TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   **Vinyl Records - Collectors Post Your Collection** (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=129078)

Schlomey 03-31-2015 11:41 AM

**Vinyl Records - Collectors Post Your Collection**

So my record collectors group failed as many groups do so I decided to start a new thread for folks that collect vinyl to post their collection, want lists items, bitches/gripes & what they are spinning on a daily basis.

Today in the mail I received my copy of the new Death Cab For Cutie album & the new Ryan Adams 7" called Blue Lights.

Schlomey 03-31-2015 11:42 AM

I'll try and post pictures of my set up & some of my collection as soon as I can get a break from work stuff.

ron the dial 03-31-2015 01:33 PM

i like this idea. i'll share my set up when i get home later.

Schlomey 03-31-2015 03:07 PM

Quick question....It's been a long time since I have posted here. How do I post pictures that aren't online links?

Schlomey 03-31-2015 03:33 PM

While I have a few minutes and while I'm waiting to figure out the picture situation, I thought I would share a little bit about how I got started in vinyl collecting and just some random stuff, I guess.

I started listening and collecting vinyl back in high school. I remember the very first record I ever purchased was from a flea market and it was Lynyard Skynard Gold & Platinum Double Greatest Hits LP. I wasn't a big Southern Rock fan (still not) but you gotta start somewhere I guess. Vinyl is how I discovered a lot of my likes and dislikes. I played my records on a shit table and through charity shop speakers. Nothing fancy because, well, at the time I was more into collecting than the quality of my equipment. Over the next several years I would fall in and out of love with buying and listening to vinyl. Fast forward to 2 years ago. For my birthday I received a replacement stylus for my old turntable & even a new record from my wife's sister & mother. Well, I dusted off the ol' turntable and resumed listening to vinyl. In the past 2 years, I have grown my collection to around 700 quality albums and all in pristine condition. I have "purged" many times and proud to say that everything that I own is "ALL KILLER NO FILLER". I currently play spin on a entry level audiophile table made by Micro Seiki (with an upgraded Grado Green Cartridge) and my speakers are currently Polk Audio with a Klipsch sub-woofer. Pretty great quality for now. I slowly upgrade my equpment and sell off the previous incarnation as money becomes available to do so. I'm hooked on vinyl and the entire audiophile experience. To clean my records I have a Spin Clean Machine (and have access to a high tech VPI cleaner if needed) and also use the wood glue method to clean certain albums that may need a more extreme level of clean. Secretly, I plan on opening my own record store within the next 2 years. I am currently talking to a business partner and an accountant and forming my model. Well..Thats it for now...I hope to post pictures later and I hope you all do the same! Happy spinning!

ron the dial 03-31-2015 09:44 PM

ok so here's my set up and some of my favorites in my collection.

pro-ject debut carbon turntable. came with an ortofon 2m red cartridge which i considered replacing, but it's done a really good job so i'm just leaving it for now. upgrades are too damn expensive.

marantz pm6004 integrated amp. right now the turntable is the only component permanently hooked up to it (discounting the aux cable for my ipod), but i'm looking for a nice vintage cassette deck to setup next.

my speakers are some klipsch synergy b2 bookshelf speakers that i bought off my parents for cheap. they are actually really nice.

the record collection. i haven't taken inventory in quite a while, but i probably have between 100-125. the majority of it falls into metal/punk/indie with some classic rock and hip hop thrown in. so pretty much just like my itunes library.

some of my favorites from my collection:
SPOILER: show

http://i.imgur.com/9oaBA7q.jpg

the bottom left is a test press of an odz manouk/tukaaria split. the only test press i have.

http://i.imgur.com/5Tq2aDe.jpg

top left is the final press of the appleseed cast - low level owl. i have another pressing of this as well. since this is pretty much my favorite album of all time, i'm trying to get all of them. i only have the 3 oldest and hardest left to track down/pay too much for.

http://i.imgur.com/nreGyA6.jpg

i've tried to find magnetic fields - 69 love songs, but it was a very limited run and goes for outrageous prices. i'm hoping they repress it soon, but i'm not holding my breath.

i have about 20 cassettes, too, but i won't bother with those. mostly obscure metal bands.

