TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sea of Thieves (PC/XB1) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=129790)

#BROKEN Hasney 06-15-2015 01:45 PM

Sea of Thieves (PC/XB1)

Was announced on the MS conference, looked fantastic. Will update with a trailer when it's about, but it's a multiplayer pirate crew simulator made by Rare.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yRVR-Y__bmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#BROKEN Hasney 06-15-2015 01:57 PM

Trailer is in

Kalyx triaD 06-15-2015 02:16 PM

YAS

road doggy dogg 06-15-2015 02:19 PM

pirate anything is awesome

looks so win

Kalyx triaD 06-15-2015 03:56 PM

YAR MATEYS

WHO WISHES TO SAIL WIT ME CREW?!

#BROKEN Hasney 07-30-2016 08:39 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZAIhlMH4ztY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gameplay starts about 5:15

So it's PC cross play/buy and all that shit, so I'm in with you console people for this.

El Capitano Gatisto 07-30-2016 10:30 AM

I fucking loved Pirates! way back in the early 90s. If this gives a similar sort of experience, I'm in.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-19-2017 02:27 PM

Hey, this is $39.99 CAD at amazon.ca. This might be a cheaper game too.

#BROKEN Hasney 06-19-2017 02:28 PM

Also, damn glowing impressions

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N6jgV60SkQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alvarado52 01-26-2018 08:38 PM

Really wish I had beta access :\

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHeJE5MgySg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disturbed316 01-29-2018 02:13 AM

Is this only first person view?

Kalyx triaD 01-29-2018 06:06 AM

Yep.

Tom Guycott 03-06-2018 12:39 AM

After screwing around in the beta, this is a must-purchase for me. Feels like a good waste of time, even after being shark food or being gang raped by 5 skeletons while my random crewmates bravely ran away.

Tom Guycott 03-20-2018 10:48 PM

On one hand, there's something to be said about "no hand holding". On the other, I had to figure out my first merchant mission with little explanation (aside from one little window with text that was too small to see on my TV across the living room, but that's more endemic of modern gaming than any game in particular - there should be an option to enlarge that shit as opposed to assume everyone has a 108 inch TV or a gaming monitor that sits two feet away from our faces). If I hadn't played the beta, I wouldn't have understood the basics to even slowly grasp what all I needed to accomplish for my chicken delivery.

And some bastard sank my boat while I was finally finalizing said chicken delivery, and go back to where I dropped anchor to see what I initially thought was my stolen ship rapidly sailing away from a floating mess of supply barrels and a plume of green smoke from the mermaid.

Solo isn't the way.

Fignuts 03-21-2018 07:26 AM

Hearing this doesn't have a lot of content for a 60 dollar game.

#BROKEN Hasney 03-21-2018 02:23 PM

Its a fun sandbox. It has plenty of content for an XBox Game Pass game.

Ruien 03-21-2018 07:25 PM

Ya, was going to say just get XBox Game Pass.

alvarado52 03-22-2018 10:13 PM

I think I'm gonna do the game pass free trial so I can check this out. Is it cross platform with pc?

Fignuts 03-26-2018 03:05 AM

Vomit everywhere. Just, everywhere.

Fignuts 03-28-2018 01:22 AM

If it weren't for the people I was playing with, I would feel ripped off, even having only bought the 10 dollar game pass.

There is almost no game here.

Heisenberg 03-28-2018 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5098570)
Vomit everywhere. Just, everywhere.

Sorry bout that

Heisenberg 04-02-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Guycott (Post 5097428)
On one hand, there's something to be said about "no hand holding". On the other, I had to figure out my first merchant mission with little explanation (aside from one little window with text that was too small to see on my TV across the living room, but that's more endemic of modern gaming than any game in particular - there should be an option to enlarge that shit as opposed to assume everyone has a 108 inch TV or a gaming monitor that sits two feet away from our faces). If I hadn't played the beta, I wouldn't have understood the basics to even slowly grasp what all I needed to accomplish for my chicken delivery.

And some bastard sank my boat while I was finally finalizing said chicken delivery, and go back to where I dropped anchor to see what I initially thought was my stolen ship rapidly sailing away from a floating mess of supply barrels and a plume of green smoke from the mermaid.

Solo isn't the way.

Solo is the only way when you experience terrible crewship. It's damn near impossible to coordinate turning in treasure and even getting the ship off when someone is grieving you by dropping anchor randomly and ramming into islands on purpose.

