TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Most Undeserved Pushes (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134014)

Swiss Ultimate 10-07-2017 08:57 PM

Most Undeserved Pushes

Here's my Top 3. My criteria is that they disappointed me personally as well as dropped the ball.

Glacier- not really a "push", but they hyped the hell out of that guy. Great example of WCW wasting a ton of money for pretty much no benefit to them. I remember expecting something really special there and being so disappointed.

Vickie Guerrero- tell me why we turned the widow of a wonderful wrestler into a terrible heel while humiliating her on a weekly basis. The nude photoshoot still makes me feel ill, not because she was unattractive, but because she was made to look awful by her own employer. She was not good at her job, people just hated listening to her voice.

Test- RIP. Generic look, terrible in the ring, no charisma. Biggest accomplishment was being in The Union with Foley and the Rock. Felt like he was pushed only because he was kind of tall.

Mr. Nerfect 10-07-2017 09:14 PM

Jinder Mahal

Bad News Gertner 10-07-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiss (Post 5023995)
Here's my Top 3. My criteria is that they disappointed me personally as well as dropped the ball.

Glacier- not really a "push", but they hyped the hell out of that guy. Great example of WCW wasting a ton of money for pretty much no benefit to them. I remember expecting something really special there and being so disappointed.

Vickie Guerrero- tell me why we turned the widow of a wonderful wrestler into a terrible heel while humiliating her on a weekly basis. The nude photoshoot still makes me feel ill, not because she was unattractive, but because she was made to look awful by her own employer. She was not good at her job, people just hated listening to her voice.

Test- RIP. Generic look, terrible in the ring, no charisma. Biggest accomplishment was being in The Union with Foley and the Rock. Felt like he was pushed only because he was kind of tall.

I agree with Test and Glacier, but Vickie was the best heel in a decade. She was a heat magnet

Bad News Gertner 10-07-2017 10:23 PM

As someone who has watched way more 1980's/very early 90's WWF wrestling than I care to admit, the 1990 push of Dino Bravo was the worst

Ruien 10-07-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5024002)
Jinder Mahal

This.

Finn Balor when he won the belt before getting injured.

Mr. Nerfect 10-07-2017 10:33 PM

Oh, yeah, Balor is a modern one. I mean, you can make that case for anyone who really gets pushed out the gate, because what is "deserving" in that case? But using the term liberally and by looking at whether or not the lead-in or the aftermath lived up to it, then Balor definitely makes the list.

Mr. Nerfect 10-07-2017 10:33 PM

Khali really just got pushed because he was big and Indian. But by default that makes him a little better than Mahal, because at least he was big.

Bad News Gertner 10-07-2017 10:34 PM

Mabel in 95

Bad News Gertner 10-07-2017 10:34 PM

Billy Gunn as a single in 99

Ruien 10-07-2017 11:14 PM

Gunn did enough to deserve a try at a singles run. He just failed at it.

Swiss Ultimate 10-07-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner (Post 5024025)
I agree with Test and Glacier, but Vickie was the best heel in a decade. She was a heat magnet

She got boos. I thought it was because of how terrible she was and not because she was an effective heel.

Could be wrong, but it always seemed like she had that "xpac heat" people used to talk about all the time.

Swiss Ultimate 10-07-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruien (Post 5024042)

He had been part of a successful tag team and was a solid C+ wrassler with no business near the top.

Swiss Ultimate 10-07-2017 11:29 PM

I'm using a broad definition of "undeserved".

You could make the case that a lot of company guys who gave a lot to the business "deserve" a push, but really the fans are ultimately the deciding factor. The fans were not clamoring for MORE Billy Gunn and his reaction from the start of that 99 run was awful.

He could not get anybody to care or even buy him as a threat to The Rock. So I'd say the push was undeserved.

Fignuts 10-07-2017 11:37 PM

Agree with Gertner on Vickie.

Tadao Yasuda and Kazuyuki Fujita in New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Neither could work for shit, but were given the IWGP Heavyweight Title anyway, because New Japan was trying to capitalize on the MMA boom of the early 2000's but fans shit all over it. That combined with the Lesnar debacle sent the company into a nose dive that it still hasn't recovered from, even with it's current resurgence.

Bad News Gertner 10-07-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiss (Post 5024044)
She got boos. I thought it was because of how terrible she was and not because she was an effective heel.

Could be wrong, but it always seemed like she had that "xpac heat" people used to talk about all the time.

It was definitely not X-Pac heat. She got the loudest boos during that promo with Cena that I've ever heard before.

Bad News Gertner 10-07-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruien (Post 5024042)

He failed misrably during that program with the Rock

Frank Drebin 10-08-2017 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5024050)
Agree with Gertner on Vickie.

Tadao Yasuda and Kazuyuki Fujita in New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Neither could work for shit, but were given the IWGP Heavyweight Title anyway, because New Japan was trying to capitalize on the MMA boom of the early 2000's but fans shit all over it. That combined with the Lesnar debacle sent the company into a nose dive that it still hasn't recovered from, even with it's current resurgence.

Can someone give or direct me to a run down of this? I had no idea Lesnar in NJPW was a huge disaster.

