar to Russo in TNA, but he didn't exactly cost them a deal with Spike TV -- his television just wasn't well-received by fans. He actually helped negotiate the Sinclair purchase, which was either the worst thing to happen to ROH or the only reason it is still around.

I'd compare SMW with ECW in terms of their time period, scope, and being a notable territory in the 90's that introduced a lot of new talent to the world. Cornette and Heyman both also had pretty good runs in OVW. Russo tanked everywhere else he went.

Cornette and Heyman are both also great managers and mouthpieces, and instrumental orators in wrestling. Russo made himself the World Champion.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner (Post 4977245)
Lol Russo is not rich.

Lol, if he's so concerned with giving money to charity, why doesn't he just do it?

#1-norm-fan 06-10-2017 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner (Post 4977245)
Lol Russo is not rich. Having a podcast even on podcast one doesn't exactly bring a windfall of cash

... Before he filmed that promo he was mowing the lawn around his cabin... on HIS lake. Were you even listening, bro?

Bad News Gertner 06-10-2017 12:39 AM

It's just so ridiculous. Cornette is not exactly unfoulable either. I've been saying for years as much as I love Corny, his career is littered with failures. They are both ridiculous, but at least Cornette is well spoken.

#1-norm-fan 06-10-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maluco (Post 4977242)

To be fair, the direction WWE's ratings and live attendance have been going since these guys left suggest that the people who ARE prominent figures in the business don't exactly have much more of a grasp on what fans want to see.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 12:46 AM

Oh god, Russo's promo is fucking terrible:

* You don't apologize for shit you're not responsible for. That's weak. Russo even writes his own promos to be illogical.

* Hey Russo, how's Rocky Mountain Wrestling doing?

* Lol, Russo didn't raise ratings in WCW. Got into a discussion with someone about this recently -- the big dip obviously came at the beginning of 1999, but when Russo took over there were 11 weeks left of television for WCW in 1999; his 11 weeks performed under not only the average for the year, but the average leading up to it.

* WCW PPV also went down under Russo. 0.52 for Halloween Havoc (which was a well performing PPV for them); 0.45 for Mayhem; 0.32 for Starrcade. PPV would continue to trend downwards for WCW when Sullivan returned, but drawing a 0.32 for Starrcade. For comparison's sake, Starrcade the year before drew a 1.15.

* Lol, isn't Russo the reason TNA got thrown off Spike TV? I wouldn't be reminding people you worked for them or including Dixie Carter as a reference on your wrestling resume.

* Lol, Russo didn't dress like the village idiot? He just made himself the WCW World Champion. Idiot.

Fuck I hate this guy.

#1-norm-fan 06-10-2017 12:47 AM

Oh. There's a thread on this already. Well, mine has a poll.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner (Post 4977250)
It's just so ridiculous. Cornette is not exactly unfoulable either. I've been saying for years as much as I love Corny, his career is littered with failures. They are both ridiculous, but at least Cornette is well spoken.

Cornette's is at least a promo and not a poorly written high school oral presentation.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smelly Meatball (Post 4977246)
Russo is pretty terrible without some sort of filter or leash for his ideas but I'd blame Dixie way more for TNA's demise on Spike TV.

Legit got told not to hire Russo again because the network despised him. The smart move would have been to just listen and go in a new direction. Instead she had Russo hired again in secret and Spike only finding out months later because of the sheets and emails revealed.

Then again Dixie also played a big role in TNA's demise from Destination America as well.

That's true, and I don't hold Dixie Carter blameless, but Vince Russo actually is the Vince Russo that Spike TV never wanted back. He can't be separated from himself.

I don't really buy the filter point for whatever reason either. It's just always seemed way too generous to a do who has had no success anywhere but the WWF.

#1-norm-fan 06-10-2017 12:59 AM

I get the gist of Russo's reasoning for the "go, go, go" approach. He was writing a TV show. He's just too dumb to realize that you can't write wrestling as a typical TV show. Putting the title on David Arquette was a fine idea to get attention. Great. But when you've got this 3 hour show and you're trying to build PPVs that you want people to pay for, if you're not the greatest writer who ever lived and can keep coming up with new innovative ideas on a weekly basis, you're eventually gonna need this prestigious prop that's been protected for decades to convince people to give you money. And if the prop means shit, you're fucked.

I will say this for Russo, though. He spends a lot of time knocking the guys WWE tries to build up as stars nowadays and their tendency to book for the typical smark crowd. I think he at least understands the fault in that.

