TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Coach is back in WWE (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134526)

owenbrown 01-29-2018 10:32 AM

The Coach is back in WWE

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/11...h-wwe.html?p=1

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWInsider
JONATHAN COACHMAN SIGNS WITH WWE
By Mike Johnson on 2018-01-29 10:07:00
Former WWE personality turned ESPN broadcaster Jonathan Coachman, 42 years old, has signed a deal to return to World Wrestling Entertainment, it was announced today by the company.

Coachman will return to TV tonight in Philadelphia and will be part of the Raw commentary team with Michael Cole and Corey Graves. Coachman will replace WWE Hall of Famer Booker T, who will be shifted back over to his previous role as a regular panelist on WWE Network Kickoff Shows. Booker was initially only supposed to do commentary while David Otunga was filming a role for a movie, but Otunga instead returned in a panelist role of his own.

Coachman was with WWE from 1999 through 2008, initially as an announcer before morphing into a regular on screen lackey character for Vince McMahon and Eric Bischoff, as well as an "interim" General Manager. He also worked for the company as a sideline reporter during the initial XFL season in 2001.

During his time with ESPN, which he joined in 2009, Coachman fostered a relationship between the two sides including a weekly WWE-centric segment featuring interviews with talents. Coachman was released by ESPN last year as part of their cost-cutting attempts as his contract with the cable network was not renewed.

He returned to WWE TV at the Raw 25 special last week.

#BROKEN Hasney 01-29-2018 10:34 AM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/64c3...7822/tenor.gif

Bad News Gertner 01-29-2018 10:57 AM

Love the Coach. Way better than Booker

#BROKEN Hasney 01-29-2018 11:00 AM

I don't mind Coach, he's just a bit bland. Would have preferred Da Jooce if they're sticking with 3 man booths.

Destor 01-29-2018 11:01 AM

I thought they shit canned booker mid show last night but wasnt certain

#BROKEN Hasney 01-29-2018 11:28 AM

They just replaced him with Steph as planned for the womens Rumble I thought?

Hey, maybe Booker will replace Boring Saxton.

Evil Vito 01-29-2018 11:31 AM

Or worse, Booker and Saxton will both be on SmackDown so Graves won't have to keep doing both shows.

Evil Vito 01-29-2018 11:31 AM

Nah, can't have more than one black person on the announce team.

slik 01-29-2018 11:50 AM

Booker has been awful for months.

Good call WWE.

slik 01-29-2018 11:50 AM

Booker won't be doing commentary anymore outside of Pre-Show panels and he'll be given a 'ambassador' role for the 'E.

Dark One 01-29-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 5079245)
Booker has been awful for months.

Good call WWE.

Drunk Uncle Booker and Graves/Cole enjoying commentating with him made traditionally dreadful commentary at least somewhat entertaining.

Like, WWE commentary is going to be rough no matter what because of the buzzwords-per-minute average being somewhere north of 100, so, the three dudes enjoying working together and busting each other's balls at least offers some kind of entertainment.

We'll see how their chemistry with Coach is, but I'm not hopeful.

The MAC 01-29-2018 02:01 PM

Coachman should tweet : I'm comin' for your spot nigga!

Loose Cannon 01-29-2018 03:43 PM

i didn't realize at the time how amazing Jim Ross was and how much he made the shows for me. I can't stand the commentary these days. We were spoiled for so long. Even Vince was pretty great.

slik 01-29-2018 03:59 PM

The only commentary team I like is Graves/Philips/Saxton (in WWE r/n)

I can't stand Mauro and Cole/Graves are a bit much together...will gladly give The Coach a chance.

Fignuts 01-29-2018 08:49 PM

I dont understand how booker is so bad at commentary. You listen to his podcast and hes fine. More than fine, hes enjoyable to listen to, but for whatever reason when hes on commentary, hes just this incoherent mess.

Maybe Vince is just constantly screaming at him like he did with foley and its messing him up.

Bad News Gertner 01-29-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 5079316)
The only commentary team I like is Graves/Philips/Saxton (in WWE r/n)

I can't stand Mauro and Cole/Graves are a bit much together...will gladly give The Coach a chance.

Coach is way better than Mauro

Shisen Kopf 01-30-2018 06:47 AM

Mauro sucks so much. Glad JBL ran him out of there. Bring back JBL to scare off that pussy

Bad News Gertner 01-30-2018 08:07 AM

The Coach was awesome as Bischoff 's lackey

Bad News Gertner 01-30-2018 08:09 AM

Plus he was part of the greatest segment in Raw history.

Mr. Nerfect 01-30-2018 08:55 AM

Glad they're getting Booker out of there.

