TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Now that most of the "obvious" stars have moved on from NXT, who are your favorite acts? (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134085)

Anybody Thrilla 10-23-2017 12:44 PM

Now that most of the "obvious" stars have moved on from NXT, who are your favorite acts?

Shinsuke Nakamura, Bobby Roode, Asuka...just to name a few, are all of an ilk of NXT talents that seemed destined for main roster greatness from the moment they joined NXT. Now that most of those main level talent have moved on to the main roster, who are some of your favorite acts in NXT right now? Who do you think will be going up to the main roster next? Who do you think will flourish the most one day? Let's just talk NXT for a bit.

* I think Johnny Gargano could be one of the best faces ever.

* Lars Sullivan definitely has something going on that I can get behind. I still think an eventual team with him and Oney Lorcan could be amazing.

* Billie Kay and Peyton Royce could be good heels on the main roster. I think Nikki Cross has a good chance of standing out too.

* Alestair Black is ready right now.

* The Velveteen Dream is coming along nicely, but he still has a few kinks to straighten out before he becomes a star. He's kinda OVER doing it a bit, but I think he'll level out and become surprisingly solid.

Your thoughts?

Anybody Thrilla 10-23-2017 02:00 PM

Andrade "Cien" Almas is pretty amazing too.

Fignuts 10-23-2017 02:06 PM

Raul Mendoza is criminally underused.

KIRA 10-23-2017 02:10 PM

I really think heel Itami would be great set him on a path of just kicking the shit outta people and generally being a cocky dick

Both Gargano and Black have top face written all over them

Ember Moon was Asukas number 2 now she can be the woman to beat especially since storywise Asuka really had to struggle (and kinda cheat) to beat.

No way Jose.....I gotta think on that one

Evil Vito 10-23-2017 02:16 PM

I really like Ruby Riot. There was a time where I'd figure someone like her would have no chance on account of her not looking like WWE's "type" in terms of "conventional attractiveness" or whatever but now that WWE are moving past that being a prerequisite for its women's wrestlers I'm more optimistic. She's a lot of fun and should do well for herself.

Nikki Cross is pretty great too. I'd hold off on moving her up until all of Sanity are ready to make the jump because they work well as a group, but the women's division is always better off with a legit crazy person in it.

I can't say I blame Drew McIntyre for checking out during his last run with the company given how terribly he was used, but he looks genuinely motivated now. Always been a fan of his so I'm looking forward to see how he fares.

No Way Jose is just a straight up fun character who should get consistently nice reactions on whatever show he turns up on.

And yes, Johnny Gargano fucking rules. I could easily see him getting a call-up early next year and facing Enzo or whoever the Cruiserweight champ is at Mania. The Cruiserweight division is NOT the direction I want to see Johnny go in, mind....but I suspect it's what may happen. And then I guess Ciampa would rehab and come up so they can finally feud. Would rather see all of that happen in NXT.

Simple Fan 10-23-2017 02:17 PM

Don't think I've ever watched a full episode of NXT I usually just skip around to who and what I want to see. Mass exodus has happened in NXT as far as stars go and the replacements aren't as big which has been the trend after callups anyway. Been watching the Undisputed Era and that about the only thing I care about on the show. Velveteen Dream is pretty entertaining and him and Black's charaters clash well together.

Destor 10-23-2017 02:56 PM

KENTA

Emperor Smeat 10-23-2017 04:12 PM

Johnny Gargano
Aleister Black
Velveteen Dream
Peyton Royce

Once they get more tv time, Street Profits and Kairi Sane joining the list as well.

Anybody Thrilla 10-23-2017 04:28 PM

The Street Profits are fun, but the coonery is a bit much to really get behind.

Anybody Thrilla 10-23-2017 04:29 PM

I really want Dawkins to succeed, as I'm a fellow Cincinnati guy, and Montez Ford seems pretty good, but it's almost like Cryme Tyme 2.0. Like that's all black guys can be.

Mr. Nerfect 10-23-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla (Post 5031325)
I really want Dawkins to succeed, as I'm a fellow Cincinnati guy, and Montez Ford seems pretty good, but it's almost like Cryme Tyme 2.0. Like that's all black guys can be.

While I 100% agree with you, at least they've got a chance of succeeding because Vince will "get it."

Anybody Thrilla 10-23-2017 04:42 PM

Yeah, I suppose.

Mr. Nerfect 10-23-2017 04:45 PM

I'm not even trying to be overly cynical when I say that I worry about pretty much everyone in NXT getting called up. It's not a smooth transition. When it comes to the women, I want to say Nikki Cross, because she's got something interesting going on, but are Vince and Kevin Dunn going to see her and think "ugly?" Kairi Sane is going to suffer from the same thing as Asuka -- she'll be just another girl wrestling just other girls.

I think Peyton Royce and Billie Kay have got the best chances of succeeding out of the women because Vince and Dunn will want to fuck them and they're not about being booked well. They're colorful and auxiliary to whatever the main thing is.

