TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The CWC Years (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134937)

LibSuperstar 05-13-2018 03:36 PM

The CWC Years

I've been on a big history kick and taken a strong interest in the Capitol Wrestling Corporation (CWC) years of WWE in the last year. The period doesn't get much coverage despite being a significant chunk of WWE's history. Hell, Toots Mondt was just acknowledged last year in the Legacy Wing of the WWE HOF. Spanning from 1952 when Jess McMahon (Vince Jr.'s grandfather) and Toots Mondt founded the company in DC to 1963 when the Thesz-Rogers NWA Title dispute led Vince Sr. and Mondt to leave the NWA and form the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) it boasts quite a few notables such as Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Dr. Jerry Graham, Bobo Brazil, Johnny Valentine and Karl Von Hess. At one point tag team wrestling dominated the territory and headlined w/ teams such as The Fabulous Kangaroos, Antonino Rocca & Miguel Pérez, Tolos Brothers, Don Curtis & Mark Lewin and The Graham Brothers. What do you guys know about this period?

Jordan 05-13-2018 03:44 PM

I don't know anything. It would be really cool if there was a doc about the era.

Fignuts 05-13-2018 03:54 PM

Vince loves him some Bobo Brazil.

LibSuperstar 05-13-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan X
I don't know anything. It would be really cool if there was a doc about the era.

Maybe put it on the Network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts
Vince loves him some Bobo Brazil.

That I didn't know.

DAMN iNATOR 05-13-2018 04:38 PM

Quick, somebody call up Gertner or Seth82. They love old-school wrasslin'! WOOOO!

Bad News Gertner 05-13-2018 06:56 PM

Lol I'll get into this when I get home.

Seth82 05-14-2018 08:29 PM

the CWC years are definitely fascinating.

so many big names that you would never think of as New York guys worked that territory.

I would be interested to see just how much footage of that time period WWE has in their vaults.

I'd love to see more of Jerry and Eddie Graham as a team. seen them cut a promo the other week on Rocca and Perez they could never do today. something about how Puerto Rico has never had the competition to produce world beating athletes. they'll be sending them to mexico in a cattle car.

Bad News Gertner 05-14-2018 09:10 PM

Seth! It's been a while.

LibSuperstar 05-14-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth82
the CWC years are definitely fascinating.

so many big names that you would never think of as New York guys worked that territory.

I would be interested to see just how much footage of that time period WWE has in their vaults.

I'd love to see more of Jerry and Eddie Graham as a team. seen them cut a promo the other week on Rocca and Perez they could never do today. something about how Puerto Rico has never had the competition to produce world beating athletes. they'll be sending them to mexico in a cattle car.

Oh yeah that might not go over well today. We see how folks reacted to what Mahal said to Nakamura. I'd also be interested to see what WWE has in the vault. The list of guys who passed through NY reads like a wrestling Who's Who. Speaking of Rocca and Pérez, did Pérez ever headline solo? I know Rocca-Pérez were a top drawing team and Rocca was also a draw singles wise but I saw Pérez ranked at #12 on the Top 50 Draws in WWE History list compiled by Meltzer some yrs back.

SlickyTrickyDamon 05-14-2018 10:48 PM

The Ever popular....

Mr. Nerfect 05-15-2018 06:17 AM

I'm glad that Seth82 made an appearance in this thread. :love:

LibSuperstar 05-16-2018 01:03 PM

Another crucial figure from the period was Willie Gilzenberg, a NJ promoter who helped Vince Sr. gain trust of the NY promoters community. He would be named President for his invaluable service when Vince Sr. and Toots Mondt formed the WWWF after breaking away from the NWA.