Fignuts 10-08-2017 01:57 AM

He basically squashed everyone with the eventual plan being to have Tanahashi stepping up to slay the beast. But then he vacated the title due to visa issues, leaving no pay off and everyone in new japan looking like chumps. Lesnar kept the physical belt and had a unification match against Angle who was the IWGP champ at the time....which still left New Japan looking bad since it was a TNA guy who eventually beat him.

Mr. Nerfect 10-08-2017 02:20 AM

EDIT: Sorry, I literally just ignored Fignuts' post.

Mr. Nerfect 10-08-2017 02:24 AM

But Brock will make things right when he returns to New Japan in 2018.

Fignuts 10-08-2017 04:25 AM

Thinking about Lesnar vs Iishi is making me hard.

Swiss Ultimate 10-08-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5024075)
He basically squashed everyone with the eventual plan being to have Tanahashi stepping up to slay the beast. But then he vacated the title due to visa issues, leaving no pay off and everyone in new japan looking like chumps. Lesnar kept the physical belt and had a unification match against Angle who was the IWGP champ at the time....which still left New Japan looking bad since it was a TNA guy who eventually beat him.

Yeah, but at least it was Kurt Angle. Still shitty though that they didn't get the big match.

KIRA 10-08-2017 02:26 PM

Muhummad Hassan

Triple H

Bella Twins

I'm just gonna say it: Adam Cole there is nothing about this guy that makes me want to watch him (I never thought I'd see somebody I wanted to watch less than Rodrick Strong)

Baron Corbin

Enzo?????

SlickyTrickyDamon 10-08-2017 02:47 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2JgfKIqVZzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

loltnagfwimpact

Anybody Thrilla 10-08-2017 02:48 PM

Enzo is at least a great promo. He's fucking crushing on 205 Live right now.

Fignuts 10-08-2017 04:15 PM

Yeah, there might be a lot of IWC people that don't like him, but the dude is over as fuck, and I don't blame the WWE for putting the title on him to inject some life into 205 live.

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-08-2017 04:24 PM

as I've said before, I loved that finish versus Neville. It's the only logical way Enzo could beat someone of Neville's calibre and it made sense.

Lock Jaw 10-08-2017 04:26 PM

Undeserved push?

http://i.imgur.com/lfWNo.gif

Stickman 10-08-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiss (Post 5024044)

She was the only person to make me change the channel every single time she was on. She was not a good heal to me, she was unbearable.

Anybody Thrilla 10-08-2017 05:39 PM

Sorry Stickbro, but Vickie was a great heel.

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-08-2017 05:41 PM

People are pretty polarized on Vickie's effectiveness. I give her MAD credit for going head first into a role she was not qualified for as a performer, but I personally could not keep the t.v. on when she was on-screen. But maybe you're more of a wrestling fan than I, ABT.

Anybody Thrilla 10-08-2017 05:46 PM

Dunno what makes you say that last part, but she got really good. Maybe not at first.

Also, do you guys really just change the channel like that? How do you even know how long she's going to be on TV for a segment? Or maybe she was about to get interrupted by one of your favorites. Whether a show sucks or not, I stick with it all the way through. I always hear people say they change the channel or turn the TV off, and it sounds hilariously short-sighted to me.

KIRA 10-08-2017 05:48 PM

I gotta be honest Vickie pulled off her role beautifully

her grating voice deserves all the credit I lost bone density whenever she screamed

Lock Jaw 10-08-2017 05:49 PM

For the first few years I think she was unbearable..... hated all the stuff with Edge....

I think it was maybe halfway through her run with Ziggler before I turned around on her and was like "you know what, she is a great heel...... but in saying that people love to hate her so much that all the heat is going onto her instead of to Ziggler"

McLegend 10-08-2017 05:50 PM

Test's greatest accomplishment was banging Stacey Keibler.

Anybody Thrilla 10-08-2017 05:51 PM

Let's not forget the Immunity Battle Royal. Wrestlemania moment. Also, that Love Her or Leave Her match was tight.

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-08-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla (Post 5024350)
Dunno what makes you say that last part, but she got really good. Maybe not at first.

Also, do you guys really just change the channel like that? How do you even know how long she's going to be on TV for a segment? Or maybe she was about to get interrupted by one of your favorites. Whether a show sucks or not, I stick with it all the way through. I always hear people say they change the channel or turn the TV off, and it sounds hilariously short-sighted to me.

Sorry I didn't actually mean that to be snarky.... I just find certain "wrestling" characters to just be too on the nose, and not be subtle enough and it actually just kills it for me. But that is kind of the lure of wrestling I guess, having over-the-top characters. I honestly do think you're a bigger wrestling fan than me because you enjoy it far more, and that's a good thing tbh. Would rather enjoy it than be as cynical about it as I am, but I can only enjoy what I like... knah mean?

Ol Dirty Dastard 10-08-2017 05:54 PM

and also, you can turn the channel til that person is done, and change it back in hopes they're showing something you like.

Destor 10-08-2017 05:56 PM

Chavo Guerrero never got a push based on his own talents so underserved fits

Anybody Thrilla 10-08-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dastardly Dale Newstead (Post 5024356)
and also, you can turn the channel til that person is done, and change it back in hopes they're showing something you like.

You're bound to miss something that way. Would you ever turn off a movie because there was a boring part?