TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thor: Ragnorak (2017) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=131633)

XL 10-22-2017 03:41 AM

Out Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it, which is a surprise as the Thor movies have been the lower points of the MCU.

Ruien 10-22-2017 08:01 AM

Ya but this one has the Hulk.

Fignuts 10-22-2017 04:19 PM

Thought it was out Nov 3rd.

Lock Jaw 10-23-2017 12:37 AM

Probably out sooner in the UK like some movies are for some reason

Fignuts 10-23-2017 12:44 AM

UK can go to hell

Sixx 10-23-2017 01:41 AM

Ha, this is always sillyfunny to me. We get Marvel shit earlier. US gets it Nov. 3rd, we get it this Friday. No idea about the UK, but Tuesday seems like a fucked up day for a premiere.

El Vaquero de Infierno 10-23-2017 01:53 PM

Yep, out tomorrow in the UK; I'll see it on Friday.

XL 10-23-2017 02:24 PM

Very unusual to open on a Tuesday here tbf. We do usually get Marvel movies a week or so earlier, no idea why though.

Kalyx triaD 10-23-2017 06:23 PM

Saw a clip with Goldblum and he's even more playing himself than usual. Which is win.

mitchables 10-26-2017 10:20 AM

Movie was awesome. Easily the best of the Thor franchise, arguably maybe the best MCU film in general. Looks great, is hilarious, weaves in Planet Hulk and a bunch of other cool stuff. Might strike some people as maybe a touch too light but I thought it was bloody brilliant. Korg (and Miek, but mostly Korg) is a goddamn standout. Such a different characterisation but honestly he is amazing. Whole thing is just bucketloads of fun.

Rammsteinmad 10-26-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchables (Post 5032882)
arguably maybe the best MCU film in general.

I love how I hear this about pretty much every MCU film over the last couple of years! (Not being sarcastic). :D

El Vaquero de Infierno 10-27-2017 03:41 PM

Saw it today; definitely the best of the Thor films.

Swiss Ultimate 10-27-2017 04:06 PM

I'm glad. The first Thor film was such a let-down. Never saw the second.

slik 10-27-2017 09:09 PM

I am one of the few who enjoyed the first Thor film. The second one, yeah, definitely not my favorite MCU film...just a big 'miss' outside of the villain looking cool.

Glad this one is more like GOTG and getting good reviews, looking forward to seeing it when it opens in the U.S.

Sixx 10-27-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 5033815)
I am one of the few who enjoyed the first Thor film. The second one, yeah, definitely not my favorite MCU film...just a big 'miss' outside of the villain looking cool.

Glad this one is more like GOTG and getting good reviews, looking forward to seeing it when it opens in the U.S.

The hell do you mean "few"? Lots of people liked it, it made money, holds a solid 77% on Rotten Tomatoes. Could do without that fucking idiot, Kat Dennings, though.

I liked Dark World as well. It got a little less positive reviews, but positive nonetheless. And again, fuck off, Kat Dennings.

Lock Jaw 10-27-2017 10:30 PM

I liked the first Thor......

The second one is perfectly forgettable but isn't a terrible movie or anything.....

I enjoy Kat Dennings' talents.

Sixx 10-27-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 5033849)
I liked the first Thor......

The second one is perfectly forgettable but isn't a terrible movie or anything.....

I enjoy Kat Dennings' talents.

Yeah, talents.

Kalyx triaD 10-27-2017 11:16 PM

Kat's fine as fuck.

Impeccable 10-29-2017 03:43 AM

It is probably my favourite of the MCU. So many laugh out loud moments.

Cate Blanchett was also perfectly fuckable throughout. Never thought of her in that light before.

Rammsteinmad 11-02-2017 06:36 AM

Great movie! Not the best MCU one, but a hell of a lot of fun! And yeah, Korg is awesome!

Fignuts 11-03-2017 12:26 AM

Yeah, this was incredibly good.

Said before that Thor is my favorite comic book, and I'm so glad it finally got it's "winter soldier" in the MCU.

Loved the touch of Jack Kirby's art style throughout the film. I've never been able to sit down and read a lot of earlier 60's and 70's comic book books. Too campy and old fashioned for me. Thor was always the exception, and Kirby's art was a big reason. And the 80's sci fi soundtrack really compliments it well.

Hela. Holy shit, Hela. I've never seen a character I love so much knocked so far out of the park. I was 100% confident after the casting that she would be great, and it still surprised me to see how well the character was treated.

SPOILER: show

Skurge is another character they nailed perfectly. His iconic death scene was really well done too.

So many god damn ester eggs that I probably missed a few. I very much appreciate the Beta Ray Bill monument, I'll tell you that for free.

