TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bate V Dunne From NXT Takeover: Chicago Uploaded for Free (Hasney's WWE MOTY 2017) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134431)

#BROKEN Hasney 01-05-2018 01:37 PM

Bate V Dunne From NXT Takeover: Chicago Uploaded for Free (Hasney's WWE MOTY 2017)

Hey, my personal WWE MOTY from 2017 got uploaded for free. Making this it's own thread to hopefully get eyeballs on it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WukMTB6SOeo" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody Thrilla 01-05-2018 02:56 PM

Incredible match, that one.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-05-2018 04:46 PM

Loved JR's commentary.

Emperor Smeat 01-05-2018 07:05 PM

Was my favorite WWE match last year and 3rd overall after the two big Omega-Okada matches.

Every match they've had together in the WWE so far has been really great.

Mr. Nerfect 01-05-2018 07:41 PM

I'm tempted to check it out.

Anybody Thrilla 01-05-2018 08:29 PM

It's for sure a wrestling fan's match.

XL 01-06-2018 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5068128)
I'm tempted to check it out.

You really should.

Mr. Nerfect 01-06-2018 06:14 PM

It just means I have to click on a video. And that seems like work, you know?

XL 01-06-2018 06:38 PM

It’s worth it.

Mr. Nerfect 01-06-2018 06:54 PM

Watched it. My thoughts:

* JR's voice is like a warm hug.

* My first thought is that these guys could use vets in their corner. Just to represent the style they work and the story they are trying to tell.

* Tyler Bate is such a babyface. He looks so sweet and innocent out there. He'll grow into his frame a lot more, but it looks like he can't do much, but then he works and it wows you how strong and co-ordinated he is. Very easy to get behind.

* I like Pete Dunne a lot. I like how he presents himself. He's got the tan, the mouth-guard, the hair, he's stockier whilst still looking "good." He's so obvious the heel that is eventually going to be turned face by the fans as people begin to respect him more and more.

* Nigel McGuinness and JR are the best commentary team in wrestling.

* I liked the start of the match. Bate and Dunne obviously know each other, and there's chemistry on top of that.

* Then...I dunno. It became everything I hate about modern wrestling. It's the same match Al Snow talks about, and the same match that Rip Rogers rags on. I honestly think it should have ended after the forearm/Orange Crush spot. Because what happens then is that they just start doing moves and kicking out and looking sweaty and confused and everyone in that dumb-ass crowd puts their hands up to their face. They're just...moves.

* You can tell JR is trying at the end, but there's not much either him nor Nigel can really say. It becomes that hyperbolic "What a match!" "These guys are really laying it all out there!" because there really is no story once they start just doing moves and then hitting dives and twists for no reason.

* That crowd fucking sucked so bad. Dueling chants, "U-K! U-K! U-K!", "This is awesome!", "Fight forever!" But if you want to stop the crowd being filled with geeks who want to be the show instead of watching it, then I think you've got to stop basically your entire roster working like geeks.

* I'd give anything for there to just be one town or city in the US that is smart enough to say "You know what? We know it's not real. They know we know. We don't need to go out there and prove it to them by being a geek crowd like everyone else. Let's cheer the babyface and boo the heel; let's actually cheer for the wrestlers as opposed to the match, or ourselves."

Overall: I'd say it was a great match. By today's standards anyway. It started off different with the chain-wrestling, which you don't really see today. It gives a nod to their heritage and the history of wrestling in England. Then I lost interest for the second half when they started behaving, as Frankie Boyle once said, like "pretend dumb Americans." I hate giving star ratings, but if I did, I'd probably go with ***1/2, right on the verge of ****, but I give them out harsher than most people. I look at matches more so for what they are than how long they go or how many moves per minute there are, or how many false finishes they cram in. And I stop at ****, because that's how movies do it, and I think anything that gets promoted to a ***** with historical significance is something you can't really measure at the time. One thing I will say, is that even though I hated that crowd, they did get it over with those muppets, which is what I suppose it is all about. Well, it's a large part of it.

Fignuts 01-06-2018 07:57 PM

Noid, since you have njworld for the month you should check out some of the older stuff, from the 70's and 80's. Lots of old school storytelling, milking holds and payoffs. Normally I don't suggest that stuff, because it's slower and not really for everybody, especially modern fans, but from whst I'm reading from your comments, it might be up your alley.

The NJPW vs UWF stuff in the mid 80's is particularly awesome.

Mr. Nerfect 01-06-2018 08:18 PM

I don't have New Japan World, but thanks for the recommendation.

Fignuts 01-06-2018 09:30 PM

My bad thought you got it for wrestle kingdom.

Mr. Nerfect 01-06-2018 10:08 PM

Nah, I watched it via other means.

Anybody Thrilla 01-07-2018 03:03 PM

That thing you're talking about with the fans turning Dunne face is kinda happening already right now.

Mr. Nerfect 01-07-2018 05:50 PM

Yeah, you could kind of feel it even in there. Hard to be a heel for long, especially when you are good at your job. It'll be interesting to see if they turn him or double-down. Wolfgang is set to come back, isn't he? He could be a heel to go against Dunne. I doubt they turn Tyler or Trent Seven. Well, maybe Trent.

Outsider 01-07-2018 06:22 PM

That match is great, but so is the match from the second UK Special which was a qualifying match for this one - Dunne vs Mark Andrews (which I know has been done to death, but is always a good 'un).

Wish they would sort out whatever they are doing with the UK side of things as does feel like they are missing out on making bigger stars out of them as a result.

On the plus side, at least they are still able to do other shows here. Saw Mark Andrews vs Ryan Smile just before Christmas. Was pretty good. I think. I don't know. I was pretty wankered.

Mr. Nerfect 01-07-2018 06:44 PM

Hahaha. :lol:

I kind of like the UK guys being special right now. I'm sure Dunne will defend at Takeover: New Orleans.

XL 01-07-2018 06:47 PM

I can see Dunne turning face to align with Bate and Seven to go against The Undisputed Era (ugh).

Mr. Nerfect 01-07-2018 06:51 PM

Haha, I can see that too, actually.

XL 01-08-2018 04:07 PM

The (ugh) was about the name more so than the prospect of the feud.

Lock Jaw 01-08-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XL (Post 5068845)
I can see Dunne turning face to align with Bate and Seven to go against The Undisputed Era (ugh).

Dunne Bating vs. The Undisputed Era

Mr. Nerfect 01-09-2018 05:36 AM

Dunne Bating might be the best tag team name ever.

Mr. Nerfect 01-09-2018 05:37 AM

That matches will be good, and it will put Cole against guys he kind of looks believable against.

Danny Electric 01-12-2018 02:11 PM

They have a ready made way to start that feud, William Regal finally has enough of The Undisputed Era interrupting matches and taking out guys, he knows three guys who will show them how to really fight , three guys who carry on his style , 'British Strong Style.'

The crowd already know who they are so will go mad for it and if you are to call the man up to the main roster in the future then keep Regal with them as a 'mentor'.

Mr. Nerfect 01-13-2018 02:50 PM

I wouldn't have Regal go up with them.

Danny Electric 01-13-2018 05:39 PM

Not on a full time basis , just to help them go over with your 'regular' WWE guys who would have no idea who these guys are.

Mr. Nerfect 01-13-2018 05:46 PM

Yeah, the occasional special appearance would be cool.

Heisenberg 01-18-2018 11:39 AM

Love these guys and Trent Seven

Danny Electric 01-18-2018 12:53 PM

The last two gigs I've been too , I have seen different people wearing British Strong Style hoodies.