Schlomey 03-31-2015 09:53 PM

Super impressive set up. I read great things about the Pro-Ject Carbon tables. The red Ortofon cart is hit or miss with my friends. Some love theirs. Some not. I loved your vinyl pix as well. We have a lot of music in common.

Once I figure out how to post pics that aren't a URL I'll post some stuff.

ron the dial 03-31-2015 09:56 PM

the cartridge really depends on the music. if i'm listening to something that has a lower production value (a lot of black metal), it really brings out a lot of the little things that i might otherwise miss. but if it's something with a really rich production value (most of the hip hop i have, for example), it tends to get a little muddy. for now, i have more of the former than the latter so it works out ok.

ron the dial 03-31-2015 09:57 PM

then again, that could have a lot to do with the speakers. i'm not really an "audiophile."

ron the dial 03-31-2015 09:59 PM

i didn't grow up with any records in the house. my parents were never big into music, and their entire collection was on cd. i just started a few years ago because my ex bought me a portable crosley, and it hooked me in. got rid of that pretty quickly, though. after researching for about 1 minute, i read about how bad they are for the records.

Schlomey 03-31-2015 10:03 PM

Yeah Crosley is French for shitty quality and groove damage. Cheap plastic stylus is the reason.

ron the dial 03-31-2015 10:43 PM

i just reread your earlier post, and saw the part about the record cleaning. right now i just use mofi super record wash that i put on with a cleaning brush and then soak some of it up with a microfiber cloth before letting it dry. i'm thinking about picking up a kab ev-1 record cleaner. i'm really the only person among my friends that collects records, so i don't have access to a nice cleaner.<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

GD 04-01-2015 05:50 AM

A lo-fi 3-photo collection of what I had. Don't judge me for the horrendous record player.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/BRye7/embed"></iframe>

Schlomey 04-01-2015 07:08 AM

Nice. Jack White / Stripes / Third Man Records are awesome.

Schlomey 04-01-2015 09:49 AM

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/n9aa5/embed"></iframe>

ron the dial 04-01-2015 10:18 AM

are those expedits? i want to build something similar, but i don't have the space right now. very good looking set up, my man.

Schlomey 04-01-2015 10:21 AM

No they are not. Ikea quit selling them. These are currently $40 each knockoffs from Wal Mart. I am actually selling these shelves to a friend and using that money to build my own 800 LP flip bin here in the middle of April. My friend is a wood worker and has built several of them for himself and he said he would help me build a super good quality bin. Pretty stoked to be able to flip my shit instead of just staring at spines all day.

And thanks for the compliment...It's a labor of love for sure :)

I HOPE MORE PEOPLE SHOW UP AND POST HERE...I KNOW WE COULDN'T BE THE ONLY ONES!

Schlomey 04-01-2015 10:24 AM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Cube-Org...resso/29741113

Link to the shelf I currently have from Wally World. I will say they work great BUT they scuff very easily and half of mine came already with chips in them.

ron the dial 04-01-2015 12:19 PM

what turntable were you rocking there, guru dave? and did you sell your stuff or something?

GD 04-01-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron the dial (Post 4609570)
what turntable were you rocking there, guru dave? and did you sell your stuff or something?

I sold everything on Amazon. I wanted to get an Audio Technica LP60 :shifty: but ended up getting an "all in one" kinda deal with a brand name that nobody likes to associate with.

OssMan 04-02-2015 07:42 AM

Thought this was a Brad thread

Schlomey 04-02-2015 08:17 AM

Audio technica LP-120 is a step up from the 60 and has been voted the best bang for your buck turntable out there. I have a few friends who have one and they agree. The USB feature is inconsequential but it's a beast. The 60 is a great starter table.

Schlomey 04-02-2015 10:51 AM

Currently Spinning:

First up on the platter this morning is my copy of the new Death Cab For Cutie record. I'm in love with it. I'm trying to tear it down piece by piece to figure out the songs and which moments are about his now-ex wife (and my love) Zooey Daschanel. Sad stuff. Great record. Gold & white vinyl for the first 5,000 pressed.

http://i.imgur.com/iNtXrJY.jpg

ron the dial 04-02-2015 03:12 PM

i didn't even know they had a new one out. gonna have to give it a listen.

DaveWadding 04-02-2015 08:58 PM

I have an $80 Crosley all in one from Target that qualifies as a major upgrade over my grandmother's giant 1978 console (with 8 track!)