Loved that we finally get to see Thor really utilize his god of thunder powers, and I love even more that they put in the "Are you god of hammers?" line from the books.

Sixx 11-03-2017 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5036692)
Yeah, this was incredibly good.

Said before that Thor is my favorite comic book, and I'm so glad it finally got it's "winter soldier" in the MCU.

Loved the touch of Jack Kirby's art style throughout the film. I've never been able to sit down and read a lot of earlier 60's and 70's comic book books. Too campy and old fashioned for me. Thor was always the exception, and Kirby's art was a big reason. And the 80's sci fi soundtrack really compliments it well.

Hela. Holy shit, Hela. I've never seen a character I love so much knocked so far out of the park. I was 100% confident after the casting that she would be great, and it still surprised me to see how well the character was treated.

Skurge is another character they nailed perfectly. His iconic death scene was really well done too.

So many god damn ester eggs that I probably missed a few. I very much appreciate the Beta Ray Bill monument, I'll tell you that for free.

Loved that we finally get to see Thor really utilize his god of thunder powers, and I love even more that they put in the "Are you god of hammers?" line from the books.

I thought the US premiere was today.

Fignuts 11-03-2017 06:36 AM

Theater in my town premieres movies on thursdays for some reason.

GD 11-03-2017 06:39 AM

Taika Waititi is amazing! What a great watch.

slik 11-03-2017 11:09 PM

Most fun Marvel movie ever. Every character is so entertaining in it. Valkyrie might be the biggest surprise of the whole thing.

Lock Jaw 11-04-2017 05:30 PM

Just got back from it. Was enjoyable.

Was cringing and went "ugh" at the beginning of the film, but really got into it later. Good to see another MCU film where there is a "major change of consequence".... Asgard legit getting destroyed and its populace flying around in a space ship is a cool concept that really shakes things up.

Hela definitely one of the best MCU villains thus far. Liked when she was narrating her backstory over those pictures, flashed me back to LotR......

I like Cate Blanchett as a villainess I think...... I really enjoyed her in that Indiana Jones that everybody hates too.......

Destor 11-04-2017 07:50 PM

I really enjoyed this. To marry the three major plot points thats they did...so well handled. Plus the ammount of the universe theyve built on....just so well handled. Very pleased.

Fignuts 11-04-2017 09:43 PM

The only nitpick I have is that you see in the mural that Hela wielded Mjolnir before Thor, but it's not touched on at all, or even so much as mentioned anywhere else in the film. Thought that was rather odd, and it would have made more sense for Hela to take Mjolnir back rather than destroy it.

Fignuts 11-04-2017 09:46 PM

Also, the chances were slim to begin with, but the possibility of another Thor film with Gorr the God Butcher is nonexistent now. No way do they go for such a grim, serious story after the success of Ragnarok. If they make another film it will likely keep the same tone.

Destor 11-04-2017 09:47 PM

Would have played out better thematically as well, but still...nitpick for sure

Impeccable 11-05-2017 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5037424)
The only nitpick I have is that you see in the mural that Hela wielded Mjolnir before Thor, but it's not touched on at all, or even so much as mentioned anywhere else in the film. Thought that was rather odd, and it would have made more sense for Hela to take Mjolnir back rather than destroy it.

Yes, this. I missed it the first time I watched it, but I went again on Friday and spotted it and thought why would she destroy it if she wielded it? It would have had greater impact had she stolen Mjolnir away/taken it back from Thor and wielded it throughout.

Destor 11-05-2017 10:48 AM

As of this morning film is at 122 mil. Another 30mil day (likely) will take them to just 30mil shy of covering production costs (180mil.)

Marketing budget aside this will be a big earner.

Kalyx triaD 11-06-2017 10:29 PM

This movie was an acid trip.

Damian Rey 2.0 11-06-2017 10:33 PM

Good or bad acid trip, tho?

Kalyx triaD 11-06-2017 11:57 PM

Very good. The tone is not like Guardians the way I thought. Both are funny, the Guardians have character humor - silly people in serious situations. Thor 3 is movie that kind of accepts the MCU is an absurd place, with more slapstick style humor. But yeah total acid trip. Visually wild. Not on Strange's level but still wild.

Fignuts 11-06-2017 11:57 PM

Tremendous acid trip.

Going to reiterate that the soundtrack is amazing. Going to go see it again this week.

Kalyx triaD 11-07-2017 02:32 AM

If Justin Lin is still doing He-Man he needs to take notes on this.

Sixx 11-07-2017 03:46 AM

Finally got to see it. Got arrested because the drunk me decided to punch a guy during the Thor vs Hulk scene.

Sixx 11-07-2017 03:46 AM

In my defense, his laughter was so fucking stupid.

Fignuts 11-07-2017 03:52 AM

lol