I've always thought that No Way Jose would have a very good chance at succeeding. He's got good size, it's a pretty straightforward act and he can "get serious" when they need him to step up. Could see him in the exact same position they wanted for Mojo Rawley.

Lars Sullivan will get very over just killing bitches on SmackDown. They could probably start doing that next week.

I love Johnny Gargano, but you just know Vince will want to book him like a geek. Unless Johnny is that magical that even Vince goes "Holy shit! That's a fucking babyface!" But I am iffy on his chances, sadly.

Mr. Nerfect 10-23-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla (Post 5031328)
Yeah, I suppose.

It's miserable, please don't get me wrong. It absolutely sucks the company does that shit.

KIRA 10-23-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5031327)
While I 100% agree with you, at least they've got a chance of succeeding because Vince will "get it."

UGH:nono:(Thats directed at Vince not you)

Emperor Smeat 10-23-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla (Post 5031323)
The Street Profits are fun, but the coonery is a bit much to really get behind.

Quote:

Understand the complaints since it really is WWE's default stereotype for face black teams and guys.

Feel with more time and development, Street Profits might find their own groove or identity similar to The Usos after they turned heel.

A.J.K 10-23-2017 05:48 PM

Ruby Riot
Nikki Cross
Eric Young
Drew McIntyre
Ember Moon

Anybody Thrilla 10-23-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Smeat (Post 5031347)
Understand the complaints since it really is WWE's default stereotype for face black teams and guys.

Feel with more time and development, Street Profits might find their own groove or identity similar to The Usos after they turned heel.

Let's hope so. There's definitely some talent there.

Lock Jaw 10-23-2017 10:16 PM

Haven't watched NXT in a long while now (by which I mean sometime before the last Takeover)...... just too much TV to watch........

DAMN iNATOR 10-23-2017 10:46 PM

My thoughts

Love NXT's resident Knockout Artist.

Vastardikai 10-24-2017 12:12 AM

I seriously don't get Black.

I mean, he has a cool look and all, but once the bell rings, he's just another Indy guy.

Tom Guycott 10-24-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

Don't forget requisite rap themes. Just about every black guy needs rap in their themes. :roll:

As for Street Profits, I'm in the unenviable position of feeling the same cringing everytime I see them as I usually do whenever I see Konnan promo, yet happy that at least they're getting over pretty big. LIke, potentially marketable. Sell some fake ass Terrible Towels and Curse of Greatness headbands along with requisite shirts and they're golden. It's weird. Like, deep down, I kinda wish there was some white there. And not in the "fish out of water" negroes with a country boy way. Seems like Mojo would fit with this whole gimmick, and the "coonery" as you put it wouldn't sting nearly as much.

Jordan 10-24-2017 01:00 AM

Well I am really excited to see The Authors of Pain on the main roster, hopefully in time for Survivor Series.

As far are current NXT... well Drew Mac is the man, he should be a title contender as soon as he jumps to the main roster. No, Raw, he should get a big big push.

I am not sure that the psycho stable Eric Young has is meant for the main roster or to stay in NXT but I kinda think it deserves a shot if they can come up with a good story for them.

Tom Guycott 10-24-2017 01:10 AM

On the overall, NXT does a decent job on establishing new points of focus when the "old guard" gets called up. From Bo and Neville to the current crop. The bigger problem isn't building anyone else as people to watch, it's if the names they establish will make any sort of impact on the main roster, or if they'll be irrepairably damaged by shit booking, weak-ass storylines, or complete lack of use.

For example, Authors of Pain could go on being the "dominant monsters" like in NXT... or they can be the exact same "dominant monsters" that The Ascention are now: Fashion Files comedy fodder because the show can't be assed to do anything with them outside of occasional Main Event wastes of time. Golden boy Gargano can end up as a long-reigning NXT champ, but then turn around and get called up in the "this is all you are" purple division and barely seen or heard from in any relevant fashion again.

But there is enough talent down there to keep things interesting, if any thought is given. They built Alistair Black into a force of destruction.Drew, Roddy, Eric Young's Brigade of Crazy, Hero Ohno, that Ring of Honor trio, the Lars/Oney/Burch "love" triangle, Almas has even become tolerable trading his early Tommy Dreamer forced babyface suspenders in for his dickishness and fine-ass mouthpiece...

and that's not even touching the ladies: Nikki Cross, Daria Berenato (or whatever her fucking name is now after her trip into the WWE RNG), Athena, the Iconic lovers, Ruby Riot, and all the pickings from the tourney assure that well has been replenshed also.

TL;DR - They're not hurting for potential star power down there.

SlickyTrickyDamon 10-24-2017 01:18 AM

Turning NXT to Indy hangout was the best case scenario to keep the brand fresh. There will always be young talent looking for the exposure and the chance to make it to the WWE. Only Joey Ryan and the Bucks can be "Independent" and make decent cash.