Bad News Gertner 06-10-2017 01:14 AM

I at least enjoy Corny doing the Timeline and Back to the Territory DVD'S. Everything Russo does is unlistenable

Simple Fan 06-10-2017 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner (Post 4977250)
at least Cornette is well spoken.

Amazing that this can be said and be true in this situation.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 4977260)
I get the gist of Russo's reasoning for the "go, go, go" approach. He was writing a TV show. He's just too dumb to realize that you can't write wrestling as a typical TV show. Putting the title on David Arquette was a fine idea to get attention. Great. But when you've got this 3 hour show and you're trying to build PPVs that you want people to pay for, if you're not the greatest writer who ever lived and can keep coming up with new innovative ideas on a weekly basis, you're eventually gonna need this prestigious prop that's been protected for decades to convince people to give you money. And if the prop means shit, you're fucked.

I will say this for Russo, though. He spends a lot of time knocking the guys WWE tries to build up as stars nowadays and their tendency to book for the typical smark crowd. I think he at least understands the fault in that.

I don't think he really understands drama or the conventions of even a normal television show. He certainly doesn't get wrestling, which is evident in how he's bombed pretty much everywhere else, but I think even his view of television is really warped. Like, there's no continuity or consistency to what he does. So much in the Attitude era that gets lauded actually doesn't make sense. Like -- it's bad TV. The WWE currently do bad TV, with so much stuff being redundant. There was less redundancy in the Attitude era, but the stories often made no fucking sense. Vince McMahon as the Higher Power anyone?

I think Russo is right about them catering to smarks, but I think he is right about it in the wrong way. He is pro-Jinder Mahal WWE Champion. And I think his views shift to be contrarian. He'd be pro-Owens if he were booking, but because he's not, he's anti-Owens. For example.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner (Post 4977268)
I at least enjoy Corny doing the Timeline and Back to the Territory DVD'S. Everything Russo does is unlistenable

Russo is so bad. I am looking forward to Corny's reply though, because he's underrated for his eloquence and intelligence. Like, people know he can talk, but I don't think people realize how smart he is and how he can dissect with logic. There's a lot of misconceptions about him. Like, I think Joey Ryan called him homophobic or something? Pretty sure Corny's fairly liberal lol. But it fits this "old time wrestling hick" narrative. Now that Corny has gotten the yelling off his chest, I can see him going through and absolutely ripping Russo apart, since Russo is so full of self-cannibalizing arguments and such.

And that's mainly why I can't listen to Russo. He's just so full of shit, haha. Corny, while he sometimes puts his foot in his mouth or takes things too far, at least believes what he says and makes a coherent argument for himself. Russo is just like "Bro, Vince McMahon would be broke without me. He had no clue what to do with Steve Austin, bro."

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 01:56 AM

I'm a bit of a Cornette mark, but the quickest way to hating Vince Russo is to actually listen to Vince Russo.

BigCrippyZ 06-10-2017 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 4977274)
I don't think he really understands drama or the conventions of even a normal television show. He certainly doesn't get wrestling, which is evident in how he's bombed pretty much everywhere else, but I think even his view of television is really warped. Like, there's no continuity or consistency to what he does. So much in the Attitude era that gets lauded actually doesn't make sense. Like -- it's bad TV. The WWE currently do bad TV, with so much stuff being redundant. There was less redundancy in the Attitude era, but the stories often made no fucking sense. Vince McMahon as the Higher Power anyone?

I think even though it didn't always make sense, even when it didn't make perfect sense, for many reasons (the swerves, TV14, the announcing, variety of different styles of matches & wrestlers, characters, etc.) it was still damn good entertainment with way more hits than misses. You knew if one segment dragged, the next was way more likely to more than make up for it.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 02:00 AM

It had an energy at the time and the stars carried it. Wrestling was cool and you'd forgive the shit that didn't work. Can you imagine watching RAW without Austin and Rock though? *shudders*

BigCrippyZ 06-10-2017 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 4977280)
It had an energy at the time and the stars carried it. Wrestling was cool and you'd forgive the shit that didn't work. Can you imagine watching RAW without Austin and Rock though? *shudders*

It would never have been what it was without those two. There's no doubt about that. I also think Chris Kreski should get a ton more credit than he does.

Mr. Nerfect 06-10-2017 02:07 AM

It would have been great to know his mind a bit more before he passed. When Stephanie McMahon took over creative is when things really started to fall. That being said, I'm not entirely sure the Attitude era was sustainable anyway. It'd be interesting to know where Kreski planned to take things.