It does it's job fine. Of course, I'm a crate digger who buys 50 cent LPs from Goodwill and only owns one album pressed recently.

Schlomey 04-02-2015 10:32 PM

Welcome to the group. What genres or artists do you tend to dig for or find in your area?

GD 04-03-2015 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlomey (Post 4610031)
Audio technica LP-120 is a step up from the 60 and has been voted the best bang for your buck turntable out there. I have a few friends who have one and they agree. The USB feature is inconsequential but it's a beast. The 60 is a great starter table.

I will need a lot of advice on the subject once I am done with school.

GD 04-03-2015 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveWadding (Post 4610629)
I have an $80 Crosley all in one from Target that qualifies as a major upgrade over my grandmother's giant 1978 console (with 8 track!)

It does it's job fine. Of course, I'm a crate digger who buys 50 cent LPs from Goodwill and only owns one album pressed recently.

Wonder how that comment would fly on Reddit.

GD 04-03-2015 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlomey (Post 4610681)
Welcome to the group. What genres or artists do you tend to dig for or find in your area?

We need to have a Spotify thing going on here. FakeRazor shared a dope playlist with me...once. I bought a few LPs based on the songs I liked.

Schlomey 04-03-2015 08:58 AM

Guru Dave that is a killer idea. I use Spotify constantly. I will try and figure out how to share playlists.

Schlomey 04-03-2015 09:05 AM

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:user:schlomey:playlist:6L4neyydoeCgbLKw9ZEz5c" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Schlomey 04-03-2015 09:13 AM

Well I have tried everything I could ...I found tutorials but they say just copy and paste the embed code ..which as you can see above I have done and it says "oops we didn't find any music here" ...I'm stumped. Help would be appreciated.

Blue Demon 04-03-2015 12:18 PM

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...4a&oe=559D6317

Not much but it's a start.

Schlomey 04-03-2015 01:30 PM

2112 is one of my favorite albums of all time. Good start indeed.

GD 04-03-2015 03:36 PM

Here is FakeRazor's playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/125071...tj15N79WgKIWP1

ron the dial 04-03-2015 06:57 PM

i think i'm going to go back and edit my post with all of the pictures later. takes too damn long to load this thread on my phone. might post a few pics of my favorite variants later. have some very "pretty" colors if that's your thing.

ron the dial 04-04-2015 11:22 AM

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/ChpdP/embed"></iframe>

ron the dial 04-04-2015 11:25 AM

super jealous of that mellon collie you have, schlomey.

Schlomey 04-04-2015 01:20 PM

Ron you have some killer stuff that I am jealous over as well. Love me some color variants. Any of those Newbury Exclusives? I've had hit or miss luck with them.

ron the dial 04-04-2015 01:24 PM

i've never bought anything from newbury. most of that stuff is direct from the label (deathwish, asian man, pesanta urfolk, etc.) or some other distro (gilead media, interpunk, nuclear war now!) or i bought them at a record shop. there a quite a few good ones here in chicago. i've bought a few records off of ebay and private sellers on forums, but i don't do that very often.

Schlomey 04-04-2015 01:29 PM

I buy and sell on Ebay & FB. I have to travel 2-4 hours in any direction to get to a good record shop so I only get out about once a month to real stores.

I am in the process of selling a house and all of the money I make is going into my business account so when the time comes I am planning on a week long road trip all over the east and mid west hitting shops....To stock the shelves for the store I plan to open with the left over money ;)

GD 04-05-2015 02:30 AM

Since we are talking about records and how people associate them with sound quality, I was wondering if you guys indulge in higher resolution audio files...I'm not talking about ripping your CDs to FLAC or ALAC, I am talking about 24-bit remasters. I am aware that files at higher sampling rates is an overkill but whatever...I am drunk. Indulge me.

DaveWadding 04-05-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Dave (Post 4610793)
Wonder how that comment would fly on Reddit.

How dare I not love limited edition 240 gram colored vinyl picture discs on my $1000 audio set up.

Schlomey 04-05-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Dave (Post 4611634)
Since we are talking about records and how people associate them with sound quality, I was wondering if you guys indulge in higher resolution audio files...I'm not talking about ripping your CDs to FLAC or ALAC, I am talking about 24-bit remasters. I am aware that files at higher sampling rates is an overkill but whatever...I am drunk. Indulge me.

