TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DC Universe Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=60221)

Kalyx triaD 03-22-2007 10:06 PM

DC Universe Thread

Superman Returns Sequel:

Bryan Singer appearently has better things to do: instead of moving on to the next Superman feature, he's working on a 'thriller' with Tom Cruise starring. Odd, he seemed so down with Supe's that I thought he'd start out on the next one atleast at a pace faster than the gap between X1 and X2. It must be noted that Singer has a history of finding better things to do. There were rumors that the next Superman would be shelved and JLA (see below) would kick a kick-start early with Brandon Routh starring. Those rumors were quickly dissolved with the powers to be saying the next Superman (rumored to called "Man of Steel") is going just fine, with Metallo and Brainiac as possible villains. The gun-turrent dude from 'Returns (Eye-of-Steel scene) may even have been John Corben...

Kate Bosworth may not return.

Batman Begins Sequel:

Most of us are pretty much up to speed here: The movie will be called "The Dark Knight" with the most talked about news being Jokers inclusion as the central villain. Joker ofcourse is being bought to us by Heath Ledger with a darker edge about the character than the stuff we've already seen. The movie should begin production right about now, with a release next Summer. The batsuit will be updated for anyone who cares, with an emphasis on 'cloth'. There's also talk of a Bat-Cycle, too. Cool. The theme of 'Begins was fear, and the theme for Dark Knight may be "things getting worse before they get better." They say the title also also has multiple meanings. Could Gotham City suffer some kind of mass blackout while the Joker goes on a killing spree? Note that many of Joker's earlier comic exploits usually had him pulling some city-wide crisis that Batman had to work double-time to fix. Also in the movie is Harvey Dent played by Aaron Eckhart. His inclusion reveals the villain for Batman's third feature.

Katie Holmes will not return. She's been replaced by Captain Marvel's sister, Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Captain Marvel:

SHAZAAM!!! And with a blast of thunder, Jake Gyllenhaal (Day After Tommorrow) is most surely, very likely, gonna maybe portray Captain Marvel (one of the few characters who could beat Superman's ass without Krrrryptonite). I'm kinda definately sure of the possibility of his consideration.

Flash:

Ryan Renalds is up for the part as Wally West. For the most part I agree with this casting. They're talking about getting into the science of super-sonic speed rather than 'him running really fast'.

Wonder Woman:

Joss Whedon dropped out of the project, which disappoints me to no end. There's also talk of setting it in WW2's era. This may have been in the old comics but really... c'mon...

JLA:

Okay... WB really wants to get this thing going, abondoning their old plan of having 'the big three' set their movie franchises first then teaming them up (would've took too long anyway). I'm sure Marvel pressing for their Avengers feature has a little to do with that. Brandon Routh is definately heading up this one, but Christian Bale didn't seem likely to appear as the Bat because A) the current Batman creative team doesn't wish to merge their darker realistic Batman with a likely bright-n-epic team-up feature and B) JLA is moving on faster than the new Batman franchise can catch up with. Still, Christian Bale has said that he signed to three contracts with the last one being "some sort've team-up." It appears Batman will be on the team afterall (thank GOD). I wonder if Wonder Woman will make the team, her franchise being on the fritz. I also wonder what other heroes will make the team...

So what do you guys think? Exciting couple of years ahead?

mitchables 03-22-2007 10:12 PM

Cannot wait for The Dark Knight. Flash interests me greatly too, as I've always loved the Flash. Can take or leave Wonder Woman, especially now that Whedon is out. Captain Marvel sounds interesting. I never particularly cared for the character before, but the recent Trials of Shazam series has sparked a bit of interest for me, so maybe I can learn to love it.

Bo 03-22-2007 10:57 PM

Well the next Batman being the Dark Knight , I just hope it leads to a Dark Knight Returns movie. :drool:

Kalyx triaD 03-22-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo
Well the next Batman being the Dark Knight , I just hope it leads to a Dark Knight Returns movie. :drool:

Unlikely. Any kind of Elseworlds story would be hard to adapt into a film without damaging live-action continuity.

Lock Jaw 03-22-2007 11:36 PM

Dark Knight Returns is probably a good candidate for one of DC's animated movies.

Speaking of which, Adam Baldwin (Jayne from Firefly) is gonna be voicing Superman in The Death of Superman movie.

Boondock Saint 03-22-2007 11:39 PM

I highly doubt we see a JLA movie anytime within the next few years.

weather vane 03-23-2007 12:27 AM

where is Lobo?

Lock Jaw 03-23-2007 01:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ooZYjF0mI

Kane Knight 03-23-2007 01:12 PM

Adam Baldwin as the voice of Supers? :wtf:

Boondock Saint 03-23-2007 02:31 PM

Natural choice.

:shifty:

Kalyx triaD 03-23-2007 07:56 PM

I am the Shadow...

Kane Knight 03-23-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Natural choice.

