TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rate the last book you read (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=102577)

thedamndest 08-05-2010 04:06 PM

Someone recommended that to me. The Kapoutman nod seals the deal.

BigDaddyCool 08-05-2010 04:08 PM

I've been rereading the Harry Potter books. Also I've been reading trades of Y: The Last Man. Next up I believe is Lord of the Ring. But I'm open to suggestions.

Johnny McNasty 08-09-2010 01:01 AM

Just reread the Dark Tower series. Like some people say it is more enjoyable the second time around.

Thinking about rereading House of the Scorpion as it has been a while since I read it, and I noticed it collecting dust at the bottom of my bookshelf yesterday. Open for suggestion though for something new. Keep in mind that I live in a small town with a not so well stocked library.

Splaya 08-15-2010 02:21 AM

Just about to finish Under the Dome. Have really enjoyed it

Exyle 08-18-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splaya (Post 3200236)
Just about to finish Under the Dome. Have really enjoyed it

Every time I go to the bookstore, I stare longingly at Under the Dome and never pick it up. The epic scale of it makes me think it'll be like the second coming of The Stand. Was kind of waiting for it to come out in paperback because I'm a cheap bastard.

Confused 08-18-2010 01:20 PM

Reread The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. 9/10.

I've ordered the Absolute editions of Sandman by Neil Gaiman to read next.

Fignuts 08-21-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny McNasty (Post 3191650)
Just reread the Dark Tower series. Like some people say it is more enjoyable the second time around.

I'm on the second book. I absolutely love surreal stuff like this, that blurs different genres. Does it stay consistently good, throughout most of it?

There is another series of books similar to The Dark Tower, called The Dungeon. VERRRRRY obscure, but the first two books are fantastic. Problem is that each book is written by a different author, and it goes downhill fast because of it. Didn't even bother reading the 5th and 6th books.

PorkSoda 08-25-2010 09:41 PM

Chris Jericho's Auto Biography - 6/10. Kind of dragged at times.

I gave The Green Mile a shot today, and I read 50 pages and 30 of them, to me, were just filler and BS. There were times where I skipped an entire chapter because there was nothing to further the plot. Maybe I don't like reading or I was reading it at work, but it did not interest me. I'ma go watch the movie sometime. If I read the book again from the start I might have to electrocute myself.

Johnny McNasty 08-29-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 3209848)
I'm on the second book. I absolutely love surreal stuff like this, that blurs different genres. Does it stay consistently good, throughout most of it?

There is another series of books similar to The Dark Tower, called The Dungeon. VERRRRRY obscure, but the first two books are fantastic. Problem is that each book is written by a different author, and it goes downhill fast because of it. Didn't even bother reading the 5th and 6th books.

Yeah it stays consistently good for the most part. They get increasingly better up until the very last book, which tends to drag at certain points. But within the story it is understandable why King wrote it that way. The ending always gets mixed reviews. I found it bitter sweet myself, but probably more sweet than bitter.

Have you read Hearts In Atlantis or Insomnia? I would recommend reading through both of those before you get to far into the series.

I've just picked up a book of three novels in one type deal of his at the library. It includes the Shining, Salems Lot, and Carrie. Never read any of these three, but I've seen the movies at one point or the other.

mitch_h 08-30-2010 10:50 PM

Hithcock by Francois Truffaut - A series of interviews between Alfred Hitchcock and Francois Truffault, interesting seeing Hitchcock earnest and sensitive, I was expecting him to be a prick to Truffault the way John Ford was to Bondonovich. Seeing as i'm a huge Hithcock fan I enjoyed this book.

El Vaquero de Infierno 08-31-2010 06:26 AM

Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment 9/10

The Mask 08-31-2010 09:34 AM

daniel defoe - robinson crusoe 8.5/10

really loved it, the ending didn't do much for me though. it's pretty awesome that a book that is almost 300 years old can still be that amazing to me though. i suppose the fact it's about a guy stranded without the technology of the day helps keep it fairly timeless though.

Swiss Ultimate 09-05-2010 09:59 PM

Eye of the World - Book 1 of the Wheel of Time Series

5/5

It was everything I want from a book. 500+ pages, well written, interesting characters, good pacing, action...

I'm almost sad I didn't read this 10 years ago when I saw the books at the library.

El Vaquero de Infierno 09-06-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathtotheSwiss (Post 3232831)
Eye of the World - Book 1 of the Wheel of Time Series

5/5

It was everything I want from a book. 500+ pages, well written, interesting characters, good pacing, action...

I'm almost sad I didn't read this 10 years ago when I saw the books at the library.

My dad reads that series. I haven't, but when I get through my backlog I might give them a try.

Johnny McNasty 09-08-2010 06:47 PM

I've been rereading the Harry Potter series and watching the movies afterwards. Just finished Chamber of Secrets(9/10) which is definitely one of my favorites of the series, and the movie is really great.

Also read through Michael Crichton's Timeline(7/10). Not my favorite Crichton novel at all(Prey), but was overall enjoyable.

Wish the assholes who use my library would return their books on time. Have been waiting pick up a copy of Under the Dome for 2 months now. :rant:

thedamndest 09-09-2010 02:55 PM

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy - 8/10

Very good, but is the kind of book that should be read multiple times in order to really take it all in due to the writing style.

