TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   FOX interested in buying WWE? (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134454)

slik 01-11-2018 09:53 AM

FOX interested in buying WWE?

Quote:

Dave Meltzer discussed the possibility of FOX buying the WWE in the latest edition of The Wrestling Observer newsletter. The speculation is based on both WWE and UFC having to renew their tv deals in 2018, and UFC might be interested in moving elsewhere. Paul Levesque (HHH) met with FOX executives recently and the belief is that if UFC signs elsewhere FOX will want something to fill up air time on it’s Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 stations.

Meltzer has also heard FOX could be looking to purchase WWE entirely, so they don’t have to worry about losing a brand to TV rights again, as FOX initially tried to purchase UFC to prevent that issue from arising. The Observer speculates that unless a gigantic multi-billion dollar offer was made to buy WWE then Vince McMahon would likely hesitate to sell-off his majority ownership in the company.

One thing mentioned to Meltzer was that RAW could possibly end up on the FOX broadcast network with SmackDown Live heading to Fox Sports 1, with WWE adding more programming to fill up time slots on Fox Spots 2. One bonus of this would be RAW moving back to two hours, as many local FOX stations have news broacasts that air an hour earlier than NBC, ABC and CBS stations. FOX has a larger cash-flow than normal at the moment due to the sale of FOX Studios to Disney. Both UFC and WWE will likely have their new tv deals by mid-2018 and any changes in network would occur beginning in October 2019.

http://www.tpww.net/2018/01/fox-poss...urchasing-wwe/

Destor 01-11-2018 09:57 AM

I think Vince loves the company more than money. Literally dont think theres a price tag on it...now after death...

Arrogance 01-11-2018 09:58 AM

Can't see Vincec selling WWE...long term profits + blood sweat and tears versus short term cash out. Starting from a trailer with nothing and ending up with a billion + is not bad for thee McMahon family.

erickman 01-11-2018 10:17 AM

fox would keep vince on wouldn't they who would they bring in? story wise they could bring in eric bischoff to fire vince steph shane and trips.

Evil Vito 01-11-2018 12:21 PM

If UFC was to walk from their deal with FOX (which has a real chance of happening, since UFC feel severely undermarketed by FOX), it will be a huge win for WWE any way you'll cut it.

USA will want to keep WWE, and FOX will make a play for WWE. And a bidding war will commence, with WWE retaining not just the ability to make a lot of cash but also dictate the terms of their deal. Pretty sure the 3 Hour RAW was put in play by the USA Network who wanted to reap more from RAW's ability to pull in abnormal figures on monday nights, hence why they also went in for SD Live when their SyFy deal ended because SDLive manages to be somewhat comparable in being able to get consistently high ratings for their time slot and competition.

If FOX tables a massive deal that blows USA out of the water, then odds are the 3 Hour show might easily revert back to being a 2 hour affair. Not just because of the newscast at 10, but because WWE probably prefers that. If USA outbids FOX, WWE could also negotiate the show back to 2 hours if that's what WWE wants.

However it is played, WWE would be set to make out like bandits.

Big Vic 01-11-2018 12:29 PM

If TNA/GFW goes to Twitch PopTV might get in on the bidding war too :shifty:

#1-norm-fan 01-11-2018 02:20 PM

I hear TNA/GFW/Impact's next TV deal could be worth 4 figures. POSSIBLY 5.

Emperor Smeat 01-11-2018 04:58 PM

Unless they'd offer something in the range of UFC money ($3 billion), don't see Vince selling WWE and losing all his real power over the company.

Would probably need something like an investor's rebellion or a hostile takeover by FOX to make it happen.

DAMN iNATOR 01-11-2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5070362)

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Droford 01-13-2018 03:13 AM

Can't imagine RAW on network TV. SD was on UPN for awhile but that didn't count. Plus RAW would get pre emptrd for the World Series or something again like it used to with Tennis

Destor 01-13-2018 10:30 AM

Why wouldnt upn counf?

Shisen Kopf 01-13-2018 10:38 AM

Bc it's a black channel. Very racist comment damn

Shisen Kopf 01-13-2018 10:40 AM

Borderline bullying tbh

Mr. Nerfect 01-13-2018 02:46 PM

Very intriguing news. For some reason, I just expect the status quo, but a 2-hour Raw on network television is probably very good for them. I can see Vince selling, to be honest. I honestly think being owned by Disney would be him "making it" in his mind.

Jordan 01-13-2018 08:25 PM

I would love for someone to buyout Vince McMahon.

Emperor Smeat 01-13-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5070784)
Very intriguing news. For some reason, I just expect the status quo, but a 2-hour Raw on network television is probably very good for them. I can see Vince selling, to be honest. I honestly think being owned by Disney would be him "making it" in his mind.

While on paper it would be very beneficial, only real way RAW goes back to 2 hours is if FOX, USA or whoever else wants them covers the $40-$50 million WWE would be losing each year I think.

Could argue the 3rd hour has been the main reason why the WWE has been profitable during their current tv deal. Also pretty much has been subsiding the huge sums of money spent on the Network.

SlickyTrickyDamon 01-13-2018 11:15 PM

Fox is in sell mode. Fake News.

slik 01-14-2018 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 5070988)
Fox is in sell mode. Fake News.

1 - Not all of FOX is being sold to Disney

2 - The article says :

Quote:

FOX has a larger cash-flow than normal at the moment due to the sale of FOX Studios to Disney.

Mr. Nerfect 01-14-2018 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Smeat (Post 5070982)
While on paper it would be very beneficial, only real way RAW goes back to 2 hours is if FOX, USA or whoever else wants them covers the $40-$50 million WWE would be losing each year I think.

Could argue the 3rd hour has been the main reason why the WWE has been profitable during their current tv deal. Also pretty much has been subsiding the huge sums of money spent on the Network.

That's what the new deal would be for. Pay us enough money but we want to do two hours so we can get better results. Other programming can be inserted onto FS2 (x number of hours).

Tom Guycott 01-14-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan (Post 5070362)

Are we including after the decimal point as part of said 4-5 figures?

Or are we talking drawings of stick figures?

Either sounds believable at this point.