Blue Demon 01-30-2018 09:22 AM

I didn't watch all of RAW, but I think Coach did a good job, and was good at the Rumble.

#BROKEN Hasney 01-30-2018 09:33 AM

Coach wasn't at the Rumble?

Simple Fan 01-30-2018 12:08 PM

Wasn't a fan of Coach's return. Booker was the best part of Raw commentary.

Blue Demon 01-30-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #BROKEN Hasney (Post 5079729)
Coach wasn't at the Rumble?

I thought he was there for a bit at least?

Mr. Nerfect 01-30-2018 01:45 PM

Always a better personality than a commentator. Still, anything's an improvement over Booker.

DAMN iNATOR 01-30-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 5079809)
Always a better personality than a commentator. Still, anything's an improvement over Booker.

http://i51.tinypic.com/142x05s.png

:shifty:

Anybody Thrilla 01-30-2018 05:57 PM

I love Booker on commentary, but I think Coach was great last night.

DAMN iNATOR 01-31-2018 02:55 AM

Yeah I hear ya @ABT. The only thing I find moderately irksome about Booker is when his voice does that thing where it gets all gravelly. I don't know if it's something he can control or not but it makes me want to just hear him in his usual tone of voice.

Coach is a nice breath of fresh air. His infusion of personality and being able to use his experience to banter and play off Graves' commentary seemed to contribute very nicely to the match calling, although I wonder how he'll try to take what Byron says and try to make his responses flow naturally from them, if that makes any sense.

Anybody Thrilla 01-31-2018 12:38 PM

I like how Coach was calling out stuff that was downright silly.

Mr. Nerfect 01-31-2018 06:06 PM

I didn't watch Raw, but I think a team of Mauro and Coach would be good. It feels like they would have "cred." Obviously it's not going to happen with Graves being Mr. WWE and Mauro being off the main roster, but they could do a special or something and make them the commentators for it.

My Final Heaven 02-03-2018 01:19 PM

Hopefully he's made some improvement in his time @ ESPN, couldn't stand him when he was tasked as a heel color guy back in the day. Run down the faces for dumb reasons, play up the heels, have an orgasm every time Edge showed up, washrinserepeat

XL 02-03-2018 03:14 PM

That’s exactly what pretty much every heel commentator has done since day one (ish).

Droford 02-03-2018 03:15 PM

Coach is also co hosting Busted open along with Bully Ray and Mark Henry

XL 02-03-2018 03:15 PM

Except [INSERT HEEL NAME HERE] instead of Edge.

Theo Dious 02-03-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Final Heaven (Post 5081363)
Hopefully he's made some improvement in his time @ ESPN, couldn't stand him when he was tasked as a heel color guy back in the day. Run down the faces for dumb reasons, play up the heels, have an orgasm every time Edge showed up, washrinserepeat

Wow you must really hate Bobby Heenan.

My Final Heaven 02-04-2018 01:20 AM

Bobby Heenan was awesome. Jesse Ventura was awesome too. Both guys were fucking pioneers. Coach's Snivelly Little Tryhard Cool Guy act just never did anything for me :-\ He's no way worst ever though, I'd take him at the commentary desk over JBL's Confrontational Dad Joke Mcmahon Mouthpiece & Mark Madden's Screaming Autist characters any day.

Anybody Thrilla 02-04-2018 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Dious (Post 5081463)
Wow you must really hate Bobby Heenan.

#perspective :y:

Anybody Thrilla 02-04-2018 03:46 AM

Maybe I'm zoning, but commentators have never really ruined anything for me. Some are definitely easier to listen to than others, but if the presentation is making me feel my own certain type of way, I don't get distracted by anyone else's thoughts. If that makes sense.

Mr. Nerfect 02-04-2018 11:35 AM

Good commentary definitely helps with my engagement. Good commentary is like a companion piece to the action you're seeing. You don't often need it, but when it's there, it helps elevate great in-ring stuff to a real emotional rollercoaster. Michael Cole, Corey Graves, Coach, Tom Phillips or Byron Saxton aren't getting that from me. And bad commentary just helps you reflect on what a bad product it is. It makes you have to do more work to understand the dramatic context of what is happening, and it often exposes the lack of context to what is happening.

It's cool you don't need it, and I can get zoning -- I have to do that with the current commentators. But I think it's just an element of professional wrestling that is lacking today, like so much of it. It's certainly a compounding issue.

The perfect representation of this is from WrestleMania 32, when Shane did his dive off the cell, and Cole is on the call: "For the love of Mankind!" Who wants that sort of cringing to be associated with a moment like that?

Anybody Thrilla 02-04-2018 11:38 AM

Yeah, good commentary is preferred. Just not a deal breaker.