TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dark Souls (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=115815)

El Capitano Gatisto 05-24-2012 03:21 AM

Have you not been using transient curses? They do not half your HP, they last 5 mins or so and they are fairly easy to pick up.

RoXer 05-24-2012 04:06 AM

No, I havent even bothered because I thought they halved your HP. I will do that now since I have like 20 of them.

RoXer 05-24-2012 04:20 AM

Hey ECG,

Reqiuem and I downloaded a guide that says leveling up to +2 in the Sisters of Chaos covenant is extremely important as it opens up a crucial shortcut near the end of the game.

How important is this shortcut? How easy is it to level up her covenant?

El Capitano Gatisto 05-24-2012 06:58 AM

It's not hugely important, but it's helpful. Whether you open it or not also affects Knight Solaire's story arc and subsequently whether he's still around to help you with the final boss, should you wish to summon him. You need to offer 30 humanity to the Daughter of Chaos to be able to open it, so how easy that is depends on how you're farming humanity. I usually do it as soon as I get to her bonfire first time round, when I have 20 something humanity from the start of the game (to ringing the second bell) so it doesn't take very long. You also get a couple of strong pyromancy spells when you do all this.

Kris P Lettus 05-24-2012 05:48 PM

I'm at like level 6 but still haven't gotten a sword (that's not broken) or a shield..

El Capitano Gatisto 05-29-2012 07:30 PM

I just spent a couple of hours playing tonight being a complete dick. I have worked a Faith build up to level 91 and have all the best miracles. In this runthrough I also joined the Darkwraith covenant and got the Red Eye stone so I can invade as a red phantom at will when in human form. Funnily enough the miracles make for the most effective wanker tactics in the game. Tranquil Walk of Peace is a bastard, it slows people down (some miracle the giant stone knights in the forest cast) and Wrath of God and Emit Force do shitloads of damage. Wrath of God is bordering on the cheating actually.

But anyway, I had my fun.

RoXer 05-29-2012 07:32 PM

I am in the crystal caves and I want to play some more but decide not to. Maybe tomorrow.

Around level 106 I think. Dunno if I should go past 120 or not. I think I will.

Taker it Easy 05-30-2012 08:15 PM

I am in the 60's and just finished the Cystal Caves. Been having a harder time finding co-op. Also have been reworking my character towards a better str build. Doing Dark Knight Great Axe and sometimes Zweihander.

RoXer 05-30-2012 09:14 PM

I spent too long trying to hack off Seath's tail. Finally figured out what I was doing wrong and had to focus my attention on the tip, not the base. Wonderful advice.

But then I finally got it and then almost killed him but I did something stupid and died so that's where I'm at. He's not much of a problem now that I have the sword he dropped. Which isn't even that great but I still wanted it.

I kept dropping souls in his area and picking them up. When I realized I had 105,000 souls from doing this I figured now would be a good time to use a homeward bone and level up.

Requiem 05-30-2012 09:52 PM

Original character was level 58, Anor Londo, 164 hours 26 minutes (probably a good 50-ish idle hours)

On my 2nd character, my save file reads - Level 45, Anor Londo, 13 hours 26 minutes.

Suck it Dark Souls! Amazing what prior knowledge will do for going through this game. It's all just one big learning curve.

El Capitano Gatisto 05-31-2012 07:01 AM

I just invaded a load of people again last time. I've become fixated on being a prick.

I miss Demon Souls a little bit, I feel like I want to start playing it again. I wonder if the servers are still online.

Requiem 05-31-2012 11:28 AM

Yesssssssss, Dark Souls is coming to Steam when it hits PC in August.

RoXer 05-31-2012 01:51 PM

I've just beaten Seath. I have a quiestion about NG+. I have:

63 Titanite Shard
7 Large Titanite Shard
15 Titanite Chunk
2 Green Titanite Shard
20 Blue Titanite Chunk
1 Blue Titanite Slab
4 Red Titanite Chunk
2 White Titanite Chunk
32 Twinkling Titanite
8 Demon Titanite
10 Dragon Scales

If I start NG+, do I keep all of those? If not than obviously I'm going to have to use them before I finish the game. I would hate to save them and then start an NG+ to find they're all gone.

I haven't used much because I haven't really had the need to. Yet. All of my armor and my weapons do a pretty decent job. Once things start to get hairy is when I'll look into using them but right now they just sit in my inventory.

El Capitano Gatisto 05-31-2012 02:04 PM

You keep everything.

RoXer 05-31-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3875541)
Yesssssssss, Dark Souls is coming to Steam when it hits PC in August.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVKfAW1dEbs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVKfAW1dEbs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

RoXer 05-31-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto (Post 3875743)
You keep everything.