I prefer losless FLAC because it's what I have done for years with tape trading / live show conversions anyway...So it's easy, familiar and seamless play-ability. That's not to say that I don't listen to Spotify with the same zeal ...Just because I fancy myself an audiophile type doesn't mean that I can't enjoy all formats.

Schlomey 04-05-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveWadding (Post 4611732)
How dare I not love limited edition 240 gram colored vinyl picture discs on my $1000 audio set up.

Picture disks sound like asshole.

ron the dial 04-05-2015 06:35 PM

yeah i've only got those albums i posted as far as picture discs, and i never listen to them. they sound horrible. they just look too fucking cool.

Schlomey 04-05-2015 06:40 PM

The only one that I have that I actually listen to and enjoy the 2014 Record Store Day Devo live album called "Butch Devo & The Sundance Gig" ....sounds good and it's pretty :)

ron the dial 04-06-2015 12:03 AM

as far as the quality of my audio files, i guess i don't really care. as long as it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a cave (unless that was the intent), i can fuck with it.

Wehttam 04-06-2015 12:33 AM

you guys gettin anything on record store day?

GD 04-06-2015 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlomey (Post 4611781)
I prefer losless FLAC because it's what I have done for years with tape trading / live show conversions anyway...So it's easy, familiar and seamless play-ability. That's not to say that I don't listen to Spotify with the same zeal ...Just because I fancy myself an audiophile type doesn't mean that I can't enjoy all formats.

Cool. I convert mine to ALAC as I live in the Apple ecosystem. I have acquired a variety of high resolution albums via various sources (HDTracks, The Beatles USB set etc.).

As of typing this, I am streaming Interstellar's soundtrack on Tidal since they have a one-month free trial. Not sure if CD quality streaming is for me.

ron the dial 04-06-2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wehttam (Post 4611958)

I dealt with that bullshit last year. not doing it again. can't stand the crowds.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

The only thing catching my eye is the Decemberists - picturesque on red vinyl. May or may not end up at a shop but I don't want to pay eBay prices for RSD titles.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 08:32 AM

I scored some killer titles over the weekend. Pictures to come later on.

ron the dial 04-06-2015 09:59 AM

i was up by my parent's all weekend, but i should have a few things waiting for me at home later. love that feeling.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 10:12 AM

I have 2 original pressing Tom Waits albums coming to me this morning in the mail.

ron the dial 04-06-2015 10:14 AM

you bastard. love tom waits. the song "johnsburg, illinois" is about the hometown of his wife, which just happens to be my hometown.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 10:22 AM

I've been obsessed with Tom a while now. I just bought a Near Mint 1st Japanese pressing of Rain Dogs yesterday....Cost as much to ship as the album did haha. I'll post my Tom collection (sans Rain Dogs of course) as soon as the mail man gets here!

ron the dial 04-06-2015 10:23 AM

i hate international shipping. pretty much at least doubles what you pay for the album. sometimes it's just an unavoidable evil....

Schlomey 04-06-2015 10:24 AM

I sold a few things over the weekend so it didn't cost anything out of pocket ...But yeah..It's like intentional rape. You know you are gonna get it if you go in there....

Wehttam 04-06-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron the dial (Post 4612025)
I dealt with that bullshit last year. not doing it again. can't stand the crowds.

sucks for you bro. i would hate that too. the 'bigger' record shop has yellowcard playing and shit. they will probably get tons of stuff too, but not hitting it up due to those crowds.

found a really small place that is participating. i don't mind hanging out for 45 minute before. there are a few things i'd like to pick up (deja entendu, get behind me satan, run the jewels), so i have to go.

Wehttam 04-06-2015 10:50 AM

schlomey i will look for that for you.

ron the dial 04-06-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wehttam (Post 4612097)
sucks for you bro. i would hate that too. the 'bigger' record shop has yellowcard playing and shit. they will probably get tons of stuff too, but not hitting it up due to those crowds.

found a really small place that is participating. i don't mind hanging out for 45 minute before. there are a few things i'd like to pick up (deja entendu, get behind me satan, run the jewels), so i have to go.

the shitty thing for me was that i was at the smallest shop in my area up north last year. got there about 4 hours before it opened and was second in line. about 30 minutes later the line was all they way down the block. it's really the only record store around, so it was mobbed. i can only imagine what the places in chicago are like, and i'm not waiting in line overnight for a fucking record. just not happening. kinda sucks cause i'm pretty sure brand new - deja entendu is going to be available. hope some copies hit the internet at retail prices. no way i'm paying e-bay prices for that.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wehttam (Post 4612097)

I miss being up in New England and just walking into BullMoose or some of the shops in Burlington, VT and pulling what I wanted and leaving....craziness has surely taken over. And sadly it's mostly flippers who line their pockets and take as much as they can grab. Makes me kind of ill.

