TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   WWE has a problem (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134029)

Destor 10-15-2017 06:32 PM

TV is def dying. I havent had cable in ages.

Destor 10-15-2017 06:34 PM

They arent competing for a 3 hour block on mondays any more. They are up against the X hours of entertainment i consume each week. In truth they are up against Orange is the New Black as much as they are RoH or what have you.

It not the same market as 20 years ago.

Mr. Nerfect 10-15-2017 06:34 PM

I've always thought that Netflix could probably get into wrestling somehow. I think they made small steps with Lucha Underground to test the waters. They also did that GLOW show. But occasionally loading up the odd New Japan show would be interesting. Netflix feel like an entity that could instantly compete with WWE, and that anything they put up is going to be more watched than any WWE PPV, for example.

Mr. Nerfect 10-15-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5027855)
They arent competing fora 3 hous block on mondays any more. They are up against the X hours of entertainment i consume each week. In truth they are up against Orange is the New Black as much as they are RoH or what have you.

It not the same market as 20 years ago.

Absolutely agree with that.

Destor 10-15-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5027856)
I've always thought that Netflix could probably get into wrestling somehow. I think they made small steps with Lucha Underground to test the waters. They also did that GLOW show. But occasionally loading up the odd New Japan show would be interesting. Netflix feel like an entity that could instantly compete with WWE, and that anything they put up is going to be more watched than any WWE PPV, for example.

Its a stronger platform than basic cable by far

Mr. Nerfect 10-15-2017 06:53 PM

I can't see Netflix getting behind a weekly television program like RAW or SmackDown, but I think that's what appealed to them about Lucha Underground. A "seasonal" structure. If I were someone like a Paul Heyman or a Billy Corgan -- just someone who thinks about wrestling all the time and where it's next evolution takes it -- I don't think of wrestling in a weekly format anymore. It's just not how people prefer to consume anymore.

Stuff like the CWC -- with a finite commitment from both the platform and the consumer -- seems like it would be a more feasible relationship.

Destor 10-15-2017 06:57 PM

Netflix has flirted with weekly content lately with the Chelsea Handler show

Mr. Nerfect 10-15-2017 07:07 PM

That's interesting. I still think wrestling would be a different thing though. The overhead, running it week-to-week. But I suppose that's how a wrestling entity still works. I could see them going "dark" for a few months a year though. The promotion would still run, but Netflix just wouldn't air it.

Destor 10-15-2017 07:10 PM

Hard to fight spoilers like that

Mr. Nerfect 10-15-2017 07:24 PM

Oh, I think it would just be hands off. You come back and maybe the Tag Titles have changed hands or something. They'd probably just go weekly. I don't know what I was thinking.