TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Anime Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=80720)

Dark-Slicer Diago 11-30-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz (Post 3339394)
Damn there's a Sengoku Basara anime? May need to check out.

Funimation has it on their youtube channel, full episodes in Japanese with subtitles.

Shadow 11-30-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ermaximus (Post 3339412)
Jonny Young Bosch is a piece of shit. True story.

Anyone looking for something new, try Seiken No Qwasar. It's about this guy who gets power by sucking tits. Then he kills the bitches.

The fuck are you talkin' about?

Impact! 12-01-2010 08:08 AM

So has anyone seen Black Lagoon? I've had people tell me to watch it. Good/Bad?

Kalyx triaD 12-01-2010 09:34 AM

idk

Tom Guycott 12-01-2010 09:35 AM

I wish I could. I need some suggestions as well. I like anything good, but am a true sucker for the absurd. As such, I'm a huge fan of the original Project A-Ko, Roujin Z, (showing my age) and Dragonball (Z is great and all, but I've always loved the slapsticky nature of the first series.)

Vietnamese Crippler 12-01-2010 09:40 AM

Maria Holic is pretty absurd.

Ermaximus 12-01-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 3339866)
The fuck are you talkin' about?

http://seikonnoqwaser.blogspot.com/2...-stigmata.html

Seikon no Quasar (Qwaser of Stigmata)
The story is set on the basis of Saint-Mihailov Academy, an orthodox school of Eastern Japan, and draws heavily on religious references of religion above. Here he follows the trials and difficulties of two of his students, and Oribe Mafuyu Tomo Yamanobe up encounter with a mysterious, silver-haired, Russian boy named Alexander, or Sasha for short. The wells themselves and the whole school in a war between the Church itself and the so-called "followers", a sect of people with powers related to the elements of chemistry. Although based on the common concept shown in magical girl series like Sailor Moon, the story diverges showing acts of extreme brutality, bloodshed, and perversion, and also allows extensive use of fanservice.

One important and controversial themes of the series is that of the sacred substance known as Soma, which allows the Qwasers take advantage of their powers and perform their parts in the battle. This is related to the main objective of followers, the Theotokos of Tsaritsyn, an icon depicting the Virgin Mary breastfeeding the child Jesus, who according to their belief, holds the secrets of the sacred mysteries, such as the resurrection of the Messiah. Linked to this the fact that Soma is, in fact, breast milk, and the Qwasers must be replenished through feeding it, a process which apparently derives pleasure and tires severely women who treat them.

Shadow 12-01-2010 03:59 PM

No you asshole. Mr. Bosch being an asshole you fucking idiot.

Ermaximus 12-01-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 3341024)
No you asshole. Mr. Bosch being an asshole you fucking idiot.

Dude, the guy and his band went joyriding in my friends car and did doughnuts in a parking lot while intoxicated. The bastards didn't even have the common courtesy to say thanks for him letting them use his car. This came after us having to buy his band guitar strings, earplugs, and drumsticks because his band "forgot" them. Dude isn't even a B list celebrity but he touts his shit like he's some supreme being.

Now Jason David Frank, that guy is fucking boss.

Kalyx triaD 12-01-2010 09:05 PM

Somehow your buddy's not a dumbass for buying all that crap lending his car to drunken strangers?

That or there's more to this interesting story than you're letting on.

Ermaximus 12-01-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3341391)
Somehow your buddy's not a dumbass for buying all that crap lending his car to drunken strangers?

That or there's more to this interesting story than you're letting on.

It was because JYB was a "guest" at an anime convention that my buddy and a mutual friend of ours started 3 years ago. JYB and his "band" Eyeshine were guests and they wanted to borrow a car so my buddy let them borrow his because he was a con chair and wanted to keep them happy. They initially told him they needed for an hour to go get food. An hour turned into 5 and a half.

Kalyx triaD 12-01-2010 09:25 PM

Sorry but that's a lol-fest.

Never lend your car, even to honored guests. Nobody's that honored. Hmmm... I guess I can hold your car when I head up there?!?!?!?

Ermaximus 12-01-2010 09:26 PM

Kalyx, it wasn't my car. It was my friend Jacob's car.

Kalyx triaD 12-01-2010 09:28 PM

I know. I'm scoping the extent of you and your buddy's similar hospitality.

Ermaximus 12-01-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3341418)
I know. I'm scoping the extent of you and your buddy's similar hospitality.

Ah, well, I think he has learned his lesson.

Kalyx triaD 12-01-2010 09:37 PM

No car for me. :(

Kalyx triaD 12-01-2010 09:38 PM

Fucking love anime. In general.

Kalyx triaD 12-03-2010 11:05 AM

Four eps into Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Doesn't click with me like the first series, maybe I'm still not comfortable with a 'reboot' so soon. This seems to be sweeping through events from the first series, and maybe that is closer to the manga - but certain events that had effect on me isn't as heavy. Like the Tucker/Nina thing; last time I was on the verge of tears after the multi-episode build up. Now it was wrapped up in a single eps.

Of course knowing how it would end maybe lessening the impact, so I'm eager to get past some of this and experience the unfamiliar material. The series seems more fun overall, and the faster pace is a plus for other moments.

