TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wrestle Kingdom 12 Hype thread ft. Chris Jericho v Kenny Omega (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134156)

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 06:58 AM

Wrestle Kingdom 12 Hype thread ft. Chris Jericho v Kenny Omega

https://i.imgur.com/EfXdZYy.png

I mean, we all knew their Twitter feud was a work, but I thought it was going to announce a match on his cruise.

January 4th 2018 for the IWGP US belt will be the first time Jericho has wrestled outside of WWE since 1999. This is a personal dream match for me.

Bad News Gertner 11-05-2017 07:04 AM

And it'll be a 3 star match just like every Jericho match from the past ten years.

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 07:11 AM

Probably, I have this idea in my head that Jericho shakes off the WWE style for one night only and brings it to a 4 star instead.

Bad News Gertner 11-05-2017 07:26 AM

If he can dial back to his feud with HBK that'd be great

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 07:45 AM

Yeah, the card is also so stacked that it will probably be the worst match of the post-intermission matches anyway.

Okada V Naito
Omega V Jericho
Tanahashi V Jay White
Ospreay V Marty Scurll V Kushida V Takahashi
Young Bucks V R3K

Evil Vito 11-05-2017 08:08 AM

*throws money at TV screen*

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #BrotherVito DELETED (Post 5037696)
*throws money at TV screen*

For the low low price of only 999

Yen.

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 08:57 AM

This is the video that played after Omega beat Trent Baretta

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NJPW?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NJPW</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NJWK12?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NJWK12</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/IAmJericho?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IAmJericho</a> <a href="https://t.co/kRRpRWzsCq">pic.twitter.com/kRRpRWzsCq</a></p>&mdash; LARIATOOOO!!!! (@MrLARIATO) <a href="https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/927140603477086208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 5, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lock Jaw 11-05-2017 09:49 AM

Nice Eleven cosplay

Maluco 11-05-2017 09:58 AM

This is interesting to me from the perspective of WWE, always letting him come and go when he wants and having a lot of freedom, presumably in return for some sort of loyalty and being a company man.

No real sympathy for WWE, but I do find it interesting if he has made this deal without their knowledge. Doubt they would be happy about it.

Jordan 11-05-2017 10:41 AM

Good for him. This is going to be fucking awesome. And as far as WWE goes, why should they really care? He's already promoting his own show on the cruise ship like crazy. The guy wants to make money off his fame, have at it Jericho! This match will be epic.

Evil Vito 11-05-2017 11:24 AM

Gonna go ahead and book the day off. No way I can't watch this live.

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 11:26 AM

Probably won't be able to get the day off, but going to work from home at day for sure.

Evil Vito 11-05-2017 11:50 AM

If the G1 Semis are any indication, the show will end sometime in the first hour or two of my my workday, so hypothetically I could feign a doctor's appointment and just go in after. But like fuck am I gonna want to go in after getting up at 3 AM or whatever.

James Steele 11-05-2017 11:53 AM

Holy sh*t.

Maluco 11-05-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragile X (Post 5037713)
Good for him. This is going to be fucking awesome. And as far as WWE goes, why should they really care? He's already promoting his own show on the cruise ship like crazy. The guy wants to make money off his fame, have at it Jericho! This match will be epic.

I am not saying he is wrong to make money of his name as a performer, while he can. Not at all.

WWE, however, have always frowned upon guys doing their own thing, especially in wrestling. This is putting eyes on a potential rival product, American eyes. That seems to be something that would really rattle Vince.

Given the relationship they have had recently, I can definitely see them being disappointed about it and this time they may have a valid reason to be upset with him given their relationship and freedom he was given.

I am not complaining at all though and would love a real competitor to emerge. So the more eyes on other products, for me, the better

Destor 11-05-2017 12:13 PM

Hope Omegas back can handle it

Bad News Gertner 11-05-2017 12:31 PM

People waaaaay over-rate how good Jericho is in the ring

Destor 11-05-2017 12:36 PM

He was great in the ring...in the 90s.

But a marquee level njpw main event with the best worker in the world in 2017?

Gonna be a long day in the office for Omega.

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 01:18 PM

Don't know how long this has been in the works for as they were seemingly building towards Omega V Ibushi for ages. Now it's Omega/Jericho though, Cody beat up abd challenged Ibushi after the event.

Fignuts 11-05-2017 01:21 PM

I'm with Hasney. I can see Jericho being more creative and wrestling a more interesting match without the WWE style shackling him.

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 01:30 PM

I think we're going to see an OG Liontamer and I will jizz everywhere and be happy.

