TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Spiderman: Homecoming (2017) (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=132589)

Sixx 07-07-2017 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 4988047)
ASM is underrated imo. I think ASM2 was so bad people retroactively poo all over ASM

I liked both. Maybe I'm just such a nerd I'd eat from a trash can if there was SUPERHEROES written on it.

Fignuts 07-07-2017 12:58 AM

This was fantastic.

Should be my automated response for marvel movies.

BigCrippyZ 07-08-2017 02:46 PM

Saw it last night. So fucking great. Even better than I was expecting honestly. At first I still couldn't say it was necessarily as good or better than Spider Man 2, but less than 24 hours later, I'm leaning that it is just as good if not potentially significantly better.

Fignuts 07-08-2017 02:58 PM

Doc ock vs spidey is still my favorite fight in a superhero movie, but beyond that, this was better.

Props for actually making the vulture of all people, badass.

Destor 07-08-2017 05:20 PM

This is the first time they have told an authentic spider-man story to date and im a die hard mark for spidey

BigCrippyZ 07-08-2017 06:41 PM

So far I'd say it's:

1. Homecoming / Spiderman 2
2. Spiderman
3. Amazing Spiderman
4. Amazing Spiderman 2 / Spiderman 3

I might have to give Homecoming just a slight edge over SM2 just because it's most recent and tied into the rest of the MCU, but yes, Spidey vs Doc Ock was also amazing and enough to keep it REALLY close.

slik 07-09-2017 01:00 AM

I liked it a lot!

Very funny/light-hearted but with lots of characters + you really enjoy rooting for Spider-Man. Michael Keaton was a good villain too.

Destor 07-09-2017 01:19 AM

Barring a huge dip in sat/sun numbers S-M:H will Sony's 2nd largest opening weekend ever coming in behind S-M:3

BigCrippyZ 07-09-2017 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 4988613)
Barring a huge dip in sat/sun numbers S-M:H will Sony's 2nd largest opening weekend ever coming in behind S-M:3

Really? 3 was bigger? Wow. I guess it was pretty hyped and following 2, people had high expectations.

Damian Rey 2.0 07-09-2017 04:17 AM

I remember being pumped got SM3. Had so much hope.

Destor 07-09-2017 08:51 AM

Marketing determines opening weekends. Quality determines the rest. With SM3 they had a strong lead in with 1 and 2...add Venom to the mix and you have a box office juggernaut.

KIRA 07-09-2017 02:28 PM

Saw it last night I FUCKING LOVE this Spider-man they nailed it in the casting.

Vulture.... Keaton is sooo damn good I found myself trying real hard not to root for him.

Lock Jaw 07-10-2017 05:13 PM

Just saw it..... thoroughly enjoyed it..... the best representation of Spider-Man to date..... but saying that, I still like the first two Sam Raimi ones more.

Malfeitor 07-10-2017 10:33 PM

8/10. Solid.

Michael fucking Keaton.

Rammsteinmad 07-11-2017 12:11 PM

Gonna go see this TOMORROW!!! Can't wait!!!

Corporate CockSnogger 07-11-2017 07:00 PM

I thought it was good, not great. I love Spider-Man as a character. I love the MCU. For me this film ranked towards around the bottom third of MCU films. For me, and having watched them again fairly recently, Spider-Man 1 and 2 far exceed this film.

There was a lot of good parts. Tom Holland and Michael Keaton were great. Stark and Happy added some good stuff and didn't take over the film. The fact that he's a rough the edges Hero , and that because the Avengers and co exist he's not really a big deal is all great. He's awkward, doesn't like heights just yet and really is just trying to find his feet. I loved all that side of Spidey.

However, all of his classmates were horrible and I hated pretty much everything with Ned, Flash, Michelle and the rest of the decathlon team. Liz was fine, if a bit plain. Ned in particular was so cringeworthy and probably the worst comic relief character in the MCU.

I wasn't a huge fan of the overabundance of tech in his spidey suit but it wasn't a massive hinderence to my enjoyment of the film.

Lock Jaw 07-11-2017 07:11 PM

I wasn't a fan of all the tech in the suit either.... hoping it gets toned down in later films, although there is no logical reason for it to unless he has a falling out with Tony Stark.

I just don't want to see Spider-Man going around talking to his AI, we already have that in Iron Man.

Kalyx triaD 07-11-2017 09:40 PM

I liked it. I'd put Spidey 2 over this still but this movie will loved to be an MCU movie.

Ned was cool. With 'Karen' Peter has his Team Spidey. The last gag with May was great.

He better wear that new suit in Infinity War.

I knew Zendaya was a Mary Jane expy. Not 100% on the 'insufferable activist' gimmick but I like her edge. It just made her put of place in certain situations. She doesn't seem like she'd join a science club thing.

The Cap PSAs were great.

Rammsteinmad 07-12-2017 10:56 AM

Loved it! Vulture was very well done, with great motives. I loved the "they make the mess then get paid to clean it up" angle. The way they implemented Chitauri technology into it all was cool as well. Excellent chemistry between Tom Holland and approximately everyone. Loved the "what the f..." at the end, and the "friends" that Mac Gargon (oooooh yeah) was referring to definitely has me excited for a potential Sinister Six-type group.