DAMN iNATOR 10-24-2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragile X (Post 5031752)
Well I am really excited to see The Authors of Pain on the main roster, hopefully in time for Survivor Series.

As far are current NXT... well Drew Mac is the man, he should be a title contender as soon as he jumps to the main roster. No, Raw, he should get a big big push.

I am not sure that the psycho stable Eric Young has is meant for the main roster or to stay in NXT but I kinda think it deserves a shot if they can come up with a good story for them.

I love me some SAnitY. Ought to be put on SDL and build them up huge as tag title contenders against whoever the champs are, face or heel, as they seem like the kind of group that doesn't and more importantly, SHOULDN'T give a fuck about that.

DAMN iNATOR 10-24-2017 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 5031755)
Turning NXT to Indy hangout was the best case scenario to keep the brand fresh. There will always be young talent looking for the exposure and the chance to make it to the WWE. Only Joey Ryan and the Bucks can be "Independent" and make decent cash.

You had me until that last sentence. Granted I don't follow the indy circuits, and as such, don't know a lot of those big names but I'd assume there's others out there doing just fine without WWE's help other than them.

SlickyTrickyDamon 10-24-2017 02:14 AM

I think they also have to do more bookings to match the same level of money.

Danny Electric 10-24-2017 04:58 AM

When I see Lars Sullivan I just see Gene Snitsky the baby killer.

At this moment in time I'm wary about anyone coming up to the main roster, it's too crowded at the moment and there needs to be some cuts or else anyone who gets called up will just struggle with a lack of direction off creative .

But if the cuts were to happen I think the ones who will do well would be the ones with less expectation i.e. No Way Jose or The Iconic Duo. I say this cos The Drifter is doing a lot better than I thought he would after his call up.

Outsider 10-24-2017 09:47 AM

Hasn't been mentioned so far but Pete Dunne could be a big success, at least for his size. He's hampered at the moment by WWE figuring out what they want to do with the UK division but I think he could be a big success further down the line.

Has something a bit more unique in terms of the Cruiserweights. I could see him playing a something akin to a monster heel role in the Crusierweight division one day.

Jordan 10-24-2017 11:50 AM

WWE hasn't really cut any stars in a long time. Kind of odd huh?

Triple A 10-24-2017 12:38 PM

Velveteen Dream is great

Jordan 10-24-2017 01:59 PM

Sometimes when I was NXT I just turn it off... Some of the characters/workers are just bad. I was watching the episode with Drew vs Strong and I couldn't make it 10 minutes. They aired some shit interview with a female who had a really strong Bronx accent and I was just so turned off by how bad she was I couldn't continue. That was set up by a recap of Strong vs Drew and my god Roderick strong has no business near a WWE mic.

Evil Vito 10-24-2017 03:36 PM

Strong is a really good wrestler, but yeah his promo work is atrociously boring and I can't really see that ever approving at this juncture.

Mr. Nerfect 10-24-2017 04:10 PM

I watched Roderick Strong vs. Cien Almas at whatever Takeover that was. God, I'm so over everybody working that style. Strong was trying so hard to be an indy style babyface that I just hated his guts by the time it was over. I actually always wanted to like Strong from the moment I saw him get in Kurt Angle's face that SmackDown. From that experience I think he comes off like a geek.

I heard they did good videos to hype him, and I'm sure he'll be excellent in this War Games match. When left to his own devices though, I just find him, overall, incredibly boring. I think there's a place for him in a tag team, faction or as the opponent. Giving him the Cruiserweight Title to transition it onto Hideo Itami would be fine with me. But the idea of him getting a Ricky Steamboat-style push or anything makes me a bit sick, haha.

I've heard he's much better as a heel anyway.

XL 10-24-2017 04:38 PM

He should be courted by The Undisputed Era (ugh, terrible name) and eventually oust Adam Cole (not a fan) as the leader.

Mr. Nerfect 10-24-2017 04:41 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates that name. What does it even mean? Is there a disputed era?

XL 10-24-2017 04:48 PM

Part of it is just the use of the word “era”; it’s too overused. Everything has to be an era since the Attitude Era.

It’d be more palatable if it were just “Undisputed” but even then it wouldn’t really mean anything for the 3 guys in the group.

Mr. Nerfect 10-24-2017 04:59 PM

I've got very little interest in the group from the get-go, because I really don't like Kyle O'Reilly. I'll admit to not having seen much Adam Cole, but when people rave about him it kind of reminds me of Ann Veal in Arrested Development. "Him?"

XL 10-24-2017 05:08 PM

Haha. I’m right there with you.

I’d heard a lot but seen nothing of Cole but since he’s arrived I don’t see the appeal. I’m by no means a body or hoss guy but he’s so skinny - not even in a defined/cut way like a Finn Balor, he just looks like a guy off the street.