TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Sopranos Finale. (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=111098)

IC Champion 02-18-2011 03:19 PM

The Sopranos Finale.

Recently re watched the series of Sopranos and just finished the Finale a couple days ago, and my friend who also just finished watching it and we were discussing the last episode, now he absolutely hated it, and theres not changing his mind, he's a stubborn mule at the best of times anyways.

After rewatching it though I must say it's actually very well done, and if you watch the way the final scene was shot and directed, IMO I think it's pretty clear the show end with Tony's death.

Any thoughts? What do you think?

thedamndest 02-18-2011 03:26 PM

I don't think you can definitively say whether he was killed or not and that's kind of the whole point when you're in his position. You could pretty much be shot at any moment.

IC Champion 02-18-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedamndest (Post 3437124)
I don't think you can definitively say whether he was killed or not and that's kind of the whole point when you're in his position. You could pretty much be shot at any moment.

Well I don't think for certain, but from what I've read from the creator, and rewatching, it seems like he dies, they kept using POV shots from Tony, the final shot appears to be from tonys POV, and then black. I also remembered when Bobby said "You probably don't even see it coming."

If I had to wager, I would say he dies at the end, though like you said nothing is definitive.

IC Champion 02-18-2011 03:30 PM

Anyhoo, what were your personal opinions of the finale Theddy?

thedamndest 02-18-2011 03:35 PM

I'm torn on it. I like the ambiguity but at the same time six seasons is a lot to invest for no payoff. Feels like David Chase was just fucking with us.

IC Champion 02-18-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedamndest (Post 3437135)
I'm torn on it. I like the ambiguity but at the same time six seasons is a lot to invest for no payoff. Feels like David Chase was just fucking with us.

I felt the same way, I too like how it's ambiguious, thats what I told my friend. I think Chase did it becase there is a possibility of it maybe continuing, I have read recently a movie is in the works, but that Gandofini is holding it up, not sure how crediable it is, but I've also read similar in interview with cast members.

thedamndest 02-18-2011 07:37 PM

I don't think there is a need for a movie. Everyone is dead.

Sixx 02-19-2011 01:33 AM

Little Sopranos.

Family comedy in style of Rugrats.

dronepool 02-19-2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixx (Post 3437650)
Little Sopranos.

Family comedy in style of Rugrats.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uovMpapeCJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vox Populi 02-19-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instant Classic (Post 3437117)
I think it's pretty clear the show end with Tony's death.

I don't think that there's anything pretty clear about that whatsoever, mostly because David Chase repeatedly told us all that there's not supposed to be.

IC Champion 02-19-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vox Populi (Post 3437764)
I don't think that there's anything pretty clear about that whatsoever, mostly because David Chase repeatedly told us all that there's not supposed to be.

He's said various things on the subject, he's been all over the place when giving explanations on the ending.

Savio 02-19-2011 01:44 PM

That is not the way you should end a series

Vox Populi 02-19-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instant Classic (Post 3437898)
He's said various things on the subject, he's been all over the place when giving explanations on the ending.

He has, but he's been remarkably consistent when it comes to tying that scatteredness up with the "up to the viewer's interpretation" bow at the end of the various ramblings.

Loose Cannon 02-19-2011 07:52 PM

loved the ending. that whole scene was such a mindfuck. I remember when it aired for the first time and my heart was racing just waiting for him to get it. Sounds a bit silly, but watching the camera cut in and out of Meadow trying to parrell park multiple times was intense. Cause in your mind your thinking something's definately happening now. I just really loved the way that scene was filmed.

the episode before, Blue Comet, is my fav of the series

whiteyford 02-20-2011 07:21 AM

Remember reading at the time the plan was to shoot a movie or two to tie everything up, dunno how true that was or if it would even have worked? Think the ambiguity of the ending works for it though.

Gertner 02-22-2011 02:57 PM

He definitely was killed. That scene is full of symbolic events: Meadow having to try three times to park the car before suceeding = the first two times at killing Tony failed, the third suceeding. I'll have to re-watch the end episode to job my memory more.

Triple A 02-22-2011 03:09 PM

No he wasn't definitely killed. "Pretty clear the show ends with Tony's death." No it isn't pretty clear.

The whole scene was pretty much just messing with you. <3 it. What thedamndest said.

IC Champion 02-22-2011 06:04 PM

Isn't there somthing benign you should be whining about?