Yeah I looked in the guide seconds after I posted that. Keep everything but embers, keys, unique lord souls and a few other special items you need to obtain by progressing a certain way through.

Speaking of lord souls, I should probably look into making those rare weapons.

When I first started, I thought it was ridiculous to even try to go 1000/1000 in this game (platinum trophy for PS3). Now I'm starting to consider it.

Taker it Easy 06-01-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto (Post 3875390)
I just invaded a load of people again last time. I've become fixated on being a prick.

I miss Demon Souls a little bit, I feel like I want to start playing it again. I wonder if the servers are still online.

Yes, I read on reddit that the servers are still up. They were due to be closed nearly immediately yet I think due to the community response that date was removed and Demon Souls servers will stay active.

Can you tell me a bit about Demon Souls? I have not played it. Just fell in love with Dark Souls. It seems like something I might want to go back and play, what do you think?

El Capitano Gatisto 06-01-2012 05:54 PM

It has similar game mechanics obviously but is definitely worth playing. I think it's probably the better game but that could be the influence of coming to it cold originally and being scared shitless as I played it. The atmosphere of it is fantastic. There's a limit on how much you can carry, as well as an equip burden, which affects strategy a fair bit, plus the game is split into discrete areas with individual stages (that can be replayed over and over even after the boss dies) that you warp to from a central safe area, rather than a continuous map as in Dark Souls.

Requiem 06-01-2012 06:03 PM

Hope that this game series proves to developers that there is a market for difficult games. In US and Europe, Dark Souls topped 1.1 million sales as of May 8th of this year. That's not groundbreaking by any means, but I'm sure the studio is enjoying the profits. It's a concept that will probably never be mainstream, but it would be nice for other companies to not shy away from making challenging and deep games.

RP 06-02-2012 03:30 AM

Might look into this game, but I have like three games to finish right now.

RoXer 06-02-2012 03:45 AM

Don't

RP 06-02-2012 04:03 AM

Don't?

RoXer 06-02-2012 04:10 AM

You can't hack it

RP 06-02-2012 04:26 AM

Eat dik

Sepholio 06-02-2012 11:54 AM

Is this game as good as Demon's Souls was? If so I think I will finally go get it. Demon's Souls took me a dickyear to finally overcome. One of the biggest moments of accomplishment I have ever felt in my life.

Requiem 06-02-2012 12:06 PM

Having never played Demon Souls, I can say that Dark Souls is pretty fucking incredible.

El Capitano Gatisto 06-02-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph (Post 3877767)
Is this game as good as Demon's Souls was? If so I think I will finally go get it. Demon's Souls took me a dickyear to finally overcome. One of the biggest moments of accomplishment I have ever felt in my life.

It's similar but different, as I said up there. I probably think of Demon Souls more fondly for many reasons but a major one might be because the experience was so novel, but this still a great game. Getting Dark Souls is a no-brainer if you loved Demon Souls.

Sepholio 06-02-2012 12:26 PM

Thank you kind sirs. I'll pick this up when I go in to grab The Last Story in a couple weeks.

RoXer 06-02-2012 04:34 PM

ugh. Lost 60,000 souls in the Tomb of the Giants. The guide clearly says "Hey, after you defeat Pinwheel you should probably just homeward bone back to the bonfire and level up because you will most likely die if you go any further" but I figured I knew what I was doing and decided to risk it.

Fell down, survived, got gang raped by giant skeletons, died. Went to retrieve souls, took a different path, took a wrong step, died.

El Fangel 06-02-2012 04:39 PM

I am going to go play this a little, keep an eye on the news for rampages in Nova Scotia.

El Capitano Gatisto 06-02-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoXer (Post 3878140)
ugh. Lost 60,000 souls in the Tomb of the Giants. The guide clearly says "Hey, after you defeat Pinwheel you should probably just homeward bone back to the bonfire and level up because you will most likely die if you go any further" but I figured I knew what I was doing and decided to risk it.

Fell down, survived, got gang raped by giant skeletons, died. Went to retrieve souls, took a different path, took a wrong step, died.

A bastard of a level. I hate it, it and Blighttown are the fucking pits. You need the Sunlight Maggot to make things a little less frustrating. Fire weapons make short work of the skeletons, you should have unlocked the blacksmith who upgrades fire weapons on the way to Pinwheel.

El Fangel 06-02-2012 05:03 PM

Of for the love of fuck, died and then had to go past the bridge with the drake, he knocked me down with flames just before I got in the door. :mad:

RoXer 06-02-2012 05:42 PM

Layed down my summon sign at the bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants and helped some guy with just about everything. We beat Gravelord Nito which I think he needed my help with. Seems like it may be a hassle doing it by yourself so I'll have to summon someone. Good to know.