Wehttam 04-06-2015 02:57 PM

yea, there are tons of things i would like to grab, even just for fun, but i am going in with main things i am looking for

buffalo has like 5 shops involved. 2 are Record Theatre's which are the biggest things around, they have big events. Then two smaller 'punk/metal' shops will have pretty large turnouts too.

the 5th place is this really small joint that just opened a few months ago. i am hoping for a decent selection, if not, oh well.

like you, i'm hoping for retail prices if i cannot find anything. i am sure third man will put out the stripes album shortly after, so i am not that worried about that. brand new will probably go quick, so that is what i will probably go after first.

also kind of want the 'mystery release'. i love mysteries.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 03:09 PM

My Tom Waits Vinyl Collection (so far....)

My Waits collection sans my Japanese copy of Rain Dogs which will be here in about 2 weeks I would assume. All of these are near mint and first US pressings.

http://i.imgur.com/f4uDSiX.jpg

Wehttam 04-06-2015 04:02 PM

just never got into him

what would you suggest for a newb?

GD 04-06-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

I've always wanted to go. Wanted to get the Jack White's "Sixteen Saltines" liquid filled vinyl.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wehttam (Post 4612187)
just never got into him

what would you suggest for a newb?

I started with Mule Variations. I think it's his most "accessible" album being that it has a little bit of everything...Including his hit "Hold On" that was featured in the Walking Dead.

If you like Jazz/ Beat Poetry I would start from the very beginning with Closing Time and Saturday Nights. Small Change is my favorite "70's Tom" type album.

Hope that helps :)

Schlomey 04-06-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Dave (Post 4612191)
I've always wanted to go. Wanted to get the Jack White's "Sixteen Saltines" liquid filled vinyl.

The price of that one escalated quickly. Jesus it's insane.

Wehttam 04-06-2015 04:34 PM

third man records is awesome, by the way. it is very small inside, though.

it's hard to plan a trip for a concert happening there, because they always announce them 5 days in advance.

but still, it is awesome. i recorded myself in the booth and everything.

Schlomey 04-06-2015 04:44 PM

that is badass. I plan on hitting it when I make my way to the mid-west in a few months.

Schlomey 04-07-2015 09:48 AM

Anyone else go the extra mile and wood glue their records? I have only recently taken up this method as a "last ditch effort" to eliminate surface noise on records that look like they should sound better than they do. So far it works really well but it takes a steady hand and plenty of patience (about 8-10 hours drying time depending on heat and humidity).

http://i.imgur.com/hcM3V4j.jpg

ron the dial 04-07-2015 10:01 AM

i've never done that before. never had a record that i thought needed it, and beyond that, i'd be too afraid i would damage it. i'm sure the day will come when it's the only option left and i'll give it a go.

Schlomey 04-07-2015 10:22 AM

I am currently cleaning my copy of Waits Swordfishtrombone. It LOOKS Near Mint but plays with a lot of "crackle"...Side 1 is complete and the glue has been pealed. It now plays as it should with only some minimal crackling. Now on to side 2 later today.

ron the dial 04-09-2015 04:41 PM

got those cassettes the other day. waiting for a few more shipments to come in and i'll post my haul, if only because i like showing off.

Schlomey 04-09-2015 05:02 PM

Dude I love tapes. It is a CHEAP way and sometimes the ONLY way to get the good 90s shit in analog. Long live cassettes as much as vinyl bro. Yeah I'm typing lke a drunk frat boy..and its 5pm...yep.

ron the dial 04-09-2015 05:06 PM

even a lot of the present day metal/noise that i listen to is only available on cassette. that's what drove me to get back into it. just felt like a natural step after my vinyl set up was "complete." i've only got a portable walkman at the moment (can't remember the model), but i want to get a cassette deck soon. just haven't put much effort into finding a good one yet.