Ermaximus 12-03-2010 11:16 AM

What about it don't you like? It's basically an adaptation of the manga.

Kalyx triaD 12-03-2010 11:21 AM

I think it's the 'newbie' shock after being so used to the first series. I never read the manga, so going through plot points with no filler is throwing me off. Still interested enough to watch through it.

Ermaximus 12-03-2010 11:38 AM

It's a damn good series Kalyx. Have you seen Gurren Lagann yet?

Kalyx triaD 12-03-2010 11:44 AM

Yes. It's fuckin hype and epic.

Fignuts 12-04-2010 05:43 PM

Been reading Psyren. Pretty good stuff.

Fignuts 12-04-2010 05:58 PM

Ok, so what is the difference between Full Metal Alchemist anime and manga? Heard the anime isn't as good?

Should I just watch Brotherhood, since it's an actual manga adaptation.

Ermaximus 12-04-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 3344892)
Ok, so what is the difference between Full Metal Alchemist anime and manga? Heard the anime isn't as good?

Should I just watch Brotherhood, since it's an actual manga adaptation.

I'd say watch Brotherhood first and then watch FMA later if you're up for it. The differences are quite noticeable. For example, Brotherhood has way more elemental alchemists than FMA does.

Vietnamese Crippler 12-04-2010 06:22 PM

Original Fullmetal Alchemist anime = really just uses the idea from the manga and tells its own tale. It stays true to the manga up until about episode 25.

Brotherhood = 99% recreation of the manga. Also, the ending to Brotherhood/manga is waaay more sappy than the original anime.

Fignuts 12-04-2010 06:25 PM

Which is better in your opinion?

Vietnamese Crippler 12-04-2010 06:53 PM

I think Brotherhood just barely squeezes pass the original, but I love them both.

Kane Knight 12-04-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3339381)
Finished Fullmetal Alchemist (1st show) for the second time, this time watching all 51 eps and not missing the 3 or 4 I did years ago. Did not know Johnny Bosch had a cameo eps. Cried a total three times during the series. Love this show.

Now on to Basilisk.

Could have sworn he was in more than one, but I think I'm confusing it with one of the other dozen things I've seen him in recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz (Post 3339394)
Damn there's a Sengoku Basara anime? May need to check out.

Yeah, seriously. Hot.

Kane Knight 12-04-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vietnamese Crippler (Post 3344909)
Original Fullmetal Alchemist anime = really just uses the idea from the manga and tells its own tale. It stays true to the manga up until about episode 25.

Brotherhood = 99% recreation of the manga. Also, the ending to Brotherhood/manga is waaay more sappy than the original anime.

Doesn't hurt that production of FMA outstripped the manga.

FMA is good on its own. I haven't started Brotherhood yet, so I can't talk about that, but FMA is definitely worth it.

Ermaximus 12-04-2010 07:57 PM

Honestly Fignuts, watching both won't hurt. They're both pretty damned good.

parkmania 12-04-2010 11:22 PM

Dunno how many already knew about this, but I just found it today:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk5AyXPfVZs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uk5AyXPfVZs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Star Blazers live action

stultiloquy 12-07-2010 05:27 AM

Currently watching:

School Rumble
Last Exile
Ergo Proxy
Gurren Lagaan
Gundam Wing

Kalyx triaD 12-09-2010 08:33 AM

So YouTube only has 18 eps. of Fullmetal...Brotherhood. Just when it was really separating from the old series, pulling me into the story. The 'Oroboros Gang' seems more villain-like this time. Greed's gang... :(

Is it wrong to consider Envy's design 'cute'? I hate myself.

AKin3D 12-10-2010 03:26 AM

:heart: animecrazy.net even though it can be a pain at time.

http://www.animecrazy.net/fullmetal-...herhood-anime/
Also Fullmetal Alchemist: The Blind Alchemist (OVA) is being uploaded.

Kalyx triaD 12-10-2010 03:57 AM

Thanks, but I'm attached to the English cast.

Sixx 12-10-2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3339381)
Finished Fullmetal Alchemist (1st show) for the second time, this time watching all 51 eps and not missing the 3 or 4 I did years ago. Did not know Johnny Bosch had a cameo eps. Cried a total three times during the series. Love this show.

Now on to Basilisk.

You cry watching cartoons?

Hahahaha, I'm legitly laughing out loud.

Kalyx triaD 12-10-2010 06:55 AM

I read BDC's posts now, but I rarely reply due my conclusion that there's not much about him worth taking serious. I noticed you tread down a similar style of his but I let you slide because I like you and you have more substance per posts. But you're driving down that lane.

So I'm not gonna teach you the difference between cartoons and anime, or explain myself as to why I emotionally engage certain shows and movies, because I like you. I like you more than I want you to understand me or anime or whatever.

Just can the 'cool kids' act, it's unattractive.

Sixx 12-10-2010 07:01 AM

Ok, what exactly is the difference between cartoons and anime?

Way I see it not all cartoons are anime, but all anime are cartoons.

Kalyx triaD 12-10-2010 07:04 AM

And that's fine. It's really not worth explaining. I just rather you not do the "Cool kids are into this, geeks are into that" sort of deal. That's all really.