TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ready Player One (2018) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=133699)

slik 07-22-2017 08:55 PM

Ready Player One (2018)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dtwpjnuaVTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slik 07-22-2017 09:00 PM

I just realized that the was The Iron Giant and Freddy Krueger in that teaser.

:eek:

Sepholio 07-25-2017 03:30 AM

The bike from Akira :o

And the DeLorean haha

Rammsteinmad 07-25-2017 07:29 AM

Duke Nukem was in there.

Rammsteinmad 07-25-2017 07:29 AM

No idea what the hell this is about, but the amount of potential pop culture references/easter eggs etc looks fun.

JimmyMess 07-25-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammsteinmad (Post 4994818)
No idea what the hell this is about, but the amount of potential pop culture references/easter eggs etc looks fun.

yeah what exactly is this?! its crazy but looks cool

slik 07-25-2017 05:49 PM

It's based on a book. Description from Amazon:

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-.../dp/0307887448

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

JimmyMess 07-26-2017 09:19 AM

I ended up reading about the book. Seems like a funky wild story. Really cool concept!

slik 12-10-2017 05:26 PM

New trailer is fantastic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cSp1dM2Vj48" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lock Jaw 12-10-2017 05:28 PM

Yeah, looks pretty cool....... wonder if it will be any good.....

Danny Electric 12-10-2017 06:00 PM

Some of this was filmed near me in the Digbeth area of Birmingham

SlickyTrickyDamon 12-10-2017 06:41 PM

Krennic is now type-cast.

Anthony Hopkins 12-10-2017 09:04 PM

Hannibal Lecter is not in this, sadly.

Shisen Kopf 12-10-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5057008)
Yeah, looks pretty cool....... wonder if it will be any good.....

PrettyCool you mean

Fignuts 12-11-2017 05:28 AM

Marked out hard for the Gundam.

Heisenberg 12-11-2017 09:31 AM

Did you see Tracer and Chun-Li?

Tom Guycott 03-29-2018 12:17 AM

Finished up the book. I'm taking my happy ass to see this day one (read: in a number of hours).

I initially wasn't excited about it, as I had zero context. All I saw a few months ago was so much internet nerd rage about people "sick of hearing about it". Then, I finally saw the trailer, but without the context of story, it kinda seemed like Wreck-It Ralph and TRON 2 had a baby in a race to make a movie version of Paul's Boutique.**

Then, I got turned on to the audiobook, and, yeah... the references all spoke to me like a soulmate. I got to mark out for shit like Swordquest.

Even if the flick doesn't live up to the hype or the book, I seriously doubt I will regret going. This will basically be an early birthday present.

**What I mean is the fact that if it wasn't still the proverbial Wild West of beat sampling, it is well documented that Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique would have been one of, if not the most expensive album to produce from all of the songs, movie clips, and notable sound effects contained therein. This movie might circumvent a sizable portion of such a problem given how monolithic Disney has become and properties that would have required several deals to clear just a few short years ago are now pretty much in-house. Also, it will be interesting to note what gets sidestepped. For example, without getting spoilery, I think Iron Giant is actually an analogue for something else that either couldn't be licenced, or they just didn't want to bother with it and used something readily available.

Tom Guycott 04-03-2018 12:31 AM

So, I will sum up my feelings about this whilst sidestepping spoilers.

I would recommend going to see it *if* you haven't read the book.

This movie made me feel weird. It's a conundrum. I didn't really have an interest in seeing it until I got turned on to the book, but I would have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I hadn't read the book first. They changed a lot. A. LOT. But, the changes, for the most part, were for the sake of making it a couple hour film. What was done was done well, and it was enjoyable enough, but I feel like I should have liked it more than I did.

The best way I can describe it (yet, still a bit unfairly) is this: remember that movie Square tried to do Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within? It wasn't a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. It was actually pretty great. The problem was trying to hitch the Final Fantasy wagon onto it for metaphorical street cred. Applying the name heaped a whole hell of a lot of expectations on the film that weren't going to be met.

"The book was better" is such a cliche thing to say, but here, it is soooo true. The film kinda misses the "love letter" to the references, and so much had to be stripped down, condensed, consolidated, that it's barely the same story... but, at the same time, it still wasn't *bad* because of those things. I personally feel this would have been better served as like a 5 part miniseries (kinda like oldschool V) on Netflix or Crunchyroll or something.

Fignuts 04-17-2018 08:04 PM

Replace all the iconic pop culture stuff with original content and the movie wouldn't have been a blip on the radar. Average at best. Lot of awkward cringeworthy dialogue. Particularly when someone goes "hey isn't that (insert pop culture thing) from (insert pop culture thing)?"

Some neat action scenes though. Worth a red box I guess. Cool to see Gundam get some love.

Tom Guycott 04-17-2018 10:13 PM

Thing is, all the iconic pop culture stuff had more context in the book. And there was way more of it.

Even that Gundam was a substitute for something else. But it got the point across of what was supposed to happen and how you were supposed to feel about it. I was surprised they kept Mecha Godzilla intact, though.

Danny Electric 04-23-2018 07:28 PM

I very much enjoyed it, looked amazing and the film ran quick for the running time .
I took two of my sons and the fact that two 11 year olds sat there for that long and were gripped was a big endorsement for me since they both have small attention spans.

Damian Rey 2.0 04-24-2018 02:02 AM

Loved that the Godzilla theme was sampled when mecha Godzilla showed up

Fignuts 04-24-2018 02:04 AM

That was a nice touch, yes.

Danny Electric 04-24-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Rey 2.0 (Post 5112213)
Loved that the Godzilla theme was sampled when mecha Godzilla showed up

Yesssss that was awesome