Tom Guycott 07-12-2017 10:24 PM

Just saw this. Don't have to gush. You people already know. Okay, a little. ^_^

"... I thought that was the anti-gravity gun?"

Feels weird that I was the only one in the theater who got a nerd boner over Damage Control and recognized that's who they were supposed to be before the news report reveal. I couldn't share. Shoots down my hope for some kind of show, but hey, it actually exists in MCU now, so that makes me happy.

So I'm still holding out hope for some Alpha Flight love.

I can safely say I wasn't the least bit... "disappointed". :shifty:

Tom Guycott 07-12-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 4990054)
I wasn't a fan of all the tech in the suit either.... hoping it gets toned down in later films, although there is no logical reason for it to unless he has a falling out with Tony Stark.

I just don't want to see Spider-Man going around talking to his AI, we already have that in Iron Man.

Seems like something that will get "removed" by Ned and be more of a proxy companion for "the guy in the chair" than an onboard AI for webhead if they go foward with that.

Also, the tech will likely just mostly go unused. He has a bunch o shit he can plot device with like Batman's utility belt, but at the same time, he doesn't know he has most of it, and doesn't seem to like it if it is too much beyond slinging webs to swing on and possibly playing with the drone and/or tracker.

Speaking of web-slinging... loved the bit about having to run across the open field. It was one of the many little subtleties that made this film great.

Kalyx triaD 07-12-2017 10:55 PM

Karen and Droney are going nowhere. They are damn there characters of their own.

Destor 07-17-2017 01:27 AM

S-M:H sees the 3rd largest week 2 drop off in MCU history. Film now projected to bring in equal no. to S-M3 and AS-M2. 460mil total, still pre chineese release. This film was also made for a considerably smaller budget so a sequal isnt in jeopardy but its not a good sign.

Is Spider-man simply not the brand it once was?

Will be watching this one closely.

Destor 07-17-2017 01:42 AM

Drop indicates poor word of mouth...haven't heard any negitive reactions but maybe its just dorks that liked it (like me and my circle)

Dunno...pretty confusing really. Usually these are fairly predictable but this one surprised me.

slik 07-17-2017 01:43 AM

That's very interesting/sort of surprising. Spidey was really well received during CA: Civil War. I do think the teasers/trailers for the film could have been stronger.

I think the Spidey brand is still very strong, though I think Iron Man might have overtaken both him and Wolverine in popularity with the General Public. Maybe this will be similar to Ant-Man, where it does well and is a hit, but some people don't feel it's "must see in the cinema" and watch it later when it's released on dvd/bluray/digital.

slik 07-17-2017 01:44 AM

Really loved both Ant-Man and Spider-Man: Homecoming btw

Emperor Smeat 07-18-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 4991660)
Drop indicates poor word of mouth...haven't heard any negitive reactions but maybe its just dorks that liked it (like me and my circle)

Dunno...pretty confusing really. Usually these are fairly predictable but this one surprised me.

Could also be just some poor timing since War of the Apes came out last week and this film being the type that are very front-loaded for success.

Big Vic 07-24-2017 10:34 AM

Just saw it liked it, can't think of a thing that really put me off about it.

Movie: 8.75/10

MJ: 9/10

Liz: 10/10

Sixx 07-24-2017 10:46 AM

So both Parker's love interests are now black. Fantastic.

Of course whitewashing is a problem, but this is not.

Waiting for KalyX to come here and defend this.

Big Vic 07-24-2017 10:59 AM

Chill out, Liz had great DSL

Sixx 07-24-2017 11:15 AM

No idea what that is.

Big Vic 07-24-2017 11:53 AM

Dick sucking lips

Sixx 07-24-2017 12:00 PM

You kids and your acronyms.

Kalyx triaD 07-24-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixx (Post 4994272)
So both Parker's love interests are now black. Fantastic.

Of course whitewashing is a problem, but this is not.

Waiting for KalyX to come here and defend this.

I tend to take issue with 'stunt' race/gender swapping in comics and movies but I don't mind with either side characters or if the swap was inspired.

What I consider of MJ is she's very hot, abrasive, and challenges Peter in a way Gwen does not. This socially conscious black MJ retains all of that with a dash of Ultimate Comics 'rebel' Gwen Stacey. I dig it.

Flash being south american or whatever is, however, dumb. Not inspired, not even character accurate, very clearly a token.

I promise I'm not saying this because Zendaya is stupid hot. I have no bias in the matter. I never thought about shagging her ever. Not even as I wrote this post.

Kalyx triaD 07-24-2017 02:48 PM

http://cdn02.cdn.justjaredjr.com/wp-...-spiderman.jpg

Big Vic 07-24-2017 03:37 PM

I had no issue with MJ either, besides her name is Michelle, not Mary Jane so she's technically not the same character.

They should have just not called that kid Flash or whatever since I don't think he was a jock at all and the only thing he had in common with the character from the comic book (that I know of) is that he hated on Peter.