And really I don't see how your opinion is any more right then mine or Gertners, since it was rather ambiguous in the way it ended.

Triple A 02-22-2011 08:21 PM

No because you said it was "pretty clear" and he was "definitely killed." Go fuck yourself.

ron the dial 02-22-2011 08:21 PM

sometimes it's nice just not to know.

Triple A 02-22-2011 08:23 PM

"SHITTY EPISODE THIS WEEK, NOT ENOUGH ACTION" - Instant Classic after watching an episode of The Sopranos that didn't have enough action

Gertner 02-22-2011 08:28 PM

Triple A is an Arab. His opinion is meaningless.

IC Champion 02-22-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A (Post 3442024)
No because you said it was "pretty clear" and he was "definitely killed" you stupid fucking moron. Go fuck yourself.

That's cool, but name calling over a difference of opinion is just ridiculous. I also said "I think it's pretty clear", meaning those were my thoughts on the matter. Jesus, emotinal much?

IC Champion 02-22-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A (Post 3442027)
"SHITTY EPISODE THIS WEEK, NOT ENOUGH ACTION" - Instant Classic after watching an episode of The Sopranos that didn't have enough action

Also, I don't recall saying that, but perhaps I did.

Super V 02-22-2011 09:28 PM

As I remember there was a whole half a season where nothing happened.

RoXer 02-22-2011 09:49 PM

I don't remember that at all.

weather vane 02-22-2011 11:34 PM

fuck I miss this show

KleptoKlown 02-23-2011 09:09 PM

David Chase is a troll, that much is for sure.

Personally, I think Tony was clipped, because if he wasn't, the show would have continued on...there still would have been a story to tell, including Tony's arrest and trial. It would have happend...and it would have been great TV. No way the FBI wasn't going to arrest and charge him.

CSL 02-23-2011 09:15 PM

If the writer and the stars don't want to go on, there's jackshit the FBI can do.

KleptoKlown 02-23-2011 09:20 PM

Glad to see those "stars" have gone on to bigger and better things...

Loose Cannon 02-23-2011 09:41 PM

can it really get much bigger after a show like Sopranos? don't really think much more was expected from them

weather vane 02-23-2011 10:34 PM

I would be first in line if they ever made a movie!

KleptoKlown 02-23-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spilchuk (Post 3443226)
I would be first in line if they ever made a movie!

If they did make a movie, it would mean Tony didnt die(whats the point of making a Sopranos movie without Tony?) in the final...making it completely redundant.

CSL 02-23-2011 10:38 PM

what

KleptoKlown 02-23-2011 10:59 PM

If Tony didn't die in the finale...then what the hell was the point of making that the final scene?

Sitting down at some dinner with the family munchin on onion rings?

Yeah, great way to end a show...

SlickyTrickyDamon 02-23-2011 10:59 PM

I'm going to make a long and satisfying post about this show the Sopr---

Triple A 02-23-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KleptoKlown (Post 3443252)
If Tony didn't die in the finale...then what the hell was the point of making that the final scene?

Sitting down at some dinner with the family munchin on onion rings?

Yeah, great way to end a show...

KleptoKlown 02-23-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 3443253)
I'm going to make a long and satisfying post about this show the Sopr---

exactly....you were going to make a long post...but you "had to go" so your post was abruptly ended.

Vox Populi 02-23-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KleptoKlown (Post 3443125)
Glad to see those "stars" have gone on to bigger and better things...

That's more than a little bit harsh - Gandolfini's had a successful run on the big screen, Falco continues to win major television awards, Bracco and Imperioli remain on TV and continue to garner critical acclaim, Sigler had a great run on Entourage, Iler decided to get an education, Little Steven went back to that day job of his which you might have heard of, and the rest of the featured cast have a list of celebrity endorsements longer than your leg...or are dead or Drea DeMatteo.

Quote:

Personally, I think Tony was clipped, because if he wasn't, the show would have continued on...there still would have been a story to tell, including Tony's arrest and trial. It would have happend...and it would have been great TV. No way the FBI wasn't going to arrest and charge him.
Or the show would end after 6 seasons, as Chase had always claimed that it would.

Big Vic 09-14-2017 10:38 AM

After watching the series in total I change my opinion It was a good way to end the series. Tony died.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_RHvYRU2Aow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>