:shifty:

He's up there with Eddie Izzard as Thord. :D

Dave Youell 03-25-2007 04:41 PM

Ryan Reynolds for the Flash is a great casting choice, Man I used to love The Flash

Kalyx triaD 04-10-2007 03:00 PM

Super Max:

Here's an interesting one: David Goyer (Batman Begins) and another writer (Justin Marx) are planning on a Super-Hero movie not unlike the premise of Con-Air. Essentially it's a Green Arrow movie that'll feature low-level DC villains in a max-security prison. Oliver Queen gets convicted and thrown in a spot he help populate. Can we hope for Slade/Deathstroke to appear? What I like about this idea is somebody is doing something more along the lines of comics than superhero-features. Comics are often home to absurd situations that normally would never see the light of Live Action. Maybe this project will convince movie makers that superheroes are more than Origin Story, Sequel to Origin Story...

Late Edit: Super Max could've been a Marvel Comics tale...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goyer
The basic concept actually came about through Justin Marks, a terrific young writer my wife Jessika (a producer) had previously worked with. They thought the idea of a prison-break story set in a jail designed exclusively for super-villains was a cool one. And I heartily agreed. After some discussion, we decided it would be fun to frame a super-hero and toss him into the meta-human mix.

From that point, it seemed like the next logical step was to set the film in either the Marvel or DC Universe. That way, we could populate the movie with all sorts of cool B and C-character Easter Eggs. We eventually landed at DC. Green Arrow, given his hard-hitting, moralistic tendencies, seemed like the most interesting hero to put through the institutional wringer.

Boondock Saint 04-10-2007 03:07 PM

That's a cool idea. Green Arrow is the man.

Dave Youell 04-16-2007 09:02 AM

Surprised there's no Green Lantern rumblings

Kalyx triaD 04-16-2007 06:22 PM

I'm certain one of the GL's will appear in JLA. I rather see a GL Corps movie, m'self. It'd be something like Star Wars with a DC spin.

Lock Jaw 04-30-2007 04:41 PM

Superman/Doomsday trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eTf-VzgAWaE

Supposedly these new animated movies were supposed to be based on the look and art of the comics from which they are based. But the animation looks just like Justice League Unlimited, with a few changes (Lois looks slightly different).

Looks like the story is gonna be radically changed too. Aside from Superman and Doomsday fight and "kill" each other.

On the other hand, based solely on that little line Superman says at the end, The Man Called Jayne is gonna do a good job voicing him.

Kalyx triaD 04-30-2007 10:19 PM

Looks nice.

Shaggy 04-30-2007 11:09 PM

looks awesome....cant wait...heard it was still like four months away

Mr Regal 05-01-2007 06:17 AM

I have never been a big Superman fan really. He was always too much of a pansy. Should be wiping enemies out left right and center with his powers. I prefered the superman from the Justice Lords:y: even though technically i guess he was a villan....

Avenger 05-01-2007 06:19 AM

Can't WAIT for next live action Superman movie.

Mr Regal 05-01-2007 07:08 AM

I can, the last one was a bit shit really.

Kane Knight 05-01-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Regal
I can, the last one was a bit shit really.

It was 2 hours too long, but they only had 35 minutes of plot.

Superman's so hard to write. He's an uncompromising Knight in Shining Armor who also has only one physical weakness. I mean, it's fine seeing the damsel in distress, but it gets old.

Jeritron 05-01-2007 09:17 AM

Especially since Superman doesn't have a really strong, recognizable villian to compiment him. Lex Luthors plots get old and he's not on Superman's level. That's why Batman and Spiderman have a lot more to offer as a film franchise, because they have a strong, deep rouges gallery.

Mr Regal 05-01-2007 09:36 AM

I was hoping the film would have a villan like Doomsday or DarkSide, not Lex Fucking Luthor AGAIN. The whole thing bored the shit out of me. The most intriguing part of the story was the fact that he had buggered off across the universe for two years looking for home....and the best they came up with?....he didn't find anything.....wow....way to go:y: I also hated the whole son of superman, that sucked. The film was well put together and i really rate Singer, but Superman Returns was a wasted opportunity of the highest order.

If the do make another one it better not have Lex Fucking Luthor in it AGAIN.

Avenger 05-01-2007 09:39 AM

lol KK @ what you just did.

Kane Knight 05-01-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeritron
Especially since Superman doesn't have a really strong, recognizable villian to compiment him. Lex Luthors plots get old and he's not on Superman's level. That's why Batman and Spiderman have a lot more to offer as a film franchise, because they have a strong, deep rouges gallery.

Yeah, plus, Spider-Man's morality works better. IT's easy to be high and mighty when you're invincible. Superman's moral issues are about as solid as a dozen eggs....

Batman can chew hrough mooks, but always looks comparable to his bad guys. Hell, Bats and Spidey LOSE at points. Superman dies, once...And that's the most tension he's ever experienced.