Requiem 06-02-2012 06:06 PM

Level 50 now, found out the blacksmith sells an unlimited # (I think?) of titanite shards and large titanite. So I just went nuts and started grinding souls and buying shards. Got a +2 Lightning Uchi now, a +5 Ricard's that I'm working on (even though it's not the most rape weapon, I just love the rapiers so I wanted to give it a go and make it a fire rapier) +5 eagle shield. Think he sells twinkling too (I forget) so I'm gonna grind for some of those and start upgrading the armor I have on.

Was something we never really got to do on the last character because we wasted a lot of our shards on stupid things, and we focused solely on weapons and didn't upgrade our armor at all. It is really stupid easy to grind in Anor Londo. Giants give 1500 souls a pop, can kill them in like 30 seconds or less. Found out the giants inside the cathedral drop chunks, so I'm also gonna go human and use that item finding ring to see if I can get a bunch to max out my Uchi.

Dunno what it is, but this playthrough has gone incredibly smooth. 15.5 hours on file now and just tearing it up.

Might use this time to try out multiplayer finally too. RoXer was saying how fun it is so I might just drop a sign and see what happens.

El Capitano Gatisto 06-02-2012 06:27 PM

I've got 3 games, level 98 (Faith-based), 95 (Magic-based) and 100 (Strength-based) on the go. All around 25 hours each. I'm on NG+ in the Strength build, and I've only got the last boss to defeat in the Magic one but I'm holding off so I can invade a few people. Same with the Faith build although I still have Bed of Chaos to beat and Ash Lake to clear but I'm having a whale of a time invading people has a black phantom.

RoXer 06-04-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoXer (Post 3878206)
Layed down my summon sign at the bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants and helped some guy with just about everything. We beat Gravelord Nito which I think he needed my help with. Seems like it may be a hassle doing it by yourself so I'll have to summon someone. Good to know.

This is all I did over the weekend. Stayed at the 2nd bonfire and layed down my sign near the path where the Skeleton Beast is. That way, even if people who don't go to the 2nd bonfire can still see the sign on their way to the boss fight.

Must have beat Gravelord Nito maybe 10 times. Only died once because the host was an idiot weakling. So I would beat it, go back to my world, considered beating the boss myself, would make my way toward him and then get summoned. Just a non-stop supply of souls all weekend long. And then most of the time when summoned I would kill Paladin Leeroy also which is another 25000. And then spent maybe a little too much time killing skeleton babies but why not.

I was at lvl 116 maybe when I started? At 131 now.

Also helped out this snot-nosed squeely voiced teenage in PVP bragging about how he hacked the game to get certain types of armor and weapons. He was kind of a brat.

Req is doing multiplayer right now so I might hop in a little bit also. Not saying we'll get matched up, just feel like playing.

Requiem 06-04-2012 04:58 PM

Multiplayer is hella fun. Should have done it sooner. I got invaded a few times while helping people, and we always beat them except for one time when the host was a 2-handing noob and got worked in a couple seconds. But when I was by myself and got invaded, I got slaughtered.

Helped a guy beat O&S for the first time and that was cool. Wasn't that hard with people helping. Definitely gonna summon people when I do it. Tried a few other times and the host always got killed when it was SOOO close. Still didn't feel remotely like a challenge even though they totally destroy me when it's just me.

Some guy summoned me earlier and started giving me things. He said some guy summoned him and dropped everything he had. I'm not totally sure he didn't just hack and get all this stuff. He didn't have everything in the game, but there was a STUPID amount of upgraded stuff. He showed me all these random helmets that I didn't even know existed, but were pretty cool. I purposely didn't take as much as he was offering cause I didn't want to ruin it for myself. Took a lot of stuff I couldn't even use on this character so whatever. lol

Only took some awesome upgraded weapons and a few shields. He gave me some random titanite too that he didn't need. Figured that sure as hell beat grinding endlessly for chunks which is something I really just didn't feel like doing any more of since I had only gotten 2 since I started grinding them yesterday. He gave me like 4 of those.

So yeah.

Gonna do some more multiplayer later probably, and get a few more levels before tackling S&O for myself to finally move past this damn place.

El Fangel 06-04-2012 05:09 PM

Goddamn Capra Demon

RoXer 06-05-2012 08:32 PM

This is becoming a thing.

I may buy one but I dunno. I live in the middle of a fucking desert so I may be able to wear it during one month of the year.

El Fangel 06-05-2012 08:42 PM

Req, post that convo from earlier.