Schlomey 04-09-2015 05:31 PM

Just visit any of your local Facebook yard sale/ bulletin board groups and make a post..you will have 3 within an hour....That's what I did and I have a killer Dennon duel tape deck straight out of a big collection.

GD 04-09-2015 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlomey (Post 4614063)
Dude I love tapes. It is a CHEAP way and sometimes the ONLY way to get the good 90s shit in analog. Long live cassettes as much as vinyl bro. Yeah I'm typing lke a drunk frat boy..and its 5pm...yep.

I heard the entire "Led Zeppelin" album on tape with a bunch of old timers while drinking some fine wine. It was an interesting experience.

GD 04-10-2015 03:27 PM

This analog master of Green Day's American Idiot sounds way better than the louder compressed version

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9oBjtbGfIlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ron the dial 04-12-2015 01:39 PM

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/PlkJI"><a href="//imgur.com/a/PlkJI">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

here's the beginnings of my tape collection. i still kick myself that i got rid of all my tapes from when i was a kid, although what reason did i really have to keep them? i dunno. more than anything, i wish i still had all of my weird all tapes.

ok, so here's what these are starting from pic 2. it's almost all metal or noise/tape loop stuff.

crown of cerberus - as she wipes the blood away from my dying hand: tape loop, delay, and distortion. apparently the source material is from a pop star, but i'm not sure who. this is from a different tape, but a good representation of what this does: http://depravitylabel.bandcamp.com/a...to-the-heavens

essene - demo: black metal from missouri. this is their first demo, and i bought based off of one song. there are only four, but i was not disappointed. http://essene.bandcamp.com/

hellébore - anouof thwo: more great black metal with an industrial edge because of the programmed drums out of québec. http://hellebore.bandcamp.com/

mizmor (מזמור) - viii orual: black/doom metal out of the pacific northwest. http://mizmor.bandcamp.com/album/mania-mizmor

phoenix diamond - runimaka: drone coming out of texas. i thought i was to hate it being in the plastic bag, but it's actually kind of nice. love the artwork on this. http://phoenixdiamond.bandcamp.com/album/r-nikama

summoning - lugburz & stronghold: tolkien inspired black metal. they released another one of their albums on cassette at the same time as these, but i didn't have any luck tracking it down. until last night when i couldn't sleep and just spent a few hours scouring different places for random stuff. you can find plenty of their music on youtube.

triumvir foul - an oath of blood and fire: death metal featuring members of ash borer. http://triumvirfoul.bandcamp.com/

wolves in the throne room - live 9.12.11 at the bell house, nrooklyn, ny: this had some awesome packaging. from the distro: "The first #283 copies feature: Letter-pressed packaging wrapped in handmade sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata subsp.) paper shroud. Sage branch, jute string, and dark gold St. Roch Av. wax seal binding. Prayer of Transformation lyrics in golden letter-press (61 prime numbered copies) and black letter press (222 copies). Cassette cover is designed to be burned after opening." don't think i'm gonna burn it.

yersinia pestis - finis gloriae mundi: more american black metal. it gets a bit sloppy at points, but i still thin it's a solid first showing. http://yersiniapestisplague.bandcamp.com/releases

frank zappa - ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch: not even sure where this came from. i found it in a box when i was moving. a solid find.

i guess i figured i'd put the links in there in case anyone was bored and wanted to check some stuff out. feels kind of silly to talk about this stuff without at least providing some of the material. not sure how many people here are into this kind of stuff.

Tom Guycott 04-12-2015 04:29 PM

Though I've theoretically inherited my mother's vinyl collection, only technically "own" 3 records: a copy of Sesame Street Fever mom bought for me when I was about 3-4, a pressing George Clinton's Greatest Funkin' Hits I picked up from the Hall of Fame my senior year in high school, and a copy of Booker T & The MG's Green Onions I was given by a friend of mine's wife after he passed away a few years ago.

DaveWadding 04-13-2015 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlomey (Post 4610681)

I tend to look for classic rock type stuff. I tend to stay away from the bigger (read: more expensive) bands specifically the Beatles and Zeppelin. My latest find was a first US press of Cream's first album, Fresh Cream. Not my favorite album, but it's still pretty cool.