Johnny McNasty 09-09-2010 05:36 PM

I've been going through novels like crazy this last month or so. Just went and picked up World War Z and Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban. Plus I'm still working my way through The Shining. Go me!

Eklipse 09-25-2010 04:36 PM

The Regulators by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman)

Read this one after reading Desperation...
good story, but not as good as aforementioned book.
8/10

currently reading 'under the dome'....good so far.

Seth82 10-01-2010 10:41 PM

just finished an amazing memoir called Borrowed Time by Paul Monette that came out during the height of the AIDS epidemic in the late 80's

details what it was like living with AIDS in those scary times circa 1985 thru 1986 when eventually Monette's partner Roger Horwitz dies from it

I give it a 9/10

thedamndest 10-02-2010 06:27 PM

The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck - 9/10

Skippord 10-07-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedamndest (Post 3238352)
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy - 8/10

Very good, but is the kind of book that should be read multiple times in order to really take it all in due to the writing style.

is it written like his other books? Or is there something different in it?

FakeLaser 10-08-2010 12:27 AM

Reading "Amerika" by Franz Kafka right now. It is pretty good. Will get black to you when I have completed

thedamndest 10-08-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippord (Post 3273922)
is it written like his other books? Or is there something different in it?

It' similar to his other books in that punctuation is different and he will cover a lot in a few sentences. There was just a lot going on and I had to go back a few times to figure out who was talking or who somebody was.

Lui Kang 10-11-2010 04:13 PM

"Theories and Conspiracies of The Rich: The 8 New Rules of Money" ~ Robert Kiyosaki.

9.5 / 10.

Very useful and shocking information that will help anyone that is interested.

SlickyTrickyDamon 10-11-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedamndest (Post 3267780)
The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck - 9/10

They made me read that in Middle School. :| I would probably have given it negative numbers had I just read it.

Skippord 10-12-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedamndest (Post 3275308)
It' similar to his other books in that punctuation is different and he will cover a lot in a few sentences. There was just a lot going on and I had to go back a few times to figure out who was talking or who somebody was.

oh I see. I can't decide if I like or hate the punctuation in his books.

thedamndest 10-12-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 3279057)
They made me read that in Middle School. :| I would probably have given it negative numbers had I just read it.

I never had to read it in school but I would imagine I wouldn't have been into it at all at that age. I have reread a lot of books I was assigned and found them to be much more enjoyable now. I don't know if that means I had bad teachers or just wasn't "ready" for them.

Seth82 10-13-2010 08:28 PM

Currently reading the Andy Warhol Diaries

they show a daily account of his private life from 1976 til his death in 1987

Warhol was quite the interesting individual and I woulda loved partying at Studio 54 with him, Halston and Capote

8/10

MoFo 10-14-2010 10:37 AM

Has Mickey Rourke got an autobiog? If so, is it any good?

Seth82 10-22-2010 11:57 PM

just finished Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

one of the best books I've read this year and is really short so it's a quick read

Baldwin's descriptions of Paris are amazing

9/10

thedamndest 11-13-2010 04:39 PM

No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy 10/10

The movie is very close to the source so read this if you like Cormac McCarthy or liked the movie. We get a bit more insight into Chigurgh and a lot more into Sheriff Bell.

Indifferent Clox 11-13-2010 06:58 PM

Best American nonrequired reading

Seth82 11-17-2010 02:19 PM

just finished Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally

the book that inspired the movie

was a pretty good book

8/10

basically a book version of the movie but with more details and information

thedamndest 11-25-2010 10:31 AM

Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway - 7/10 - Supposed to be his comeback novel but he killed himself before it was published. It was okay. Not my favorite Hemingway at all but a fairly quick read.

Exyle 11-28-2010 06:00 PM

Under the Dome by Stephen King. Finally got through that beast, and enjoyed it from cover to cover. As I thought it might be, this was reminiscent of The Stand in its scale. I'm not sure if this is quite as good as The Stand, but it's close. Definitely a "return to form" for Stephen King even though it's not exactly horror (more like a thriller/suspense king of thing).

Anyway, highly recommended. :)

Swiss Ultimate 12-05-2010 06:50 PM

WOT: Lord of Chaos 5/5

FakeLaser 12-06-2010 09:50 PM

Forgot about this

Amerika by Franz Kafka - 6/10. I liked it a lot at first and started to fucking hate it at the end

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - 8/10. Good, not great.

FakeLaser 12-23-2010 12:57 AM

A Coney Island of The Mind - 10/10

Finally something incredible again

Fox 12-23-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FakeRazor (Post 3348025)
Forgot about this

Amerika by Franz Kafka - 6/10. I liked it a lot at first and started to fucking hate it at the end

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - 8/10. Good, not great.

:-\ I love Siddhartha. What didn't you like about it? Also, have you read any of Hesse's other works? "Narcissus and Goldmund" is amazing.

Fox 12-23-2010 01:18 PM

The Art of War by Sun Tzu: 9/10

I've heard so much about this book from tons of cultural references and what not, but when I saw it in B&N a couple weeks ago for $5 I had to pick it up. It's pretty awesome. Very simply put but ingenious. I've been trying to apply his teachings to my every day life in terms of dealing with confrontations and relationships with people, and I've actually found some of them to be very effective in a positive way.

My only complaint is that it might be TOO simply put. I thought that his methods and ideas would be delved into a bit deeper - each chapter is only 4-5 pages long.