Boondock Saint 05-01-2007 08:04 PM

Darkseid motherfuckers.

Nowhere Man 05-01-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane Knight
Batman can chew hrough mooks, but always looks comparable to his bad guys. Hell, Bats and Spidey LOSE at points. Superman dies, once...And that's the most tension he's ever experienced.

Aside from the time he was driven insane by Brainiac, gave up his role as a hero after being forced to kill General Zod (though I think both of those stories have now been retconned out), was manipulated by Max Lord into nearly killing both Batman and Wonder Woman, lost three different Supergirls in one way or another (one of which had claimed to be his daughter), had his protege beaten to death by a psychotic version of himself from another universe, and has to deal with the fact that his best friend from childhood is now his sworn enemy (depending on which origin story they use) then yeah, Superman's life is right as rain.

Kalyx triaD 05-01-2007 10:01 PM

I'd still say Peter Parker had the shittiest life. But yeah, Supes had some messed up events. And Batman's a maniac who needed a creation of his to kill hundreds of low-level heroes and assist an alternate Luther even crazier than ours in killing billions(!) to let him know that he is in fact, a maniac.

Jeritron 05-01-2007 10:44 PM

Superman is adored and praised. Spiderman is misunderstood and hated, and Peter Parker lives a poor life with all kinds of problems stemming from his duties as a superhero. He has human problems and human weaknesses. Everything is hard for him, but he can't use it as an excuse since he's juggling two seperate lives.

If Parker needs a gift for Mary Jane he can't just zip around the world and get her something from Italy, he has to scrounge up 5 dollars in change and probably never makes it to her apartment without having to answere the call of justice. Or when he's having problems he can't just sit down with his Aunt Mae and vent, or fly to Antartica to chill in his private condo made of crystals with a fully interactive Uncle Ben. He has the same stress, even more, than any normal person. That's what makes him a deeper character, and more identifiable with an audience. His vulnerabilities make him human, and they allow for him to have a range of emotions and weaknesses for his enemies to compare to.

Superman's enemies have to be pure Gods to stack up to him, and that's just no fun. No Superman enemy has what it takes to compliment. Superman runs off of the nostalgia and recognition of his logo, and the fact that he's the original end all be all of superheroes. That's the only reason he's still cookin. People look at him as an Alpha Male hero from heaven, whereas people look at Peter Parker as the person in all of us. People look up to Superman as the perfect person, the flawless hero. People indentify with Parker as the average Joe.
That's why Superman's villians just don't stack up. They're nothing. Lex Luthor is the best the franchise has to offer, and he's just a rich tycoon who doesn't compliment Superman well at all really.
Batman has the Joker and Penguin, and Spiderman has Green Goblin and Venom. They're all almost as deep, interesting and well known as their hero foes.

Kane Knight 05-01-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Aside from the time he was driven insane by Brainiac, gave up his role as a hero after being forced to kill General Zod (though I think both of those stories have now been retconned out), was manipulated by Max Lord into nearly killing both Batman and Wonder Woman, lost three different Supergirls in one way or another (one of which had claimed to be his daughter), had his protege beaten to death by a psychotic version of himself from another universe, and has to deal with the fact that his best friend from childhood is now his sworn enemy (depending on which origin story they use) then yeah, Superman's life is right as rain.

Okay, fanboy...Settle down there.

Jeritron 05-01-2007 10:47 PM

Just picture Superman being faced with having to deliver the pizzas within 5 minutes or being fired. It was interesting with Spidey, because you knew he could probably pull it off just barely with his speed and tools, but it would be hard. With Superlame, he just zips there, changes and delivers the pizza's with a smile and keeps his job. Where's the fun it that?

Jeritron 05-01-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

rofl. I feel so bad for Superman, he's got it so rough. Being able to take bullets to the eybeball and fly to the sun and all...

Boondock Saint 05-01-2007 11:39 PM

Venom is not a deep character.

Boondock Saint 05-01-2007 11:45 PM

Anyways I love Superman and Spider-Man, each for different reasons. They're both entertaining characters, responsible for some of the best stories ever. 'Nuff said.

The Punisher kicks everyones ass. :cool:

Jeritron 05-02-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Venom is not a deep character.

Unless you're familiar with Eddie Brock and his girlfriend, and the duality theme that he represents with Spiderman

Boondock Saint 05-02-2007 12:35 AM

:roll:

Nowhere Man 05-02-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Hey, I might as well pull from the source material if I know it.

Anyway, one of the things that always irks me when people bring up the old "Superman is boring because he's too strong" is that more often than not, they've never picked up a Superman comic, and base their arguments off of the popular image of him from either the Christopher Reeve movies or that awful 'Superfriends' cartoon.

Quote:

Anyways I love Superman and Spider-Man, each for different reasons. They're both entertaining characters, responsible for some of the best stories ever. 'Nuff said.

Agreed.

Quote:

The Punisher kicks everyones ass. :cool:

Not so much.