My girlfriend tends towards classic country like Waylon and Haggard and Jones, so we have a mess of that too. She and I both love the 80s type stuff like George Strait and Randy Travis. Those were fun finds.

Schlomey 04-13-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveWadding (Post 4615203)
I tend to look for classic rock type stuff. I tend to stay away from the bigger (read: more expensive) bands specifically the Beatles and Zeppelin. My latest find was a first US press of Cream's first album, Fresh Cream. Not my favorite album, but it's still pretty cool.

My girlfriend tends towards classic country like Waylon and Haggard and Jones, so we have a mess of that too. She and I both love the 80s type stuff like George Strait and Randy Travis. Those were fun finds.

Disraeli Gears is my favorite Cream record. Hard to come by in great shape but if you can get it it's probably their finest. I'm a huge Clapton & Ginger Baker fan, so it fits. If you dig Ginger and/or jazz type stuff you HAVE TO check out Ginger Baker's Air Force Volume 1. It is a live concert 2 LP set. Crazy clown type cover art and some of the best free-jazz I have in my collection..and a few killer drum solo's by probably the best/most accurate drummer of all time.

GD 04-13-2015 04:12 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h8gXje4iizw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaveWadding 04-13-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlomey (Post 4615254)
Disraeli Gears is my favorite Cream record. Hard to come by in great shape but if you can get it it's probably their finest. I'm a huge Clapton & Ginger Baker fan, so it fits. If you dig Ginger and/or jazz type stuff you HAVE TO check out Ginger Baker's Air Force Volume 1. It is a live concert 2 LP set. Crazy clown type cover art and some of the best free-jazz I have in my collection..and a few killer drum solo's by probably the best/most accurate drummer of all time.

I'm with you. I'd take Disraeli Gears as my favorite, Wheels not far behind.

Schlomey 04-13-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru Dave (Post 4615520)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h8gXje4iizw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

a lot of my record people hate Anthony...I'm a fan. Not of his taste in music or even his reviews...but his quality production and he obviously loves what he does. Music nerd is accurate.

GD 04-15-2015 11:25 PM

He has "somewhat" influenced my taste...dunno what to think of it.

ron the dial 04-16-2015 12:09 AM

so i was just able to pay for deja entendu on interpunk. hope i got in before the stock has all been ordered and they have to refund me have. have no idea how limited the non-rsd version is, and i'm sure orders have been coming in like crazy. not sure when it went up on the site. some time today.

ron the dial 04-16-2015 12:17 AM

i'm sure i have nothing to worry about. but i, like many others, have been waiting a while for this. shit's gonna go quick i'd imagine.

GD 04-16-2015 12:23 AM

If I "restart" collecting records, I am going to go out of my way to get a copy of the "The Social Network". Also "Welcome Oblivion".

https://open.spotify.com/album/1ijkFiMeHopKkHyvQCWxUa

https://open.spotify.com/album/7GbRsK5uQvjenixMQzz0mA

Schlomey 04-16-2015 10:51 AM

My copy of Tom Waits "Rain Dogs" finally arrived in all of it's glory this morning from Japan. The OBI Timing Strip is in tact and everything sounded flawless as I had hoped.

Seth82 04-16-2015 11:30 AM

Here's some of mine in a video from August 2014.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ToAdC9XxBs8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Schlomey 04-16-2015 11:38 AM

Shocking how many of those records I own as well. Killer, Who, Cosmos Factory CCR, and News of the World is my favorite Queen record as well. Welcome to the thread Seth.

Schlomey 04-18-2015 04:04 AM

Happy RSD !! Post what you want and what you get. So far I have Decemberists, father John Misty and Rocky Horror 10" of Time Warp guaranteed. I'll probably grab a few more on impulse later today.

The Mask 04-18-2015 04:08 AM

Cream are boring as shit.

ron the dial 04-18-2015 09:14 AM

good contribution

GD 04-19-2015 12:58 AM

Share photos Schlomey.

ron the dial 04-20-2015 06:51 PM

did schlomey survive the day?

DaveWadding 04-20-2015 10:30 PM

Accidentally went to the record store on Record Store Day...way too many people. bought a $4 copy of Aerosmith Rocks. Got free promo Alabama Shakes 7" that I will never listen to. The end.