Tom Guycott 04-03-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5099488)
If it weren't for the people I was playing with, I would feel ripped off, even having only bought the 10 dollar game pass.

There is almost no game here.

I get why a lot of folks feel that way. I, on the other hand, don't feel ripped off. Partially because I really didn't get on the hype train about it. I played the beta, enjoyed it for what it was, and said "You know what, I dig this. I'm gonna buy it."

Also, another problem most folks seem to have is they get a thing, then voraciously tear into it until they do and see everything there is to see and do inside of 72 hours by playing nonstop, and then bitch about not having anything else to do. I feel like this is a game that is supposed to be played in small portions with a crew you trust. I've been mostly happy with my experience so far, but I'm not playing it all day everyday either.

In fact, all of the shitty stuff has more to do with Microsoft/XBOX than the gameplay itself. Aside from the aforementioned small text, I was running a sloat with my cousin, and I got the dreaded "IT'S TIME FOR AN UPDATE!" bullshit. So, I got punted (though, for about 35% of the update, I was still in the party chat. Weird, but good since I was able to relay what happened.) The game apparently took that as me quitting, so it shoved in a rando on his ship. I didn't get any credit for the shit they finished in my absence, and, even though it was my cousin's game, he couldn't boot the random and re-invite me. The guy had to leave on his own voliton to open the slot for my return.

Also, the acheivement tracking seemes to be a bit sketchy. There's shit I did on my first play of the game that I didn't get credit for until I did it again at a later time. There are things that I did and my cousin did, and we both got separate achievements; neither of which were for the same thing.

It'll be nice to get more stuff later. That's all well and good. But I don't feel all Angry Joe or SidAlpha about it.

Heisenberg 04-03-2018 03:12 PM

Fig, I found out how our ship magically sank, whoever was on the ship while we were doing all the work shot the powder keg and let the damn thing sink.

Tom Guycott 04-04-2018 01:51 AM

... thus your advocacy for solo play, I take it?

Fignuts 04-04-2018 07:30 AM

I doubt berg advocates solo play. Our crew has bonded too much over vomit and hull breaches to ever mutiny.

Someone I met while playing overwatch told me the game really starts after hitting level 50, and you can get better cannons and other stuff that goes beyond just cosmetics.

Dude sounded like a douchebag though so who knows.

Heisenberg 04-06-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Guycott (Post 5101557)
... thus your advocacy for solo play, I take it?

Depends on how busy the seas are, you can get away with being solo if you're in friendly waters. I made it 30 minutes once before I was hit with a carribean RKO and forced to watch my sloop hit the poop.

Heisenberg 04-06-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5101572)
I doubt berg advocates solo play. Our crew has bonded too much over vomit and hull breaches to ever mutiny.

Someone I met while playing overwatch told me the game really starts after hitting level 50, and you can get better cannons and other stuff that goes beyond just cosmetics.

Dude sounded like a douchebag though so who knows.

farthest I've gotten is level 15 with the skull or treasure person

Tom Guycott 04-11-2018 01:46 AM

Actually ran a 4 man galleon today for the first time since the beta.

So used to the sloop now that the damn thing was a hinderance. Seems like it should allow for an 8 man crew, and sloops should allow for more than a proper two (I say "proper" because we ran into someone who was likely in a party chat with two small crews as they were running with a four man sloop). We also kept running into some asshole (different 2 man crew) who apparently did nothing but ride around and stock up on powder kegs to have one guy steer and the other guy suicide bomb other ships.

A minimap, or at least a farther "sight" distance to crewmates would be a help. Also ditching that line o' sight shit. Not being able to help a teammate I could damn near spit on because I couldn't see him because he's standing on the other side of a tree that stopped his name from appearing isn't fun.

Still having lag issues with achievements popping either long amounts of time after the thing happened (10-20 minutes on average), or not popping at all until I do whatever it is again on a subsequent playthrough.

Helmsphere 04-11-2018 07:04 PM

I've been running a two man sloop. Actually got caught in a war between two Galleons the other night. So I did what any respectable person would do. Circle them while firing from the outside.

Tom Guycott 04-18-2018 01:10 AM

Got my first message in a bottle that WASN'T a skeleton bounty. Kinda cool treasure hunt with having to unlock each stage of the riddle to get to the chest. Had a side effect of finding a second random chest as well, as I walked the wrong way solving the last clue.