Simple Fan 11-05-2017 02:05 PM

Fucking cool. Hopefully Jericho steps it up in the ring, going to have to if he wants it keep up with Kenny.

Evil Vito 11-05-2017 02:10 PM

I can understand the argument that NJPW are "pulling a WWE" by bringing in a big name from the outside to shoehorn into a match at the biggest show of the year just to try to bring in new viewers.

But bringing in new viewers is the name of the game. It's not like they've awkwardly shoehorned Jericho into Okada/Naito.

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 02:15 PM

Yeah and they've re-debuted another of their homegrown talents to challenge Tanahashi for the IC belt, which is a pretty big deal too.

I like it when WWE does bring in names as long as they have the other matches to work around it and they don't always do at Mania. Even if Jericho brings it, it still might only be the 4th best match on the card with what else they've booked.

Evil Vito 11-05-2017 02:22 PM

Exactly. They will probably get people to drop 999 just for Jericho/Omega, and all the other amazing stuff could get them to keep watching.

Evil Vito 11-05-2017 02:23 PM

I would've liked to see Omega/Ibushi as much as the next guy.....but fuck, it's Omega/Jericho! Omega/Ibushi can happen in Long Beach or something.

Ol Dirty Dastard 11-05-2017 02:27 PM

Jericho just has to brawl more than anything else. Trying to do his old schtick as a catch as catch can speed/technical guy is just going to make him look silly.

Just lay in the offence nice and snug, bump with intensity, hit the ropes hard, and keep the transitions basic and smooth. Kenny will take care of the rest.

SlickyTrickyDamon 11-05-2017 02:29 PM

He's not under a no-compete clause with WWE?

#BROKEN Hasney 11-05-2017 02:35 PM

Nope. Even his last appearance was just a contract for that night as his short term deal had expired.

XL 11-05-2017 03:00 PM

Not gonna lie, this has caught my interest.

Fignuts 11-05-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maluco (Post 5037730)
I am not saying he is wrong to make money of his name as a performer, while he can. Not at all.

WWE, however, have always frowned upon guys doing their own thing, especially in wrestling. This is putting eyes on a potential rival product, American eyes. That seems to be something that would really rattle Vince.

Given the relationship they have had recently, I can definitely see them being disappointed about it and this time they may have a valid reason to be upset with him given their relationship and freedom he was given.

I am not complaining at all though and would love a real competitor to emerge. So the more eyes on other products, for me, the better

Given how Jericho describes his relationship with vince, I doubt he didn't in him about it beforehand.

Evil Vito 11-05-2017 04:22 PM

I'm seriously so stoked for his.

Despite Jericho being my favorite wrestler ever, I can admit he hasn't had a match that felt like a classic since WM28. I loved his most recent run and that was almost entirely due to his character work. It's not like his matches during that run sucked, but it was nothing that knocked my socks off.

A motivated Jericho without the WWE shackles seriously sounds interesting. Even if this match doesn't prove to be a classic, I have no doubt these two will figure out a way to put together something fun.

Maluco 11-05-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5037874)
Given how Jericho describes his relationship with vince, I doubt he didn't in him about it beforehand.

I can't see him being given permission for something like this. Time will tell I guess, everything seems to come out eventually, but I can't see any situation in which Vince thinks this would be OK.

Simple Fan 11-05-2017 05:08 PM

Jericho has been more than a good spokesperson for WWE when he isn't around. Has even done the job for multiple talent once returning to which the company has failed to capitalize on. Funny the guy that put him over is in the best shape of the bunch.

Emperor Smeat 11-05-2017 05:15 PM

Nice. Promo was pretty good by Jericho and using the "Best in the World" moniker is a really good way to help cement Omega's greatness even more.

Helmsphere 11-05-2017 05:34 PM

I'm not going to admit, This did it's job and got me wanting to check out. I mean I've checked out a few New Japan things but never have watched it, However Jericho has got me wanting to view this.

#1-norm-fan 11-05-2017 10:32 PM

Yeah, Jericho hasn't really been all that great for years now but I think a large part of that is due to him just not really caring. I can't imagine a guy like him who grew up in the business when it was at its hottest can muster up any genuine excitement or motivation working for WWE nowadays. Guy's gotta just be collecting a check at this point.

I have a feeling that won't be a problem in this case though.

Destor 11-05-2017 10:35 PM

As always everyone's fault but the worker

Also I dropped njpw world a day before this announcement. App needs some serious work. Intended to do a month in Jan for wrestle kingdom tho

Tom Guycott 11-05-2017 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5037702)
Nice Eleven cosplay

... mouth-breather.